Painkiller on Steam

df0

It got an Edge 3, read into that as much as you want. They said in a genre diverse enough to accomodate Serious Sam, Halo 2, and Half-life, it's amazing generic dross like this still gets made. Massive bosses, circle strafing and chisseling down immense power bars. Also, the game is based on speedruns and high-scoring but you have to wait for the enemies to drop the points after death, which sort of defeats the point.

It's been reasonably successful by placing itself into the eSports lineups. I'd opine there's much better games on Steam.

Gets a wee bit dull mid-way when it all becomes army bases and the like but there are some brilliant levels (the Asylum!) and I really enjoyed playing it. For £12 I say go for it. Just don't sit and play it all in one go, it's more of a 'level a day' kind of game.

THIS.

Painkiller is a fantastically over the top FPS and better at the Serious Sam/Doom gameplay style than both SS and Doom. You get masses of bad guys and masses of heavy duty weaponry, join the dots.

It's very simple but very good at what it sets out to do and massively entertaining with it.

An Edge 3? That's almost unbelievable, Edge were so wrong on this one.

Also: rubberjohnny clearly hasn't played the game so please disregard his opinion.

Fantastic fun.

It's Serious Sam with a dark streak and amazing ragdolls. Some of the darker levels are genuinely creepy though (Asylum, yes) and most of the enemies and levels are as diverse and imaginative as they come. The card-based powerup system isn't to be underestimated either, mixing and matching all the various vision modes, bullet-times and powerups has got suprising depth for a first person game adding a lot of fun to the proceedings. The bosses all look amazing, and have the rare honour of being pitched just right - you shouldn't have too much trouble beating most of them meaning you can enjoy the immense scale and destruction.

Also - old skool secrets, something sadly lacking these days.

Ignore anyone who says it's not worth it.

It's all about the Multiplayer, which is some of the most intensely cranial deathmatching the world's ever seen.

It's a bit professional though, and requires practise simply because of the insane level of skill the dedicated players display in it. It certainly loses points in terms of accessibility because of it, but if you have a knack for it you'll probably find it dangerously compelling online.

No, it's tedious and very dull.

Some big bosses, though.

I didn't even reach the first boss ( I think ) just some underground tomb area, switched it off then.

I really wanted to love it ( never experienced the adrenaline rush that Serious Sam gave me with a game before ) but it was just so repetitive in the worst possible way.

It's the game Doom 3 should have been. About a billion times more fun.

The first PC game I actually completed in quite a few years, just because I was enjoying it so much. The last level is particularly stunning.

Edge didn't score it a 3; I think they gave it a 5. I'd give it a 7.

For 19 Euros, it's a steal.

What happened to the xbox version, is it still coming out in the UK?

I bought it and it's rather good, except for some things like lack of widescreen support and severe cutting down of sound effects. The bosses barely utter a single sound, which is a bit disconcerting. I'm now stuck on a big transparent boss monster in a swamp with no clue what to do.

Edit, i didn't buy it in the UK.

I tried the demo when it was new and its easily the worst fucking fps ever created. Its a fucking joke.

The only thing you can conclude from that statement is that you've not played many FPS's - cos there's a SHITLOAD worse than Painkiller...

Painkiller isn't brilliant but it's fun in short bursts - it's also about £3 from a lot of shops these days...

The core of the game is great craic, only the level design lets it down. Frankly I would find the level select cheat and cherry pick the best, I got too bored by the dull military levels to reach the finale under my own steam.

Enjoyed Painkiller more than Serious Sam, never completed it but did enjoy what I played. I liked the level challenges like "Collect 500 gold" and the like, though some of them were impossible (to me at least). Not a feature that sells the game, but added something extra to work towards.

Like a lot of you chaps I really enjoyed the first couple of levels and then got a little bit bored of it, I have to say. I think I got to the Asylum level. Visually speaking, the game is top notch. The weaponry is also a lot of fun.

I think it all depends on how many waves of unintelligent enemies you can handle :(

So if you haven't already, I think you'd enjoy it for £12. The expansion pack supposedly adds some neat things, but I never checked it out.

I didn't even reach the first boss ( I think ) just some underground tomb area, switched it off then.

I really wanted to love it ( never experienced the adrenaline rush that Serious Sam gave me with a game before ) but it was just so repetitive in the worst possible way.

I wanted to love it, too, and actually bought the expansion pack for it before I'd even played the original (which I did late last year), but it just wasn't fun.

Maybe I should have tried the multiplayer modes.