The Pursuit of Happyness

CarloOos

They explain that misspelling at the start. It has no relevance to the plot whatsoever.

Just like this film had no relevance on my life. I've never, ever been so apathetic to film after seeing it. It's not shit, it's not good, it's just nothing. Two hours of absolutely nothing.

Emotionless.

Hey there.

I cried at the end of this movie... Not a full of sobbing thing. But I did tear up. And I'm really not that type of person either.. I think in my life I can remember tearing up only 3 times because of something I saw on tv or in a film.

And without going into spoilers.. they were not tears of sadness either. They were something else.

I think people who have seen the film will know the moment that "got" me.. And the way the film (relentlessly) builds to said moment.. It just really worked for me.

For that. I dug it.

Despin out.

I saw it, but as much as I like Will Smith, I can't say it was that good. It was one of those that, and this probably isn't the best way to put it, tries to cause as much stress in the viewer as possible by putting our heroes in increasing desperate situations... I didn't really enjoy it. And I know it was based on a true story, but the main character seemed so obviously talented (clever, able to solve the rubics cube straight away, fantastic people skills, plucky) that it was hard to imagine him being in such a tough situation in the first place.

It needed another 15 minutes or so at the end of him actually being happy. I mean, it's obvious after ten minutes that

he's going to get the job

so for it to just end there...it's like they ran out of film and thought 'fuck it, just stick a couple of sentences onscreen saying everything's great, and that's a wrap!"

I liked it, wasn't as strong as it could have been overall but had some really great powerful moments..

When they had to sleep in the toilet and if finally all becomes too much for him and he breaks down

When his son drops his Captain America toy and doesn't understand that they cant stop and get it because if they miss the bus they'll have no-where to sleep.

And obviously the end when all the struggle comes to fruition.

The chemistry between Will Smith and his son definitely made this film, its one for the Dads out there to see.

I really enjoyed the film, and shed a few tears here and there. The chemistry between Will Smith and his son definitely makes the film, I don't think it would have the same affect on the audience or on Will Smith himself had it been any other kid.

Go and watch it you miserable lot. It's actually a happy film.

I can see what people mean by being apathetic to the story and characters. The reason I don't really want to go and see it is because I don't think it will resonate for me. It would be like a 60 year old woman from a poor country not really getting High Fidelity.

I can see what people mean by being apathetic to the story and characters. The reason I don't really want to go and see it is because I don't think it will resonate for me. It would be like a 60 year old woman from a poor country not really getting High Fidelity.

You haven't even seen the film so how you can surmise that is beyond me - your specious analogy is really apt, by the way. The problem with a lot of people, sometimes on this forum included, is that they get mardy because a film is an American tale of triumph, thus meaning it is automatically 'syrupy' whether it actually is or not. They enter the film thinking 'this'll be shit!' and then come out and denounce it as being manipulative or that they were apathetic to the characters because they had nothing in common. It's nonsense. People are people and if there's a genuine human element in a movie it can have an effect on you. Just making bland statements is in no way a decent substitute for a proper opinion and some explanation as to why you didn't like a movie. I'm of course not saying you have to like it but going into a film full of rubbish preconceptions (which are wrong) is totally pointless and not really the reason you'll be watching a film like this in the first place.

You haven't even seen the film so how you can surmise that is beyond me - your specious analogy is really apt, by the way. The problem with a lot of people, sometimes on this forum included, is that they get mardy because a film is an American tale of triumph, thus meaning it is automatically 'syrupy' whether it actually is or not. They enter the film thinking 'this'll be shit!' and then come out and denounce it as being manipulative or that they were apathetic to the characters because they had nothing in common. It's nonsense. People are people and if there's a genuine human element in a movie it can have an effect on you. Just making bland statements is in no way a decent substitute for a proper opinion and some explanation as to why you didn't like a movie. I'm of course not saying you have to like it but going into a film full of rubbish preconceptions (which are wrong) is totally pointless and not really the reason you'll be watching a film like this in the first place.

I think The Pursuit of Happyness's odiously twee and saccharine marketing may have had something to do with those 'rubbish preconceptions' of the picture, strangely.

It wasn't that at all with me. I went in, open minded, and left with no opinion on it whatsoever.

The acting's excellent, Smith and his son have great chemistry. But good acting does not a good film make, and it's totally lacking in everything else - particuarly a third act.

I went along with it for the first hour, 'enjoying' it to a point but not enthralled or anything. I got about half-way through the second hour when I realised I'd been watching the exact same thing, again and again, since his wife left in the opening 20 minutes. Smith is poor, he's low on money, he studies, due to unforseen circumstances he runs out of money, he miracuously sells one of his machines and scrapes by. Rinse and repeat, three times over until the end credits role where Smith finally gets his job (admittedly great acting) with absolutely no build up whatsoever.

It's the direction. I respect the director for not taking the obvious route and clogging the film with overblown sentimentality, but for fucks sake there's a difference between taking an underhanded approach and putting no emphasis on anything at all. There's three main emotional scenes; Smith and his son in the toilet - which would have been more touching if it wasn't in the trailer, his son dropping the toy - a sad scene ruined by the bizzarely happy music playing over it, and Smith finally getting his job - extremely well acted but almost totally empty since it bizzarely comes out of nowhere without any buildup at all.

It's just two hours of Will Smith getting increasingly more desperate, then it ends. The entire film is like a second act because him, his situation and his relationship with his son never change in the slightest. As soon as he goes for that job interview, that's the last scene where anything of any relevance takes place, the rest of it is totally incidental.

I didn't say the film was crap. I'm just giving my opinions of why I won't drag myself out to see this film or pay for a (stupidly expensive) ticket at the cinema. Especially now that other people who have seen it have confirmed my fears of not being overly touched by the characters dilemma.

But hey, if I end up renting it one night I may like it.

I thought the film was ok but I didn't really get the message it was trying to put across.

It seemed Will Smiths character got the motivation to get a better job and improve himself because he saw someone with a Ferrari and wanted that kind of lifestyle. Also at the start of the film he had trouble selling htose bloody machines but by the end he was comfortably selling one a month?