Retro Gamer Issue 34

rg34small9ph.jpg

The Definitive Xevious

Stuart Campbell continues his definitive journey, this time it's one of Namco's earliest franchises

The Making of The Last Ninja

Mark Cale and John Twiddy discuss the difficulties of creating one of System 3's most successful games

The Classic Game - Donkey Kong Country

Retro Gamer decides to revisit one of the greatest 16-bit platformers of all time

The Big Article - Gaming Illuminati

John Szczepaniak goes deep undercover and discovers a new side of the videogame industry

Retroinspection - Sega Saturn

Forget the cynics, Sega's Saturn was one of the best 32-bit consoles ever made. Here's why.

The Making of - Dungeon Master

Dungeon Master was one of FTL's most successful games and spawned a host of copycat imitators. Creator, Doug Bell, reveals every aspect of its fascinating creation.

The Making of - The Secret of Monkey Island

Retro Gamer looks back at the making of one of LucasArt's funniest point-and-click adventures.

Why you must play - Panzer Dragoon Saga

It's one of the greatest RPGs ever made, yet hardly anyone bought it. Time to discover it for yourselves…

The Making of - Head Over Heels

Jon Ritman takes time out to talk to Retro Gamer about his amazing isometric adventure.

And much more including,

Double Dragon

Ranger X

Prehistoric Isle

Metal Slug 1st Mission

Zillion

F*ck a duck, every issue the cover gets better and better, please pass on my congrats to your art dept (or the person who does the cover?!?) they do a sterling job!

The Making of - Dungeon Master

Dungeon Master was one of FTL's most successful games and spawned a host of copycat imitators. Creator, Doug Bell, reveals every aspect of its fascinating creation.

Ace, my fave game ever, can't get enough reading about DM. Looking forward to this issue more than ever.

Do a Strider issue. Dammit.

And Bionic Commando.

Believe it or not, I actually have a contact with Isuke (the guy who created Strider) but he's very reluctant to talk :D

Which in a way is probably a good thing, because once I have a making of that bad boy my work on RG will be done and I can embrace new technology again.

Gotta say, Strider, you folks do a fantastic job of picking wonderful, 'Buy Me!' covers each month. Whether they be recycled Oli Frey Newsfield paintings, or shots of hardware, they're always lush.

Makes me want to buy a copy whenever I see it in the shops (and I already subscribe!).

The Back to the Eighties was a bit all over the place with it's dates. It didn't seem to know if the year was 1983, 86 or 87 :lol:

The article was about 83 but the music singles had it as 86 and the news 87.

A bit sloppy but a great article and made me go all misty eyed about when I first really got into gaming on my Vic 20. I had all the top 5 games listed in that article. Gorf was a particular favourite.

Spent sometime flicking back through each issue last night (I have them all except for issue 1) and Im 90% certain that there hasnt been any articles on the Neo Geo consoles (not including Pocket). Any chance of something on this in the future Strider old chum? :lol:

Spent sometime flicking back through each issue last night (I have them all except for issue 1) and Im 90% certain that there hasnt been any articles on the Neo Geo consoles (not including Pocket). Any chance of something on this in the future Strider old chum? :D

The Neo Geo Pocket was featured in 20. I've a SNK feature lined up for a few issues time.

The Neo Geo Pocket was featured in 20. I've a SNK feature lined up for a few issues time.

That'll do me :D The AES/CD are amazing machines and they seem to get little coverage in general, which is surprising seeing as they were available for nigh on 15 years.