IGNORED

Fist Of The North Star (PS2)

Keyboard Koala

So, the game is being released at the end of March. I've been looking forward to the PS2 release ever since the arcade game hit the streets, so I'm pretty curious if it's really any good. Are there people on this forum who have been playing the arcade game for some time? And what are the overall impressions? I'd like to find out, so I know whether or not to get excited over this release :)

So, the game is being released at the end of March. I've been looking forward to the PS2 release ever since the arcade game hit the streets, so I'm pretty curious if it's really any good. Are there people on this forum who have been playing the arcade game for some time? And what are the overall impressions? I'd like to find out, so I know whether or not to get excited over this release :(

:(:):(:(

Didnt even know this was getting a ps2 release, perfect timing with me having just finished the first series of the anime.

I'm still after a PS1 Fists game that is best descibed as a cool Fighting Force - never found out the full name and there are quite a few fists games in Japan :P

haha fighting force.. I was animator and modeller on that game!! did you know it was originally gonna be streets of rage 4 for saturn?..

just make sure you don't get METAL FIST, it's the japanese version of FF..

looking forward to hokuto no ken, always nice to see an arcade game you thought you'd never play coming to PS2... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahtatatatatatatatatatata!!!!!

Only played it once seems more Guilty gear than 3s. A quick look on youtube for combo vids show its not the most balanced game ever made :P Im still gonna get it for fun.

after looking at the vids, i was expecting better animation... who's gonna do the first HiDef 2D fighter to beat 3S in animation????

after looking at the vids, i was expecting better animation... who's gonna do the first HiDef 2D fighter to beat 3S in animation????

erm, apart from guilty gear XX slash? The sprites in that game are so bloody detailed and it's a better game than 3S... 3S at tourney level is just dry, it's as bad as tekken for that now, once everyone has had enough time, there just isn't enough variation, it's just the same old "wait for someone to cock up first then punish with Super art / Launcher"

GGXX/ has so much more going for it!

As for this, It's pretty broken, there are combos that link into 1 hit kills

's not gonna happen for a very long time methinks. But my guess is SNK Playmore. They've promised us a hi-def KoF someday...

Pfft, keep reaching for that rainbow ^^;;

erm, apart from guilty gear XX slash? The sprites in that game are so bloody detailed and it's a better game than 3S... 3S at tourney level is just dry, it's as bad as tekken for that now, once everyone has had enough time, there just isn't enough variation, it's just the same old "wait for someone to cock up first then punish with Super art / Launcher"

they were nice high res sprites, but the animation was a bit limited, and noone's doing alpha channelled fighter sprites yet either...

I played this pretty heavily when it hit the arcades in Japan. Its a great game very much in the mold of (and made by the same people as) GGX. Animation, music, and visual style are all absolutely lovely. Its very much a combo based game, which doesn't sit all that well with me as I'm a SF freak, but its still great fun. As pointed out earlier, it does have balance issues which will hopefully be sorted out in this version.

I actually played the PS2 version at last years TGS too. It was much slower than the arcade, with the turbo button completely absent. It did look great though. I'd imagine they've had enough time to bring it up to speed by now.

-Jools

Edit: To appreciate this game you really need to watch the TV series first. You can see it here: http://www.heartofmadness.com/. Its not as bad as you'd think.

I still reckon Slayer is overpowered in it, though. Fights aren't the most amazing thing to watch (on youtube). Constantly holding back and mostly using Jam. Baaah.

Back to Fight of the North Star, I'm sure I saw a video of an exploit which allows an infinite combo with a certain characters uppercut. :(

Yep, already seen a lot of them :)

But hey Shend, haven't you played it? I know you're a bit of a SFIII addict, but I thought you could give some gameplay impressions...

I haven't no, although it does look really good fun. From what i've seen, including a few Gamers Vision RanBats it's very much in the guilty gear mould but it's got a ton of meters everywhere for all sorts of stuff! I know as a match progresses when you land a particular hit (i think) one of 7 points (stars) light up, when all 7 are lit you can activate an instant kill signature move from the anime/manga. Probalem lies with the fact that you can end combo's with this move rendering the 3rd round a lesson in who can land the 1st combo starter. Some characters like Heart have infinite's as well. It's still looks like an absolute riot mind and I wouldn't mind a go myself :(

GGXX/ has so much more going for it!

Rediculous.

You can't compare the two titles for a number of reasons. As Jools points out Guilty Gear's style of play is markedly different to Street Fighter III's and each of their systems provide enough variety and depth to carve out their own fanbase and keep them coming back. Guilty Gear's also getting regular updates which'll keep interest high in the series, Accent Core's doing a roaring trade in Japan's arcades atm and fair play to it.

3rd Strike was the last true SF title and it's unlikely we'll another anytime in the future, the fact that 3rd Strike is still in the top 10 most profitable titles in Japanese arcades still isn't because it's dry or lacks variation, quite the opposite.

It's gotten more varied and interesting which is glaringly apparent if you'd paid attention to the scene. In the last couple months alone you've had high tier users such as KO (Yun) switch to mid-tier characters like Makoto and reduce her further down the ranking's by selecting her 'worst' Super Art, one in which you can't block when activated and yet he still beats his peers using Yun and Ken.

A Canadian Urien player Ack beats Boss's Yun and Tokido's Chun Li, both very strong players and an unknown foriegner walks in and kicks two of the best out of a GVision RanBat. And then KO picks Ken and gets railroaded by a Ryu user!

In the Super Battle Opera tournament the US's best team using Ken and Chun Li loses to a team using Q and Hugo. o_0

So there's no better about it, you may prefer one over the other but you're doing a disservice to both with talk of superiority. Guilty Gear does what Guilty Gear does and not what SF does and the beat em up scene is richer for it. But to say 3rd Strike is dry is absurd.