Ghostbusters Remaster coming 2019 - PC/Switch/Xbox/PS4 :: new Ghostbusters game?

Hello Goaty ♥

I'm a Ghostbuster's fan and honestly I loved the first couple of missions, the music, sfx, ambiance etc but then wow it dips...the whole team ran out of ideas quick sharp.

The 1st visit to the Sedgewick was grand, the museum was ok but had me thinking I hope it picks-up after this....then by the time it got to the spiders/spider woman thing I'd completely lost interest. I mean spiders...?! Come on.

On the back of this I'm really concerned about a new movie project.

I think that can be attributed to the developer more than anything else. Wasn't it originally going to be something non-Ghostbusters?

Also, it pales in comparison to that... was it called Ghost Hunter (?) on PS2? By the Primal guys. It was fucking awesome.

Credit where it's due, there's some nice detailing...and the feeling of destruction is great.

I have persistant debris turned off at the moment but even then it leaves enough debris scattered around after a fight. I can't help but smile like a naughty kid when seeing the damage left after capturing a ghost, especially the burned glowing scarring on walls caused by the streams.

I'm interested to see how much they lift from this for the movie. I could definately see the first major ghost encounter in the Sedgewick making it in.

• 4 weeks later...

*raises hand* It's a pretty good cut-down of the HD version. The levels are smaller, some of the bosses/areas are different but the story is basically the same, although some events have been truncated or excised. The Wiimote is a great fit for the neutrona wand, but the bustin' mechanics have been simplified somewhat since you no longer have to wrangle the ghosts into the trap Luigi's Mansion style, just move them over the trap when you've slammed them about enough and they get sucked in.

All in all, not bad and worth a play even if you've gone through the PS3 version. :ph34r:

My housemate has been playing Wii Ghostbusters all yesterday and today, with us watching, and from what I could see it's a solid action title based on the films.

Nuff said. Some of the combat reminds me a bit of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, in that it's simply a case of zap anything that moves. The voice acting and general production values seem pretty high though, and to be fair I didn't get bored watching him play for 2-3 hours. I quite like the cartoony graphics meself, though I haven't seen the 360/PS3 version to compare against.

Think they could've done more with the wiimote controls though - as Staplehead says above to catch a ghost it's just a case of aiming at ghost, throw him about left or right for a bit until an icon tells you to thrust forward the nunchuck and boom, you throw the trap and the ghost goes in.

Without the license though, it'd be a run of the mill 3rd person platformer.

I might get it for the 360 when it's less than a tenner in a year or two.

I think I agree that without the licence it's a run of the mill 3rd person action game, buuuut the licence is so integrated into everything that it raises the bar considerably, right down to the music. It turns the game from what could otherwise be quite a spooky endeavour to a comedy-spooky one which changes the nature of it, and I'm not sure this could have been pulled off with any other franchise, new or old. Because it's Ghostbusters, you know it's never gonna be truly that scary!

A game has to be really special IMO to be completely new and funny at the same time.

A huge part of why Ghostbusters works for me is because it felt like playing a new movie. So yeah, it wouldn't have been so great a game without the licence, but for me the actual gameplay was secondary to everything else going on. It was still fun though. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the PSP version is the same as the Wii's, bar the different controls. Anyone played it yet?

Yeah, I've had a go on the PSP version. It's terrible, to be honest.

Same as the Wii version, but glitchy and controls like a pig. Shame.

For reference, I really liked the PS3 version. :rolleyes:

This arrived from Lovefilm the other day - I was waiting for the 360 release, you see - and I've just had a quick bash at it.

It's all very nice and everything, but catching ghosts isn't very fun at all. It just seems so... boring. The screen tearing is quite horrid too, and the framerate isn't all that smooth. A bit of a disappointment really. I'll be sending it back tomorrow and carrying on with MW2.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got round to trying the demo. The sounds and music are fantastic but, well is the demo indicative of the whole game? Because I wasn't too impressed with the demo level, though it had some nice touches. Perhaps the lack of a tutorial caused the problem but I seem to just be running around with stuff happening. Had no idea how the trap thing worked and I kept trying to freeze the book demon and put a trap down only to find that wasn't what you needed to do. Seemed pretty sluggish as well which for some reason really surprised me.

Unsure so far. Maybe a second hand purchase.

• 2 months later...

I picked this up in the Steam sale for £6. I'm slogging through it, and it has a few moments of fun, but it's mostly awful. If you want to save yourself the money, watch Ghostbusters 2 on DVD (not one, you don't deserve it) and get a friend to occasionally kick you as hard as they can in the back of the head. Then whilst you're sprawled on the floor in agony, they scream MISSION FAILED and skip back to the beginning of whatever chapter you're on.

Incidentally playing on PC and the rug looks sweet. It's not a bad looking game at all, 1080p at 60fps with lots of detail forced through the ATI cpanel.

I picked this up in the Steam sale for £6. I'm slogging through it, and it has a few moments of fun, but it's mostly awful. If you want to save yourself the money, watch Ghostbusters 2 on DVD (not one, you don't deserve it) and get a friend to occasionally kick you as hard as they can in the back of the head. Then whilst you're sprawled on the floor in agony, they scream MISSION FAILED and skip back to the beginning of whatever chapter you're on.

Incidentally playing on PC and the rug looks sweet. It's not a bad looking game at all, 1080p at 60fps with lots of detail forced through the ATI cpanel.

Trust me on this. Turn the difficulty down to easy, makes for a more enjoyable romp.

A more open world GTA-style Ghostbusters game could work, with a better ghost-catching mechanism too (something more like Luigi's Mansion). I just want to go tearing around New York City in the fucking Ecto-1, ya know? Taking jobs as they come and stopping off to capture some ghosts, or investigate some random haunting somewhere, or trap some running ghosts in the park.

A more open world GTA-style Ghostbusters game could work, with a better ghost-catching mechanism too (something more like Luigi's Mansion). I just want to go tearing around New York City in the fucking Ecto-1, ya know? Taking jobs as they come and stopping off to capture some ghosts, or investigate some random haunting somewhere, or trap some running ghosts in the park.

Yes! Just like that, but also Rockband-style multiplayer so me and my mates can start a proper Bustin' business; design our characters, home base, etc. I'd want to play the whole game like that.

And with less fiddly controls.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...