IGNORED

Bill Gates kicking it CES style. word.

Beertiger

finally they admit it was a shit idea releasing a so-called HD console without HDMI, I bet people are gonna love having to buy a new one. Nice way to fuck early adopters if the reliability issues weren't bad enough!

I think, unless I'm drastically mistaken, that everyone who handed over their £270 last year realised that the console didn't have a HDMI slot.

Have you actually tried it out? I'd imagine most people still prefer Google Earth.

yeah and it's way better than Google Earth.

So it's google earth through a web browser. Except you've still got to DL and install the 3D part. And it's a lot slower, presumably because it can't create a local cache of the same size. And of course, its sat images are older and lower quality than Google Earth's, with the labels for places printed onto the satellite photos so they move about as the detail level changes.

Yes, I can see why Google could be worried about this.

Google Earth has a terrible low res photo for where I live, basically I'm a mush of green and brown. This has a decent image where I can pick out my house. As for out of date images, well put in KT16 8PN in both. They're both using images at least a year and a half old. Although MS does use slightly older maps for some parts.

Here ya go. Now which one is better?

earthgoogle.jpg

earthvirtual.jpg

That's a pretty tough call I'll admit and there's not much between the two. Hmm maybe you lot are right and Google Earth just takes it.

yeah and it's way better than Google Earth.

Google Earth has a terrible low res photo for where I live, basically I'm a mush of green and brown. This has a decent image where I can pick out my house. As for out of date images, well put in KT16 8PN in both. They're both using images at least a year and a half old. Although MS does use slightly older maps for some parts.

Here ya go. Now which one is better?

That's a pretty tough call I'll admit and there's not much between the two. Hmm maybe you lot are right and Google Earth just takes it.

Ah, sorry, I was basing my decision on the small village of Edinburgh. I should've gone with a major metropolitan centre as in your example, that would've been fairer.

Edit - My own small village of choice is equally low resolution on both, BTW.

Other Live Maps annoyance: while it's loading the next zoom level (inwards or outwards) the not-yet-loaded sections are black. Even when the next zoom level is just a scaled version of the previous zoom level. Not ideal: I was trying to find Edinburgh there while I waited for the UK to load and I wound up in the North Sea.

Other Live Maps annoyance: while it's loading the next zoom level (inwards or outwards) the not-yet-loaded sections are black. Not ideal: I was trying to find Edinburgh there while I waited for the UK to load and I wound up in the North Sea.

yeah that confused me the first time. Still to try out the speeds of both I started from my home town and put in the postcode for Alton Towers. I entered the code into Google Earth first and clicked enter. Virtual Earth still managed to get there quicker despite the couple of seconds delay in switching windows. Virtual Earth's map of Alton Towers is comically out of date though.

To be fair, Google Earth does spend a while slowly panning the globe over and zooming in, rather than taking you there immediately. A fairer comparison would've been Google Maps which just loads the target location in the same manner as Virtual Earth's 2D mode.

To be fair, Google Earth does spend a while slowly panning the globe over and zooming in, rather than taking you there immediately. A fairer comparison would've been Google Maps which just loads the target location in the same manner as Virtual Earth's 2D mode.

I was still in Virtual Earth's 3D mode. Virtual Earth just pans quicker. It's the 3D map for the man on the go. I'm sure using both the 2D maps they're instant.

www.live.com

Check out the 3D maps which you can fly around using the wired 360 pad.

Where is it, all I can see is the Windows Live search? ... Ah wait, no, it only works in IE. On Windows XP or Vista. With DirectX 9.

It's certainly a visualisation like Google Earth, but it doesn't replicate all of GE's features (e.g. sharing locations, data layers). However it is an improvement on Google Maps - I'd use it when they make it compatible with all browsers/OSes.

They showed UNO being played on a Live Anywhere PC. It was just as boring as it is on the 360 so at least PC users get the full experience.

.::: You should try UNO on Live with alcoholic beverages, Vision-cams and a bit of 'fun'.

Encouragingly, Microsoft say the IPTV thing is going to be released in Europe. Considering all the problems with licensing shows, though, there's a number of hoops to jump through. The newer first-run contracts for US telly shows generally have clauses in them prohibiting new material being broadcast over the Internet to UK homes from anyone else, for example. I don't know quite how Microsoft intend to get past that.

I think, unless I'm drastically mistaken, that everyone who handed over their £270 last year realised that the console didn't have a HDMI slot.

No shit. Way to miss my point. But if you're happy about it then that's fine.

finally they admit it was a shit idea releasing a so-called HD console without HDMI, I bet people are gonna love having to buy a new one. Nice way to fuck early adopters if the reliability issues weren't bad enough!

HDMI doesn't actually improve anything, though.

"Having to buy"? Component does 720p and 1080i just fine. Both high definition.

Spin spin spin.

HDMI doesn't actually improve anything, though.

This is exactly what makes the bitching so funny though. It seems people hear the letters HDMI, see that they haven't got it and assume that it's the hyper mega super picture that annihilates everything else.

"Having to buy"? Component does 720p and 1080i just fine. Both high definition.

Spin spin spin.

and it does 1080p on compatible sets, which can also be done over VGA. It's my understanding that you'll need VGA for 1080p on HD-DVD though. Perhaps someone else can clear that one up.

Where is it, all I can see is the Windows Live search? ... Ah wait, no, it only works in IE. On Windows XP or Vista. With DirectX 9.

Type a place into the search bar, and click on the 'Maps' tab below, press go. Should come up. And it's working on my Firefox 1.5...