Problems with Wii VC games?

choddo

Summary so far (8 Jan 1057)

TVs that work

Samsung LE32R41B (Vestan Pance via Yamaha RXV359, SMB, Sonic et al)

Panasonic TX-32LX500A (SPE, Gunstar Heroes)

Samsung LE26R41BD (spicy.meatball, Super Mario Bros)

Samsung LE40N73BDX (Joyrex-J9, SMB, DJC, Gunstar Heroes)

Toshiba 32WLT66 (deKay, SMB, Sonic)

Samsung LE26R74BDX (Sigourney Beaver, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic, SMB)

Samsung LE32R74BDX (Rexel1)

LG 50" Plasma (Landshead, SMB)

Panasonic 42PX60 Plasma (Kryptonian, DKC)

Panasonic PWD5 (scottcr, interesting comment about tearing on MD & SNES games maybe indicating fluctuating framerate?)

TVs that don't work

Samsung SM940MW (Chooch81, MD games seem to come up green)

Sharp LC32P70E (Luke, DKC and Sonic both have odd colours)

Polaroid FLU-2632 (willmill, usual problems with SNES, NES, MD)

Samsung LE27T (cassidy, Gunstar Heroes, Solomons Key)

Samsung 940MW LCD (scottcr, usual problems)

Hyundai Q321 (MID, usual problems with MD, NES & SNES)

Panasonic PHD8 via vp50 (choddo, usual problems, only when passing through framesync from Wii)

If you're having problems with your TV via component from the Wii VC, can you post which games & what happens? And what kit?

Me;

Wii->vp50 scaler->Panasonic 42PHD8 plasma.

If I tell the scaler to output 50Hz locked framerate which is the normal way to handle PAL signals... and is what most TVs would do internally

SimCity (NES) won't work at all, screen flickers & won't sync.

Sonic (MD) sometimes works depending on what else I've run first.

Donky Kong Country (SNES) same as SimCity

Gunstar Heroes (MD?) seems to be the same

and these are all fine

Mario64 (576i)

R-Type (480p)

Super Star Soldier (480p)

Panasonic 42PX60 Plasma

No problems so far - I only have Donkey Kong Country, Super Star Soldier & Bomberman '93 at the moment though.

I know my TV supports 480p & 720p at 50 & 60Hz though which I thought was the problem most people were having. Are there any other issues?

Guest alisdair

US Wii via component to:

Samsung LE26R41B: mostly works, but some minor tearing quite frequently occurs on NES and Genesis games.

Toshiba 32WLT68: works perfectly and looks spectacular.

Games include Mario 64, Super Mario Bros., F-Zero, Sonic the Hedgehog, and R-Type. No real problems overall on either set.

Panasonic 42PX60 Plasma

No problems so far - I only have Donkey Kong Country, Super Star Soldier & Bomberman '93 at the moment though.

I know my TV supports 480p & 720p at 50 & 60Hz though which I thought was the problem most people were having. Are there any other issues?

I think all those 3 games work fine on mine too. My scaler & TV certainly both support all those resolutions. I've got a feeling it's something weird about the output of the PAL Wii when emulating certain consoles.

I just expect TV's to work and stuff. How naive of me.

You'd kind of hope so wouldn't you

Toshiba 32WLT66. PAL Wii connected by component, set to 480p.

Have:

MD: ToeJam and Earl, Sonic

N64: Mario 64

PCE: Bomberman '93, Bonk

SNES: Super Castlevania IV

No problems at all with any of them.

Sharp LC32P70E, UK Wii, Component connection

Games:

Donkey Kong: The colours look odd (maybe missing green), and anything moving on the screen is just a black flickering blur - which means the game involves getting a black flickering blur to jump over other black flickering blurs, against a black background (which is challenging, but not much fun) . When I press the home button, the image in the background then seems to have all the correct colours.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Works fine initially, but as soon as I go back to it after having hit the home button it has the same problem of odd colours and moving objects being black blurs. It then seems to be like that until I've gone and deleted the saved state from the internal memory - after that, it works fine again.

The TV reports the signals as coming through as 576i, which with it's "Pal Perfect Picture" technology, should be, well, perfect.

The Wii is set to 480p, widescreen, but seems to ignore this setting. I've multiple combinations of settings on my Wii, and my TV though.

Right, so this isn't related to the VC but we may as well make this a catch-all "Component cable woes" thread.

Whenever I get a strike in Wii Sports Bowling the image goes black for a few seconds at the beginning of the replay. This is the only time it happens and it happens in all video modes. :)

I'm pretty close to just doing a fuck it and buying a US console.

Got a Samsung LE26R74BDX this morning. Connected via component at 480p all VC games work so far.

Got:

Alien crush

RType

Super star soldier

Gunstar heroes

ristar

sonic

super mario bros

If more info is needed just ask.

Wii post!

Edit: UK Wii.

Got the same tv but the 32" version, all VC games working fine through component

Toshiba 32WLT66. PAL Wii connected by component, set to 480p.

Have:

MD: ToeJam and Earl, Sonic

N64: Mario 64

PCE: Bomberman '93, Bonk

SNES: Super Castlevania IV

No problems at all with any of them.

In addition to this, I can now say:

NES: Super Mario Bros

And it too is perfect.

The problem is more widespread than I thought!

No problems here: UK Wii --> Official Component Cable --> Joytech 540C --> Samsung LE40N73BDX

I've tried; Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, SMB, Gunstar Heroes.

Wii set to 480p - BTW does that make any difference?

No chance, that couldn't happen on my setup, it'll take any old crap.

It's something like frames being dropped and a sync pulse not being sent or something. My scaler doesn't mind what the Wii is sending at all and if I set the output from that to "50Hz UNlocked" which doesn't guarantee matching one output frame for every input frame ... then it works fine (I think at this point it's sending a clean 50Hz signal to the TV without caring what it's getting from the Wii, maybe duping missing frames or something?)

But I really don't know enough about it at all hence this thread (which is being really helpful, thanks all) and trying to find out if the scaler peeps have any diagnostic stuff they can send us to analyse what the Wii is sending so that we can get an idea of what the lovely little box is actually doing wrong. Luckily a guy who's a beta tester for the scaler manufacturers has seen the problem too and is helping me on this or they'd probably just ignore me. They might anyway but it's worth a shot. Even if they can help, I bet they don't reply til after CES.

This is spooky - I was assuming it was a 50hz problem.

Any of the people with problems using the official cable?

Yes, happens with both Mad Katz & Nintendo component cables, but not composite (which can also send the 576i signal for Sonic and SimCity of course) which makes it even more confusing.

No chance, that couldn't happen on my setup, it'll take any old crap.

But it could be the Wii not outputting the right info or format or whatever for changing the res, which some TVs cope with, and others don't?

Pal Wii (set to 480p) --> official component cable --> Joytech JS965 AV Control Centre (doing that trick of putting a S-Video to 2 phono adapter thingy in) --> Samsung LE26R41BD

Games tried

NES : Super Mario Bros

SNES : Super Castlevania 4

N64 : Super Mario 64

All seem to work fine (thankfully, as I'm a complete technical numpty) and look crisper than a pack of McCoys.

Also tried it with cable plugged directly into TV, again all seemed fine

All seem to work fine (thankfully, as I'm a complete technical numpty) and look crisper than a pack of McCoys.

So, not at all then? McCoys aren't crisps - they're "crinkle potato fries" or something :)

Back on-topic, and I've noticed that VC SMB seems to run about five times faster than NES SMB.

Back on-topic, and I've noticed that VC SMB seems to run about five times faster than NES SMB.

Perhaps it's to redress the balance and make up for the snail like speed of VC Sonic. :)

It would explain why I did so poor at SMB; I've often played it via emulators over the years and not fared as badly as I have on the Wii

Could be cable related?? Any of the people with problems using the official cable?

Yep, official component cable - Japanese import, but I guess that makes no difference.

Also, not wanting to sound patronising, but are people who are saying they're using component (the ones not having any issues) sure they are using component, and not making the common error of confusing component with composite. It's a mistake that keeps cropping up round these parts, so I thought I'd best check. If you haven't gone out and bought a special cable, then you're using composite, not component.

So, not at all then? McCoys aren't crisps - they're "crinkle potato fries" or something :)

Things can be crisp without being crisps.