rllmuk
rubberducker

Burnout Paradise

Quick and silly question that I think I know what the answer is: can Burnout Paradise PS3 players play multiplayer with Burnout Paradise PS4 players?

Do you have the original game (not any remastered version)?

The (online) party is over Aug 1st, folks (source).

Trying to get into this, and struggling, so I went online and checked out the reviews, and specifically this one sums it up:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-14-burnout-paradise-remastered-review-driving-perfection

Basically, it's a glowing review that praises everything about the game, then says "but it's not even the best Burnout", followed by pages and pages of comments that mirror my experience of the game.  The problem I'm having is that I'm wanting to race but every time I get to a junction I'm having to bring up the map. You can't zoom in close on the map so it's really difficult to see which route to take, and the other vehicles head off on their own routes anyway, so it barely feels like racing.  There isn't a GTA style sat-nav or the neon chevrons of the previous games, and (maybe because of the remaster) the environment is so detailed that you can't see the individual turns coming.  There are other things that I find frustrating , such as the garages and carwashes that are on corners.  These are obviously designed to be driven through at speed during a race but again (maybe the graphical detail again) it's not clear which way they face so when you approach them you only realise at the last minute that you're crashing into the side of it rather than driving though it.

This game seems universally praised, so I'm wondering, how long does it take to get familiar with the map? How long will I have to play before I know where all the shortcuts are?  Because at the moment, I wish there was a linear structure when I could do race number one, and if I complete it I can play race number 2, and the open world seems entirely at odds with the type of game it is.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dumpster said:

This game seems universally praised, so I'm wondering, how long does it take to get familiar with the map? How long will I have to play before I know where all the shortcuts are?  Because at the moment, I wish there was a linear structure when I could do race number one, and if I complete it I can play race number 2, and the open world seems entirely at odds with the type of game it is.

I don`t think it`s universally praised outside of media outlets, there are plenty of racing game fans (myself included and I know I`m not the only one on this forum) who dislike open world settings in racing games.

Some people like it and some people really don`t. Sounds like you might be in the latter camp if you prefer well designed individual courses to driving around an open world.

I`ve tried to get into several open world racers including this one and I never get comfortable enough navigating the open world that I could say it doesn`t detract from the racing for me. I have to split my attention between racing and keeping my eye on a map/waypoints and it stops me getting into a flow in the way I might on a linear course.

I can clearly remember the tracks from plenty of classic track based games but the open worlds I can just remember the general theme (this one was set in a city, that one was set in a desert etc).

It`s just preference though.

27 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The problem I'm having is that I'm wanting to race but every time I get to a junction I'm having to bring up the map. You can't zoom in close on the map so it's really difficult to see which route to take, and the other vehicles head off on their own routes anyway, so it barely feels like racing.  There isn't a GTA style sat-nav or the neon chevrons of the previous games, and (maybe because of the remaster) the environment is so detailed that you can't see the individual turns coming.    

Your car indicates automatically to let you know to turn left/right in a race well before you need to. Doesn't matter too much if you miss a turn here and there though really, it's only a bit of a pain in the top left of the map where you can really go out of your way by accident... even so a quick 180 can usually sort you out when you realise. You're right that it's not racing as you might expect though, you just point your car in the general direction of the goal on the minimap and accelerate 'til you get there with much of the challenge being in not crashing and generating as much boost as possible.

• Upvote 1

The remaster could’ve easily addressed this with a QoL improvement to the mini-map (displaying the optimum route) as other open world games do.

It’s less of an issue once you learn the common routes and destinations. And it  makes for some frought, edge-of-your-seat moments. But of course it can also be incredibly frustrating - the restart is only a couple of clicks away.

You don't need to learn the map really. You get a general gist over time anyway. All the finish lines are at the 8 compass points, so head in that general direction and you'll get there. I guess the only one your struggle with is west because there's no shortcuts if you go the long way round.

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly the turns are also indicated at the top where street signs fade in as you approach a junction. It's still not ideal. It did feel like a very deliberate attempt to move as far away closed-off racing as possible, it was a gamble that partly worked, but sadly going back to it I couldn't invest enough time to really get the map and develop the innate sense of direction and place you need to really get the most out of it. It's almost paradoxical: instant-action arcade racing that needs a time investment to enjoy.

I liked it in Midnight Club 3 where you'd have a mixture of checkpoint races (albeit still open) and straight up "here's the finish, get there any way you like".

Yeah I guess it's very much an antiquated design choice. It didn't bother me when I went back to the remaster but then I'd put over a hundred hours into it originally.

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

There isn't a GTA style sat-nav or the neon chevrons of the previous games, and (maybe because of the remaster) the environment is so detailed that you can't see the individual turns coming.  

It's the same feelings I had about the Criterion designed Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Looked amazing and it was nice having some of the open world elements, but it was a nightmare trying to race. I had no idea where I was supposed to be going, meaning it felt like races were more about memorising where the course was than actually just enjoying the race.

my son loves doing donuts though...

Also the problem you're having is you're playing it wrong. This isn't about racing it's about smashing through gates and billboards and jumping off the roof of car parks.

• Upvote 3

On 09/05/2019 at 11:00, dumpster said:

Trying to get into this, and struggling, so I went online and checked out the reviews, and specifically this one sums it up:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-14-burnout-paradise-remastered-review-driving-perfection

Basically, it's a glowing review that praises everything about the game, then says "but it's not even the best Burnout", followed by pages and pages of comments that mirror my experience of the game.  The problem I'm having is that I'm wanting to race but every time I get to a junction I'm having to bring up the map. You can't zoom in close on the map so it's really difficult to see which route to take, and the other vehicles head off on their own routes anyway, so it barely feels like racing.  There isn't a GTA style sat-nav or the neon chevrons of the previous games, and (maybe because of the remaster) the environment is so detailed that you can't see the individual turns coming.  There are other things that I find frustrating , such as the garages and carwashes that are on corners.  These are obviously designed to be driven through at speed during a race but again (maybe the graphical detail again) it's not clear which way they face so when you approach them you only realise at the last minute that you're crashing into the side of it rather than driving though it.

Quoting myself here as a lot can change in a year.  This game is outstanding. 

First, I still prefer tracks. The open world thing makes it too hard to learn the circuits. In traditional racing you know those courses in detail , but in this it's too big.  I'd prefer options to make the HUD map bigger , have satnav display to follow and an audio cue for the turn signs.  

But yes  what a game.  Over 10 years old and still best in class. The 60fps remaster on a standard PS4 is silky smooth and the gameplay is perfect....  And then, two more things.

Number one. The "Road Rules".  I missed them entirely and they create a reason to drive around the map. I'd previously been bored driving to the start points but beating these records and getting unlocks is great fun.  

And second.... How? Just how did I never even try the DLC?   It's a revelation.  Burnout Bikes is by a mile the best motorbiking game I've ever played. The handling is perfect. Twitch controls, ridiculous speed and the feeling of always being on the verge of a crash if you don't concentrate and practice.  

The game shows its age a bit (I dislike bring told you can't start a race because it's the wrong time of day, because you can go into a slow system of menus and change it, where the game should just offer to do it for you right there) and some parts of the map are a bit too busy (it's easy to ride through an amazing section of road then wonder where the hell it was if you wanted to do that again).  But my god, a bit of practice and this has become an all time favourite for me.  Further proof (in my mind at least) that the best games on the PS4 can be the remasters of games from previous generations. 12 years ago they pushed the console to its limits and today you play the same great game on a console that handles it with ease. 

• Upvote 3

It's one of those games that you can play in many different ways... You can race.... You can just drive around having fun smashing things up or going on billboard hunts etc. Great game to play online too back in the day when people were playing it 

Sure racing was a bit frustrating in the traditional circuit based sense but that is the beauty of this game. Find a way to the finish line any way you can! Total carnage. Not just about winning. Just getting across the finish line in one piece is a challenge at times! It's a game to have fun with and not to be taken too seriously. All played out at 60fps.

• Upvote 1

Just checked to see if I have this on Steam and the Ultimate Box came out over 11 years ago!! WTF! 

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

First, I still prefer tracks. The open world thing makes it too hard to learn the circuits. In traditional racing you know those courses in detail , but in this it's too big.  I'd prefer options to make the HUD map bigger , have satnav display to follow and an audio cue for the turn signs.  

Or watch the indicators on the back of your car and follow them at the next turn...  I think that I chased down the Road Rules and use the names of the streets to build a mental map.

I always found that the end points were chosen from a set list of finishing points, so once you figured out where you were heading you could use existing route knowledge to get there.  Combined with remembering street names, I knew when to prepare for a turn.  "Go down West St, third left into Future St" sort of thing.

• Upvote 1

Released on June 19th for the Switch, looking forward to it because I never got the chance to play it originally. It sounds like it's more akin to Need For Speed: Most Wanted than Burnout 1 or 2 and I really struggled with the open world nature of the racing, I just wished they'd put massive digital chevrons on the streets to show you where you should be going , but still have the choice of going anywhere else. At times it felt like you were having to memorise the track, rather than get into the zen like state of Burnout 1 and 2 with a forced track. But in saying that my son loves the ability to just drive around and pull donuts.

Still going to get this, hopefully it brings back those great memories of Burnout 1 and 2... man, I loved those games.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Released on June 19th for the Switch, looking forward to it because I never got the chance to play it originally. It sounds like it's more akin to Need For Speed: Most Wanted than Burnout 1 or 2 and I really struggled with the open world nature of the racing, I just wished they'd put massive digital chevrons on the streets to show you where you should be going , but still have the choice of going anywhere else. At times it felt like you were having to memorise the track, rather than get into the zen like state of Burnout 1 and 2 with a forced track. But in saying that my son loves the ability to just drive around and pull donuts.

Still going to get this, hopefully it brings back those great memories of Burnout 1 and 2... man, I loved those games.

Oh, I'll also get it for Switch... when it is in a sale!  £44.99!!

• Upvote 1

Just picked this up on the Switch.I guess if you've played it before or have access to it on other consoles for cheaper then the price might be an issue, but having never played it before and with all the additional DLC included, to me it feels like it's worth it. It might not look as glossy as the later Need for Speed games and the cars are unlicensed, but it's great to play what's so rare these days - an arcade racer that's so much fun. Sure, there's maybe a few niggles with having to manually drive to each race or the Junkyard to change cars, but I suppose this was the game that set the template for an open world racer. The motorbikes are particularly great fun, it makes me wish that the same engine was used to produce an unashamed Super Hang On style of racer (or maybe even used as the engine for a Road Rash game, seeing as EA owns it) as the handling is just so good. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

Just picked this up on the Switch.I guess if you've played it before or have access to it on other consoles for cheaper then the price might be an issue, but having never played it before and with all the additional DLC included, to me it feels like it's worth it. It might not look as glossy as the later Need for Speed games and the cars are unlicensed, but it's great to play what's so rare these days - an arcade racer that's so much fun. Sure, there's maybe a few niggles with having to manually drive to each race or the Junkyard to change cars, but I suppose this was the game that set the template for an open world racer. The motorbikes are particularly great fun, it makes me wish that the same engine was used to produce an unashamed Super Hang On style of racer (or maybe even used as the engine for a Road Rash game, seeing as EA owns it) as the handling is just so good. 

One of my favourite ever games, it takes no time to learn the map and the online challenges with a group of people are great fun. Big Surf Island is even better. I’d love it on Switch but it’ll have to be cheap as I have it on plenty other formats.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

If you've never played it it's worth the money on the Switch as it's a great game. Problem is I don't really have a desire to play it in handheld mode and have it on the 360 and bought it at launch. Oh and the remastered version is part of EA Origin sub or just £4.99 on the PC! 

Glad you are enjoying it's an awesome game! 

• Upvote 1

Given the sheer amount of content, it's worth the asking price. Ties with Revenge for being my favourite Burnout (although I never played 2 which everyone says was the best Burnout)

2 is the best if you played it at the time. It's definitely still the "purest" racer of the Burnout series as it doesn't have takedowns or the power up nonsense in the crash junctions.