rubberducker

Burnout Paradise

If the current existing PC version can't match an Xbox One X with roughly equivalent GPU power and way better CPU power, it's either a problem with the existing Criterion code not scaling well to 4K as it was praised for being a very good PC port or the upcoming PC port is going to run even shittier at 4K.

The current PC version is just a port of the original console release. I doubt there are any performance issues, but obviously it doesn't have any of the new textures, lighting and stuff.

• Upvote 1

At midnight CET.

Which means the game is playable at midnight today.

edit: perhaps I am misremembering, but I swear games go live at 23:00 UK time because that equals midnight CET.

29 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The current PC version is just a port of the original console release. I doubt there are any performance issues, but obviously it doesn't have any of the new textures, lighting and stuff.

Watch the video from Digital Foundry, neither a GTX 1060 or RX 580 can hold 60fps at 4K all the time and perform worse than the X1X version which only has one problem area found so far. Other last gen PC ports can do 4K/60fps without problems on that class of hardware.

Given I've just completed forza horizon 3 (loved it but got a bit sick of the volume of challenges), is this different enough to warrant a purchase?

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Watch the video from Digital Foundry, neither a GTX 1060 or RX 580 can hold 60fps at 4K all the time and perform worse than the X1X version which only has one problem area found so far. Other last gen PC ports can do 4K/60fps without problems on that class of hardware.

It's not a port of the last-gen version. It's been remade.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

I haven't watched the video, but again I don't think the claim is that the Xbox One X is better at running the game than a PC would be. I'd go for it being down to an issue with the original code like you suggested, which would presumably be addressed for the remaster.

This unlocked at midnight on PSN, and I couldn't resist having a quick play. Playing on PS4 Pro in 4K and it looks very pretty.  

I played for just over an hour and a half and have C license acquired, 152/400 smashes, 28/120 billboards, 16/50 jumps. 19 trophies! I could have carried on playing all night. Love this game. 

• Upvote 2

i just tried the PC version, now i admit this is on a 1070, but. At 4k downsampled (only 1080p screen), it ran flawlessly at 60fps.

and, it ran at 40% gpu usage...while the card was only running at 975mhz 0_o The cards standard "gaming" speed is 1500mhz ish, and it will boost up to 1900mhz, so not anyway nearly taxing the system. 

So it would be nice to know exactly what the stats were from the DF vids, as i cant understand how a 1060 couldn't run this at 4k60.

AND it still looks very nice at that res! really clean :)  i may go play some other old games now!

I maybe should add that i turned off the weird ssao effect cos it just looked...wrong, as they mention in the DF vid, it  creates a weird sort of blur on things, unless it was that effect that fucked up performance lol.

Played it for an hour. Worth every penny. I will rinse every Trophy as never completed it last time.

EA could’ve done more to polish up a few rough edges and make it look more current, smoothed out some angular curbs, altered some repetitive textures, fresh lighting etc - but it was already one of the best looking games of last gen and it still plays flawlessly. It feels SO GOOD to play and the open world is densely packed, there is a challenge, stunt or collectible around every corner, it’s a phenomenal playground.

It’s the best Burnout by a billion fucking miles and one of the greatest games of all-time. But it seems the open world approach is marmite for some people. 

One odd note: I’m playing on PS4Pro at 1080p and to my eyes it doesn’t seem to be supersampling.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Played it for an hour. Worth every penny. I will rinse every Trophy as never completed it last time.

EA could’ve done more to polish up a few rough edges and make it look more current, smoothed out some angular curbs, altered some repetitive textures, fresh lighting etc - but it was already one of the best looking games of last gen and it still plays flawlessly. It feels SO GOOD to play and the open world is densely packed, there is a challenge, stunt or collectible around every corner, it’s a phenomenal playground.

It’s the best Burnout by a billion fucking miles and one of the greatest games of all-time. But it seems the open world approach is marmite for some people. 

One odd note: I’m playing on PS4Pro at 1080p and to my eyes it doesn’t seem to be supersampling.

Surely all titles super sample now with 5.5 regardless?

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Surely all titles super sample now with 5.5 regardless?

Only if you enable the feature, and then only if the game is Pro enhanced. Burnout Remastered should work with it though.

Where do I enable the feature? 

I clocked some shimmering on distant objects, which i don’t get with The Witche 3 or Titanfall 2 supersampled.

edit: Sound and screen> video output settings>ss mode enable

20 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Where do I enable the feature? 

"On your PS4 Pro system, go to [Settings] > [Sound and Screen] > [Video Output Settings] > [Supersampling Mode] > [Enable Supersampling Mode]." :)

It basically tricks the game into thinking you have a 4K TV, which isn't ideal but it does the job for games that don't otherwise support supersampling.

• Upvote 1

Supersampling hasn’t made any difference, actually. I think there’s some sort of filter going on that might be causing it, but the game is suffering from jaggies for me at 1080p.

edit: the areas that are jagged are inconsistent. Tends to be distant road side detail, whilst the background horizon building silhouettes are benefiting. It’s very odd when everything about the picture quality of TW3/TF2 is crystal clear.

20 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It's not a port of the last-gen version. It's been remade.

I was referring to the existing PC version. The performance problems it has at 4K are curious, as other last gen PC ports of console games which targeted 720p/30fps can be bruteforced to 4K/60fps on modern PCs, yet this was a 720p/60fps console game not being able to do the same, which is interesting.

5 hours ago, 5R7 said:

i just tried the PC version, now i admit this is on a 1070, but. At 4k downsampled (only 1080p screen), it ran flawlessly at 60fps.

and, it ran at 40% gpu usage...while the card was only running at 975mhz 0_o The cards standard "gaming" speed is 1500mhz ish, and it will boost up to 1900mhz, so not anyway nearly taxing the system. 

So it would be nice to know exactly what the stats were from the DF vids, as i cant understand how a 1060 couldn't run this at 4k60.

Leadbetter tested it, he mentions both GFX cards can't maintain 60fps at all times, with the GTX 1060 showing problems mainly during crashes, where the X1X is rock solid. So I'd hope a GTX 1070, which has a sizeable power advantage over the 1060 would iron out those pockets of underperformance :P

Remasters usually tend to be more demanding than the originals, so it'll be interesting to see what the requirements for it are now, as the original Ultimate Box release runs on the so-called Potato:

Supported OS: Windows XP (SP2), Windows Vista

Processor: 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 XP / 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 Vista

Memory: 1 GB RAM XP / 1.5 GB Vista (2 GB recommended)

Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compatible with Shader Model 3.0, requires 128 MB or more and contain one of these chipsets: Nvidia 6600 or greater, Radeon X1300 or greater

• Upvote 1

The game crashes on PS4.

They couldn't be arsed to add in streetlights or traffic headlights.

The aliasing is shocking even supersampled.

The main artwork is really shoddy. At a glance it looks fine, but study the logo you can see where they’ve cut and flipped the bg image (the lighthouse shows up 3-4 times, and they applied the wrong blend mode to some layers).

Still an amazing game, but a shoddy remaster. Deserved better.

This is fantastic. I haven't played a burnout game since Revenge, having missed out on this at the time, but I remember now why I loved the series so much. :D

I'm not seeing any jaggies here incidentally, although I'm paying on the One X. It looks like a touched up 360 game like you'd expect, but it's sharp as anything.

• Upvote 2

Somebody else tested the PC version a while ago at 4K, the results back up what Digital Foundry reported, in fact they look even worse for the GTX 1060 than what Leadbetter commented. The source of the problem at 4K seems to be the SSAO, as even the GTX 1050 Ti performs way better at 4K with that setting disabled, while the GTX 1070 or better cards can just bruteforce their way to victory:

8POHDWn.jpg

On 16/03/2018 at 18:35, grindmouse said:

The game crashes on PS4.

They couldn't be arsed to add in streetlights or traffic headlights.

The aliasing is shocking even supersampled.

The main artwork is really shoddy. At a glance it looks fine, but study the logo you can see where they’ve cut and flipped the bg image (the lighthouse shows up 3-4 times, and they applied the wrong blend mode to some layers).

Still an amazing game, but a shoddy remaster. Deserved better.

Sure you haven’t put in the PS3 version by mistake ? I’m playimg on a pro , admittedly on a 4k set and it’s pin sharp . And car headlights are there . No crashes either .

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Sure you haven’t put in the PS3 version by mistake ? I’m playimg on a pro , admittedly on a 4k set and it’s pin sharp . And car headlights are there . No crashes either .

Could be a supersampling issue. As I say it’s inconsistent. The car outline is sharp, but then anti-aliasing seems absent elsewhere, likely to do with some sort of visual effect they’re using.

At full 4K it’s probably not an issue.

The car headlights don’t cast light on to the road.

Lots of users reporting crashes on PS4.

This game is just on another level, the sensation of speed is incredible and I’m only on B License, so it gets twice as fast.

The flow of the level design, considering it’s an open world game, is godlike. Everywhere you turn there are hooks, alleyways and ramps leading to more and more. I kind of enter a trance-like state with it, just a constant rush.

Pulled off a 513 degree flatspin as caught my tail end coming off a ramp On Big Surf - but it still records my best spin as only 103 degrees. Ack.

• Upvote 2

My first moment so far led to me actually losing a race, but it was still amazing. After a couple of poor choices I found myself on a raised road that was clearly going to overshoot the finish line. My one hope was that there would be a way to leap off the road I was on, and sure enough there was, and at the very last moment possible. Suddenly I was going to win!

Of course I managed to take yet another wrong turn when I landed which led to me failing completely, but for a moment it was the biggest rush I'd had in a racing game for years.

Slightly random question. When you get a new licence all the completed events reset (the ticks disappear) unless it's a burning route. At any point does the game acknowledge the events that you've previously done? Or if you want to do every event, are you expected to get the highest licence and then start over?