The Playstation 3

Droo

NBA Street Home Court is the first native 1080p game on the 360 followed very closely by Virtua Tennis 3. Plus the scaler in the 360 is very nice and upscales all the 720p stuff to 1080p rather well. 1080p is nice but it's not as big a leap as 720p from 480i.

Blitz The League which is already out is the 1st 1080p game on the 360, not that I have tried it but it says it is on the back on the box.

I am suprised by the total lack of excitment around the pal launch, i was offered a preorder in every store i went in on saturday you couldnt beg steal or borrow a 360/wii preorder for launch this close to the day sign of the price being too much or sign of alot of stock for launch day?????, which ever it is you know sony is going to roll out the most units sold launch ever like all companys do.

Why are you surprised? :)

Are you serious?...shops are actually asking customers to pre-order the PS3? Thats just funny.

Whats going on though?, its just a few days till its out and I've seen no interest in it at all. My original offer still stands however, I'll still eat my cat if they don't instantly sell out.

Performance isn't whats being questioned here, its features and ability, which in comparison to live, its servely lacking.

Uzi-on form. What's so special about the PS3 at the moment that 360/Wii can't do better? Nada.

Set mine up yesterday, nice and easy (although a silly Visa issue signing up for the store), demo downloads quick & impressive, lovely and quiet as a console, tried a little blu-Ray movie watching and got a stall which is a bit scary otherwise happy enough with the purchase (considering it cost about £300).

Are you serious?...shops are actually asking customers to pre-order the PS3? Thats just funny.

Whats going on though?, its just a few days till its out and I've seen no interest in it at all. My original offer still stands however, I'll still eat my cat if they don't instantly sell out.

We were in Milton Keynes and HMV, ePlay, Virgin and Game all had posters up claiming they *guaranteed* day one supply for deposits ranging from £50 to £150.

Performance isn't whats being questioned here, its features and ability, which in comparison to live, its servely lacking.

When you say ability i'm presuming you mean friends list, messaging etc? I think it's still early days for the PS3 in this respect, and we'll know more after the "official" announcement this week :(

In it's favour it is free, and i do think what Resistance offers is impressive. Does Xbox Live handles any such numbers? genuine question.

We were in Milton Keynes and HMV, ePlay, Virgin and Game all had posters up claiming they *guaranteed* day one supply for deposits ranging from £50 to £150.

ah ok, initially you gave me the impression that with every customer buying something they say "Are you interested in our offer of a PS3 pre-order?"...in the same way you have Whsmiths say "Interested in our offer of a half price lucozade?"

It comes down to the games. If last gen is anything to go by, I think I'll be better served by the PS3 than the 360 in the long run.

Assuming it goes as swimmingly well as the last gen. Sonys strength and dominance helped it to encapture such a large number of exclusive games and genres.

I think it will get there eventually, but in more of a slow stroll than the chariot and horse that the PS2 came screaming in on.

ah ok, initially you gave me the impression that with every customer buying something they say "Are you interested in our offer of a PS3 pre-order?"...in the same way you have Whsmiths say "Interested in our offer of a half price lucozade?"

I wasn't the original poster, I was just chipping in.

When you say ability i'm presuming you mean friends list, messaging etc? I think it's still early days for the PS3 in this respect, and we'll know more after the "official" announcement this week :(

In it's favour it is free, and i do think what Resistance offers is impressive. Does Xbox Live handles any such numbers? genuine question.

#I think one xbox game did such numbers, a shooter, I forget which one.

Besides, more players doesnt instantly lead to a more impressive or fun online game.

They can keep adding or making announcement regarding online, but they're somewhat fucked it from the start. Friends lists may come, but the fact is, its not a standardised system. Theres no standard voice chat or one central means which is neat and convinient. I dont think we will see party systems like that in Halo 2 which is years old now where you and a group of friends come move from different game to game matchmaking.

Theres a pretty big difference on my tv, running rr7 in 720p and 1080p shows this. And also considering the ps3 doesnt scale br to 720p you are then relying on you tv to have a good scaler to scale the 1080i output down to 720p. I just watched ant bully on br and if anyone thought 1080p didnt matter than they are wrongs :( .

Think what you like - I have seen the latest blu-ray players output 1080p onto Pioneer and Panasonic screens and I can honestly say I can't see what the fuss is about. It definitely is not the big revolution that the companies promised - as big a difference as swtiching from black and white to colour? Is it balls.

IMHO the only way to see the difference between 625i output from a decent DVD player over component and a 1080p is watching the two side by side.

Despite my advice earlier in this thread not to buy a PS3 unless you are into Sony first party games or Blu-Ray movies

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3674854

I will be getting a PAL PS3 to add to my launch Japanese PS3.

My wife has agreed that a PS3 in the sitting room with a large harddrive can be used for storing all our music and photos and be used as a DVD, CD player and for access to the Internet. No web browser in the Xbox360 is a real mistake in my opinion.

My 5 year old daughter tried out Barbie.com using the PS3 and sixaxis and it worked okay. My only concern is a lot of kid's websites use Flash quite heavily, I hope Sony keep the PS3 browser updated. At least moving her onto the PS3 will free the PC up again.

I will be installing LINUX onto my PAL PS3 hopefully that will yield a few interesing apps. It will certainly be a technical adventure for me, but hopefully no more challenging than tiling a bathroom or putting down a wooden floor. :(

The blu-ray bug has bitten hard, not surprising as movies are my first love. I already have a stack of pre-orders at Amazon.com.

The only functionality of the PS3 that still leaves me a little cold is the remote play wi-fi link to the PSP. I have played about with it a few times, but being able to access the PS3 from the PSP whilst in the same house as the PS3 does seem a little pointless. If Sony get this working over a WAN it might prove useful, but till then, it just seems easier to walk into the room with the PS3. The wi-fi bandwidth also seems a bit constrained.

I still don't notice the lack of rumble, I have gone from Gears of War to Resistance and PGR3 to Gran Turismo in the same play session and not noticed anything missing. But the 360 pad is so much better than the Sixaxis, the R2/L2 triggers are not configured for how my hands work.

What do people think of Flow? It is a good primer for using the motion sensors in the sixaxis. This piece of functionality shows promise. I alsoo like the way the motion sensors is integrated into Blast Factor, that is very intelligent use of the function and adds to the game play putting it above most shooters, it gives the game an extra dimension literally.

Didn't engadget admit at some side by side comparison of dvd and blu-ray , the formter upscaled and both on plasmas that the difference wasnt as good as they expected?

You can barely see the difference between 576p PAL DVD and Blu-Ray on a 42" Plasma.

A lot depends on the transfer and the type of movie.

The big improvement in my mind is not so much extra resolution, which is decreased the further you sit away from the screen, but the encoding. Ditching low bitrate MPEG2 and moving to high bitrate MPEG2 or better still AVC yields a much more pleasing image. Especially colours, and reduction in digital artifacts that is what I notice most.

For most people in the UK neither Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will yield a big enough improvement over PAL DVD to justify the costs.

I think it is different in the US due to more common larger screen sizes and the crappy NTSC format that has very dodgy colour encoding to being with, without adding MPEG2 peculiarities to the situation.

It would not surprise me if film studios started dialing back the MPEG2 encoding quality of DVDs just to make the leap to HD more pronounced.

Didn't engadget admit at some side by side comparison of dvd and blu-ray , the formter upscaled and both on plasmas that the difference wasnt as good as they expected?

Wasn't this a while back when Bluray movies first came out and hadn't been encoded on tot he disk properly (still using MPG2 and not MP4 AVC).

Despite my advice earlier in this thread not to buy a PS3 unless you are into Sony first party games or Blu-Ray movies

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3674854

I will be getting a PAL PS3 to add to my launch Japanese PS3.

My wife has agreed that a PS3 in the sitting room with a large harddrive can be used for storing all our music and photos and be used as a DVD, CD player and for access to the Internet. No web browser in the Xbox360 is a real mistake in my opinion.

My 5 year old daughter tried out Barbie.com using the PS3 and sixaxis and it worked okay. My only concern is a lot of kid's websites use Flash quite heavily, I hope Sony keep the PS3 browser updated. At least moving her onto the PS3 will free the PC up again.

I will be installing LINUX onto my PAL PS3 hopefully that will yield a few interesing apps. It will certainly be a technical adventure for me, but hopefully no more challenging than tiling a bathroom or putting down a wooden floor. :(

The blu-ray bug has bitten hard, not surprising as movies are my first love. I already have a stack of pre-orders at Amazon.com.

The only functionality of the PS3 that still leaves me a little cold is the remote play wi-fi link to the PSP. I have played about with it a few times, but being able to access the PS3 from the PSP whilst in the same house as the PS3 does seem a little pointless. If Sony get this working over a WAN it might prove useful, but till then, it just seems easier to walk into the room with the PS3. The wi-fi bandwidth also seems a bit constrained.

I still don't notice the lack of rumble, I have gone from Gears of War to Resistance and PGR3 to Gran Turismo in the same play session and not noticed anything missing. But the 360 pad is so much better than the Sixaxis, the R2/L2 triggers are not configured for how my hands work.

What do people think of Flow? It is a good primer for using the motion sensors in the sixaxis. This piece of functionality shows promise. I alsoo like the way the motion sensors is integrated into Blast Factor, that is very intelligent use of the function and adds to the game play putting it above most shooters, it gives the game an extra dimension literally.

Agree on the blu ray, I never bought a single HD-DVD but now have Terminator and Prestige, with three more on the way. I'll probably not keep some beyond a single watch mind.

Disagree strongly on the rumble, Gran turismo and Motorstorm have both felt lacking as a result.

#I think one xbox game did such numbers, a shooter, I forget which one.

Besides, more players doesnt instantly lead to a more impressive or fun online game.

Black Hawk Down on the Xbox had support for 50 players so clearly Xbox > PS3 > 360.

I've never understood why people automatically assume more people equals more fun. I usually find the complete opposite.

It comes down to the games. If last gen is anything to go by, I think I'll be better served by the PS3 than the 360 in the long run.

10 million behind from the get go, already selling less in the largest territory despite the new factor and not selling enough in Japan to make up that difference. I don't think the old rules apply any more when it comes to where the third parties will go.

Disagree strongly on the rumble, Gran turismo and Motorstorm have both felt lacking as a result.

We don't agree on this point and I have to say I was very surprised how little impact the lack of rumble had for me.

I even went back and forth a few times between GT4 and GTdemo just to try and highlight the difference.

I expect now that Sony have patched up with Immersion that this will be a moot point in a years time.

Regarding Linux I just did a quick search and Picasa and Google Maps both work with Linux, I wonder if they will work on the PS3?

Once I get my PAL PS3 and start the Linux install, I'll post a thread in Ask the Forum. It could prove a useful resource. Being a complete beginner if I can do it, then anyone can.

Yeah, if they make a new pad that's cool, pisser fro early adopters though. I just don't know how you can dismiss it so easily. I admit I'm not a GT fan but I play a lot of GTR on PC with a rumble enabled pad and part of the joy of that game is taking corners just right so you get that sawtooth vibration feedback, without rumble in a racing game it just takes a whole step backwards.

I just don't know how you can dismiss it so easily.

I'm with you here. It is a real surprise to me too. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to it, or my brain filters out the rumble due to the extreme visual and aural sensory input. Or it could be a bit like how different people suffer from motion sickness with FPSs.

I need to try the GTDemo with the DFP steering wheel, I'm sure the difference will be more pronounced as the force feedback in the DFP is very strong.

Does PES have rumble?

What about Soul Calibur 2?

This is maybe a daft question but with GT HD supporting 1080p does that output mode completely eliminate jaggies? We were comparing the FMV to in game and personally I thought 720p di a better job of providing a smooth picture compared to 1080i which the pS3 decided was the best my setup was capable of.. anyway, in both modes you can still see intelacing happen on say the car windscreen in certain angles, I just wondered if anyone had run it in 1080p and could compare (mind you I am watching it on a 100" projector so may not be like for like comparison).

This is maybe a daft question but with GT HD supporting 1080p does that output mode completely eliminate jaggies? We were comparing the FMV to in game and personally I thought 720p di a better job of providing a smooth picture compared to 1080i which the pS3 decided was the best my setup was capable of.. anyway, in both modes you can still see intelacing happen on say the car windscreen in certain angles, I just wondered if anyone had run it in 1080p and could compare (mind you I am watching it on a 100" projector so may not be like for like comparison).

It still there but it is alot better than running it in either 1080i or 720p.

Or one that you build around yourself and attach the controller on top and you actually lean left and right to control. And you make broom broom sounds to accelerate and eeeee sounds to brake.

Excellent ideas... whoosh-noise activated turbos and "PchOW!! SCHhhhHHHHHOOOM!!!" for the weapons.

In fact, no game needed, just the cardboard ship and a webcam for ultra-realistic graphics.