The Playstation 3

Droo

Could someone tell me how I can purchase stuff from the US store as my credit or debit card is, obviously, not accepted when I use the false US address I gave to register with the PS3 network thing?

You can order from the US Playstation store with Mastercard.

I would recommend Flow, Blast Factor and Tekken 5.

• 2 weeks later...

1.6 firmware details - http://kotaku.com/gaming/firmware/ps3-16-f...rmed-245524.php

Background downloading....meh:

"The PS3 downloading appears to have been, I don't know, half fixed. While you can now queue up to six downloads at at time and you will be able to do so while accessing videos, photos or music from the harddrive or even browsing the web, you won't be able to use the Blu-ray drive to play movies or games as you download."

1.6 firmware details - http://kotaku.com/gaming/firmware/ps3-16-f...rmed-245524.php

Background downloading....meh:

"The PS3 downloading appears to have been, I don't know, half fixed. While you can now queue up to six downloads at at time and you will be able to do so while accessing videos, photos or music from the harddrive or even browsing the web, you won't be able to use the Blu-ray drive to play movies or games as you download."

.::: So much for seven cores I guess... :)

• 6 years later...

Edit: Wasn't sure if this was the main PS3 thread in the day, don't think so but oh well. Doubt they'd be doing too many PS3 reviews at this point.

Tsk for insulting my taste in humor reviews, though I suppose that too does come from the brains.

• 3 years later...

Sony have ceased production of the PS3.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/05/30/playstation-3-has-ceased-production

The support it's had, which seems to be continuing for the time being with PS+ has been brilliant.

I think it's the first time I've never even considered getting rid of a last gen console when the new gen's come along. And unless they sort out cross compatability in the future, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

The support it's had, which seems to be continuing for the time being with PS+ has been brilliant.

I think it's the first time I've never even considered getting rid of a last gen console when the new gen's come along. And unless they sort out cross compatability in the future, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

BC for the PS4 is probably never going to happen, just because of the complex architecture of the PS3, Cell and all that. 

I've gotten a fair bit more into retro-games and archiving older stuff.. and I've been buying up a few of last gen's games on PS3. I don't intend on getting rid of the machine at all and it's nice have a good physical library of games. 

It's between that for me "going forwards" as they say, the PS3 and physical copies and whatever makes it onto the Xbox One's BC program. 

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

but they were only making super slims anyway, right?

might have to pick up a spare, for the slim I don't use at the moment, when the price starts to drop.

(it won't drop will it? price drops come with cheaper manufacturing)

Figured this deserved to be mentioned here.

I love my Playstation 3, and did the majority my gaming there during the 360/PS3 generation. The machine was quiet, reliable, the UI was unobtrusive, and with PS+ and the regular PSN sales I've built up a huge digital library of games for the machine. It's still hooked up to my TV alongside the newer machines as I definitely will finish them all one day.

The machine had a rocky start and was ridiculously expensive on release but went on the host the best games of the generation for me.

Still have mine plumbed in. Had a hiatus for a year or two between gens and still had a ton of PS3 games on the go when I returned. I'd probably retire it if I could move saves from a PS3 release of say UC3 to the PS4 remaster etc. Saying that I still like to fire up the Motorstorms now and again so it's staying put. It's a hacked launch BC JPN machine and it's still flying along.

I've got a Super Slim next to my PS4 Pro.

Went a while without a PS4 when my Fat one broke but picked this one up when TLOU came out. That and PS+ hitting its stride really made it worthwhile.

Great console. Not quite Xbox 360 tier, what with all the shoddy ports for much of the generation, but still great.

6 minutes ago, amc said:

It's a hacked launch BC JPN machine and it's still flying along.

Jealous! I'd love a Hardware based BC machine.. especially if it was region unlocked. I'd play all my Playstation discs there from multiple regions. 

The prior generation was such an odd one. So extended beyond the usual 5 years or so and I'd put that down to the financial crash and the emergence of smart phones and f2p games at the start of this decade... people thought the typical console model might be over.

So yeah, PS3. One of the biggest launch disasters ever. Convoluted hardware that was super expensive, no software and an online service that was miles behind what Microsoft had to offer on the Xbox 360 w/ Gold. Those years from 2006 - 2009 were all about the Xbox 360 for me - the best games were there, usually the 'lead' version and the online just worked - I loved those first few years of the 360, but it all kinda changed rolling into the next decade.

PS3 slim "relaunch" (even the game box layout changed) and the likes of Uncharted 2 saw Sony start to pull a miraculous turn around. Investing in engine and SDK work for the odd-ball machine, getting multi-plats up to parity and investing heavily in first party development saw it become more like a "Playstation", as in a machine with a copious and varied library with lots of original stuff. 

Meanwhile on the other channel over at Xbox, 2010 saw the strange culling of a lot of their first party development (good bye Bungie and Bizarre Creations), a UI overhaul imitating the "Mii" avatar thing and Kinect. MS at E3 featured such highlights as Smartglass, showing their move to a generic living room set top box that did "everything", but nothing well. 

The last few years of the PS3 had a wealth of excellent software and I'm still buying unusual first party games - like The Puppeteer, or Tokyo Jungle - That I never got round too. 

Salut! Playstation 3. I'll be keeping a hold of mine.     

I was pretty pissed when my BC capable PS3 bit the bullet and Sony announced that customers didn't want BC so removed it.  Didn't game on Sony hardware again for a couple of years preferring instead to play on the Xbox 360.  Eventually bought back into the Sony hardware and that one is still going strong.  Never really fell in love with it despite loving the likes of Wipeout on it.  360 was the lead machine for me. PS3 for the quirky stuff and other exclusives. 

36 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I was pretty pissed when my BC capable PS3 bit the bullet and Sony announced that customers didn't want BC so removed it. 

Sony might have stated that customer's "didn't want" BC, but that's not the driving factor behind it. It was a massive cost cutting measure.

The PS3 literally had a "PS2" inside it. The CPU and GPU were on the original PS3 board and the CPU was removed for the PAL version of the PS3 resulting in a crappy PS2 emulator being used instead. Worth noting that the PAL version of the PS2 is actually a bit different! It's got a faster clocked GPU that it's NTSC counterpart (may have been to hit 576i at 60Hz when "PAL60" was selected on certain games) So they ended up just cutting the PS2 Hardware BC feature, then later cutting it completely for all 40 gig versions of the fat PS3 and onwards.   

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Sony might have stated that customer's "didn't want" BC, but that's not the driving factor behind it. It was a massive cost cutting measure.

The PS3 literally had a "PS2" inside it. The CPU and GPU were on the original PS3 board and it was removed for the PAL version of the PS3 resulting in a crappy PS2 emulator being used instead. Worth noting that the PAL version of the PS2 is actually a bit different! It's got a faster clocked GPU that it's NTSC counterpart (may have been to hit 576i at 60Hz when "PAL60" was selected on certain games) So they ended up just cutting the PS2 Hardware BC feature, then later cutting it completely for all 40 gig versions of the fat PS3 and onwards.   

Yeah I know the real reason behind  it.  Still annoyed the living shit out of me though. :)

I didn't really like the original model. It was over-retro in its design and from the day I bought it it seemed like it was on borrowed time.

It eventually developed the fault where it wouldn't turn on (YLOD?) but I was so distraught at the thought of losing my Everybody's Golf, Ridge Racer and Valkyria Chronicles save data I trekked it to South London with it in my backpack, got it repaired for £80 and then immediately shelled out for a Slim to transfer the data to. An expensive weekend, but worth it. :wub:

(The Slim has been going strong ever since, bar an increasingly loud fan.)

On 3/4/2007 at 19:00, angel said:

1080p is nothing, it's only noticable to serious picture buffs and needs to be a 40" tv at a minimum. Also, it's a waste of processing power, the reason most PS3 games don't bother with it.

There's loads of gold in this time-warp of a thread. 10 years ago! 

Loved my full fat launch ps3 which I bought from the Sony building in NYC whilst on holiday I remember. Resistance and Motorstorm with it I think. Got it before my 360 even. Was a bit of a monster but good times were had. Sold on to a good home a few years back.  :)