IGNORED

Lessons For History

Spacehost

How does Saints Row differ from GTA in these areas?

Which game is this?

Ground combat is more responsive and there is less issue with your character turning to face the right direction, it's borrowed a lot from fps and real 3rd person adventures for control. I did prefer the theatrical car handling in GTA however. And when you die, you keep all your guns, just loose some cash, i'm exactly the same as Napole0n in this respect, if i die or get busted in GTA, i'll load.

SWG teaches us, don't ignore your userbase and shoehorn in features which make the delicate and complex game you have crafted into a poor wannabe of the market leader.

Unskippable intro logos too. Very annoying!

I think these are a part of the licence for the software. For example a developer using the Pro Logic II libraries is required to display the Dolby logo on the packaging and for N seconds at the start of the game.

Taking away weapons or other aqcuired items after death isn't a penalty but an instant visit to the 'load game'-screen. So please don't bother with it GTA, look at Saints Row as that does it right.

In GTA:SA, you retain your weapons when you die. I discovered this entirely accidentally once when I decided to mess about before I reloaded my game.

Subtle.

Yeah, let's ban football games while we're at it. Seriously.

Back to the sensible discussion, why do PC games need stuff like pixel shaders, volumetric lighting, and other stuff? I know PC gaming demands ultra-specced machines to display all their awesomeness (otherwise you'd buy the console version amirite?), but given everything's been using fundamentally the same OS for the last 8 years there can't ever have been an excuse for hardware requirements beyond the ability to render polygons and texture them.

Oldblivion took Oblivion, turned off the bollocks, and made it run very well on stuff more than 2 years old. All games are capable of being run without motion blur, HDR, reflective surfaces, water effects, all that guff, yet they aren't allowed to do so by dunce developers who prefer to draw a line saying 'you must be this tall to ride'. Not all games are sponsored by Nvidia, after all.

I remember Edge once proposing the perfect solution: one press of the button pauses the cutscene and brings up a menu asking whether you want to continue or skip the scene. Maybe in the past there could have been problems overlaying such a menu on top of FMV (I don't know, just speculating), but most cutscenes take place in-engine anyway, so if the normal gameplay can be paused to display a menu, why can't the same happen in cutscenes? I suppose things like that just aren't considered priorities, even though they can make the difference between a player seeing a game through to its conclusion, or abandoning it through frustration.

Square did this with the cutscenes (that may include fmv, im not sure) way back in 2002 with FFX-2. If they could do it, why hasn't everyone else?

On the subject of pausable cut-scenes: this is an unexpected benefit of the "Home" button on the Wii remote. I just paused a cut-scene to answer my phone.

This doesn't always work. I tried it in Call of Duty 3 and a small icon appeared at the top left of the screen telling you that it couldn't allow it.

I actually like boss rushes....

In games with good bosses, but yeah, maybe a boss rush mode is preferrable to forcing everyone to play through them in the final level.

So, my vote goes to unskippable credits when loading up a game.

Shite quality video cables shipped with consoles, so you are forced into buying them separately.

I'm looking at you Nintendo.

Everyone except Microsoft in their premium packs, surely? And even then it was a choice for me between buying a new TV or picking up an RGB scart lead. Oh, so many unusued bundled console leads, I should tie them all together and use them to escape out of the window. But I suppose that's the price we pay for consoles that are generally accessible - composite with scart adapter does seem like the most sensible option. Or are Nintendo's bundled leads notoriously worse than everyone else's? I wouldn't know, to be honest.

One thing I do like about gaming now -and I don't know if it's me or gaming which has changed- is that it seems OK to just play a game, get some fun out of it but not finish it or get all the secrets. It seems like, in general, the developers are more aware that people either want a game to be a SENSIBLE length (Sands of Time, Fable, Shadow of the Colossus) or to be designed so they can still have fun, feel they've got their money's worth and not actually see it through to the bitter end - be that simply finishing the final level or finishing the game on ULTRA HARD mode or whatever.