IGNORED

Wii sold 3 million already?

dojo99

It seems that the Wii has already sold 3 million worldwide, according to VG Charts. Its an unofficial site (so, in all honesty, you might as well stop reading now :ph34r: ), but if it is true, Nintendo has done semi-well on its promise of selling 4 million before the end of the year.

It seems that the Wii has already sold 3 million worldwide, according to VG Charts. Its an unofficial site (so, in all honesty, you might as well stop reading now :ph34r: ), but if it is true, Nintendo has done semi-well on its promise of selling 4 million before the end of the year.

They never said they'd sell 4 million. They said they'd ship 4 million.

Whatever site you check there are diffrent numbers reported for each platform. nexgenwars.com say 9.2 mill for x360 and 2.0 mill for Wii.

Yeah, but at least with VGCharts, they use released sales data and increase the American numbers ever so slightly to make up for Canada who don't release numbers.

NexGenWars numbers are COMPLETELY MADE UP and have absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever.

VG Charts' unique approach to statistics is to guess, basically. The only time they're ever accurate is immediately after an official press release, after which they start drifting off again by applying their own "estimates" for sales week-on-week.

VG Charts' unique approach to statistics is to guess, basically. The only time they're ever accurate is immediately after an official press release, after which they start drifting off again by applying their own "estimates" for sales week-on-week.

Thats not true - what you describe is nexgenwar's approach.

VGCharts numbers are based on slightly changing numbers released by sales tracking companies (to try to estimate the missed regions etc.).

VGCharts are quite a lot more reliable but sometimes prone to over estimation. It is a fantastic resource though.

Let's get some sales figures in here! Found these from Japan this week (sales for week before xmas):

NDS - 500k

---------

Pokemon Pearl/Diamond - 400k (LTD over 4m)

New Super Mario Bro. , Kirby,, Jump Ultimate Stars, Animal Crossing - 150 - 200k each

Love and Berry DS, General Knowledge DS, Rockman - 100k each

Tertis DS LTD over 1m

Wii - 300k

----------

Wii Sports, Wii Play - 150k each

Pokemon, Zelda, Wario - 50k each

So that's 300,000 Wii in a week and half a million DS'! Not bad considering they dont really do xmas there.

This weeks sales should be about the same I reckon and then get even higher the following week after new years which is the typical present/money giving time over there.

Any US figures about?

EDIT: Software sales chart without figures (cant believe AC and Mario are still in the top 10!)

Famitsu top ten (12/18-12/24):

1 NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Nintendo)

2 NDS New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)

3 PS2 Seiken Densetsu 4 (Square Enix)

4 NDS Kirby Squeak Squad (Nintendo)

5 NDS Jump Ulitmate Stars (Nintendo)

6 Wii Wii Sports (Nintendo)

7 PSP Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Konami)

8 NDS Animal Crossing (Nintendo)

9 Wii Wii Play (Nintendo)

10 NDS Love & Berry (Sega)

Huh? I thought Xmas was huge in Japan.

Not really, you see the odd decorations here and there but there is nothing really special. Not like the US and here where people go absolutely crazy with their spending and wind up in huge amount of debt and then take the rest of the year to pay it off.

Also people dont give cards or presents at christmas either, I dont remember seein xmas cards in the shops and nobody at my place of work gave out/recieved anything. New Years eve night though, now thats a different story <_<

Not really, you see the odd decorations here and there but there is nothing really special. Not like the US and here where people go absolutely crazy with their spending and wind up in huge amount of debt and then take the rest of the year to pay it off.

Fair enough. I guess my impression is more based off stuff like Christmas Nights and the Xmas themed Locoroco demo that Sony have, which give the impression that Japan is big into the whole Santa/Reindeer part of Xmas at least.

Fair enough. I guess my impression is more based off stuff like Christmas Nights and the Xmas themed Locoroco demo that Sony have, which give the impression that Japan is big into the whole Santa/Reindeer part of Xmas at least.

Well its difficult to say, they do like that sort of thing (I had to dress up in a fucking santa outfit when I was working xmas eve night at my old nightclub :( ) but in terms of buying gifts and cards then no, they dont. And I would imagine that most japanese people dont even know the real reason for celebrating xmas anyway (like most of the kids over here then :o )