Sign in to follow this  
Weinberg

'Scary' Films....

I enjoy watching horror films, however I'm absolutely sick of them trying to give cheap scares-for example, 95% of horror flicks simply use a sudden stab of music, a loud noise or a sudden flash of an image to scare you which is just shit. I think that's absolutely crap, and anyone can be scared by a loud noise.

What I find far more clever, is when a film manages to scare you just through the visuals. An example is from something I watched yesterday, 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' which is far from the best horror film in the world as it's not. However I was genuinely very disturbed, though I'm not sure about 'scared' by some of the things which were shown-Emily lying on the floor in a twisted/contorted state for example with a horrific expression on her face. No sound effects were needed to add to that.

I was wondering if there are any more films out there you can recommend which don't try to scare you with such cheap methods. It actually really annoys me, thinking about it, that most "horror" films are just a series of slow build ups to scenes which climax with a loud noise to try and scare you. It's pathetic.

People say its shit but I always found the very end of Blair Witch pretty scary. Not jump out scary mind more heavily spooked/freaked out. Left me sat there thinking what the hell happened.

An example is from something I watched yesterday, 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' which is far from the best horror film in the world as it's not. However I was genuinely very disturbed, though I'm not sure about 'scared' by some of the things which were shown-Emily lying on the floor in a twisted/contorted state for example with a horrific expression on her face.

That bit where she broke the bonds and jumped out of the window during the exorcism was fucking hilarious.

The first time I saw The Ring(Japanese) I found it pretty scary. Try to watch it at home alone at night and I think it would still be quite unsettling.

I like the Korean movie "A Tale of Two Sisters". Not sure if I'd call it scary, it is unsettling though.

Apart from that, horror movies are pretty rubbish.

Audition is by far the most disturbing film I've ever seen. Its effect is lost once you know what to expect, though, and I was fortunate enough to see it first with no knowledge of what it was.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a bizarre, horrifying experience, too. I rate it as probably the best the genre has to offer.

The Exorcist is a great film, but not scary in the least. Don't Look Now can be, if you have the patience for it.

Avoid anything from John Carpenter or Wes Craven, as while they're a lot of fun, neither of them has ever made a genuinely frightening movie.

People say its shit but I always found the very end of Blair Witch pretty scary. Not jump out scary mind more heavily spooked/freaked out. Left me sat there thinking what the hell happened.

The image of the guy stood against the wall didn't leave me for a few nights after that, I can tell you. Same went for The Ring too, I think it might be the fingernails that do it.

The Ring is pretty scary. The Jap version, not the remake. Although that's not too shabby, the ending isn't as good.

Another vote for this.

I watched it alone in a darkened room and it started thundering mid-way through.

Terrifying.

Ring's definitely my fave horror movie, it's just so patient, gets better with every viewing too. but Threads is the only movie I've been glad to switch off because it was affecting me so badly.

The image of the guy stood against the wall didn't leave me for a few nights after that, I can tell you.

I thought he was pissing in the corner when I saw that.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a bizarre, horrifying experience, too. I rate it as probably the best the genre has to offer.

I actually found this to be a very, very funny movie after I saw some of the early, admittedly cold-blooded bits.

For all your horror needs please direct your attention to The Descent, which is on Sky Movies tonight.

I actually found this to be a very, very funny movie after I saw some of the early, admittedly cold-blooded bits.

For all your horror needs please direct your attention to The Descent, which is on Sky Movies tonight.

The dinner scene? I guess it depends how you watch it. There's a fine line between disturbing and ridiculous, but I've always found Texas Chainsaw Massacre unrelentingly bleak and horrific.

The Descent is brilliant, definitely. I saw it again on its theatre release in the USA, and they changed the ending to be more optimistic, which I complained about for days.

The Descent totally failed for me, to be honest. You need to have some sort of sympathy for the victims for horror films to be effective, the women in that were all so annoying I was cheering for the gargoyles.

Avoid anything from John Carpenter or Wes Craven, as while they're a lot of fun, neither of them has ever made a genuinely frightening movie.

?

Commander Jameson beat me to the punch, but, come on maaan, Halloween is a "genuinely frightening" film.

The Descent is brilliant, definitely. I saw it again on its theatre release in the USA, and they changed the ending to be more optimistic, which I complained about for days.

What did they change for the ending? I loved the darkness of the UK release ending; something quite unexpected.

I'm not a big fan of horror, simply because 99.99% of it is rubbish. However, I did enjoy The Descent and found it a pretty decent scare.

The only film I'd rather not watch agin because it freaked me out though is Jacobs Ladder - horrible little film.

The Descent is the only film that has really scared me. As in, I really couldn't watch and I was terrified as to what would happen. Not just at the monsters jumping out on the screen, but the thought of how the film would end too.

The Sixth Sense. It's not exactly a gorefest, but the idea that any of the apparently normal-looking people around me could spin around and turn out to have half their head missing or something terrified me for several days.

What did they change for the ending? I loved the darkness of the UK release ending; something quite unexpected.

It ends with the last shot of Juno, instead of Sarah waking up.

The Thing is the only film that continues to creep me the hell out. Definetely the most paranoid film I've ever seen.

The bit in Aliens when they enter the outskirts of the nest for the first time is another one.

Slasher films and loud sound films do nothing for me :huh: