IGNORED

PSP firmware 3.02 hacked?

Broker

I've not heard many, actually ANY horror stories from users of 'fake' memory cards. I myself got a 'fake' 4 gig card off of an ebay memory card seller and have had no problems at all with it, beyond the fact it is slower to write to. I'd say personally that it is worth the risk.

A fair few aren't anywhere near the right size, and the occasional one is unusable. I've bought 4 fake cards in the last 2 months, 3 of them are perfect but one of them is completely useless.

.::: No it means, they can emulate the 3.02 firmware functionality so a PSP can play your old PS1 games. Basically like loading SNES roms on an SD card and being able to play them on the Wii's Virtual Console.

Corrected.

It really fucks me off when media companies play the format switch to sell you the same bloody game again.

Well, my memory card came and whether its fake or not I have to say fair play to them for getting it to me in under a day!

Gonna give it a go tonight, do I have to worry about formatting it in FAT32/16 then or not?

When I first got my 4GB, games like GTA were unplayable off it - check your one first, it might be fine.

I copied everything off to a folder on my desktop and then formatted it with a PC:

To format your 4GB to FAT16...

1. Go to Start Menu->Run...

2. Type 'Format X: /FS:FAT' (without quotes)

Then, and this is important - DON'T format it again with the PSP - you'll revert the card back to FAT32. Just copy the folder from your desktop with the all the correct folders etc back on to the card.

www.noobz.eu is a great place to start. You'll most likely need a first-pressing of Liberty City Stories (unpatched).

Eh, I just had a look at that site and I think I'm even more confused than before.

Basically, is there any particular firmware version I want to avoid? If I buy a brand new retail one, will I be able to do everything I want?

And what type of memory sticks does it take?

Is there/is there any chance of an N64 emulator for the psp? I saw something about it on one of the messageboards but surely it won't work?

There's one out already called Daedelus or something. It runs some games at around 20-30fps with no sound but the guy who is working on it suddenly reappeared after a long absence and is claiming that he'll have it running much better within the next few weeks. He's also promised some 'major update' this weekend.

Really? That's fantastic, if that got up and running the PSP would probably become my favourite console of all time.

You're not wrong and judging by this guys comments he really does believe that it's only a matter of time before he's got it running brilliantly.

Try going to psp-news.dcemu.co.uk and check out some of the news on it there.

I've run SM64 on my psp a few weeks back and while it had no sound and the framerate was around 10-15 everything else was just about spot on and you could really see the potential in this emulator.

What with all the emulators, homebrew and piracy (yes, I am naughty every now and again) the psp is already one of my all time favourite machines but an N64 emulator would seal it for sure.

Outa-Space homebrew lets you remove PSP functionality

Do you feel like your PSP does too much? Maybe you want to remove some of it's functionality, so it can be more of an antiquated machine. You can remove these features from your PSP flash memory:

Un-needed fonts

Camera / GPS functionality

Network Update

Certificate Utility

The photo menu

The music menu

The video menu

The XMB's web browser

RSS functionality.

And why would you want to get rid of any of these? Well, the PSP's internal memory is only so large, and some homebrew users might be interested in making incredibly large gameboots. Certainly, this is an interesting concept: a homebrew program that removes functionality, instead of adding it.

See also:

Would Sony eliminate PSP features?

Has anyone tried this? I was just wondering if you could choose which items it removes or if the app just ripped them all out?

When I first got my 4GB, games like GTA were unplayable off it - check your one first, it might be fine.

I copied everything off to a folder on my desktop and then formatted it with a PC:

Then, and this is important - DON'T format it again with the PSP - you'll revert the card back to FAT32. Just copy the folder from your desktop with the all the correct folders etc back on to the card.

I'll give that a go mate if needed. I've just got home, checked my memory stick and it ways in at 3.8GB. Currently copying everything from my 1GB stick over. Already noticed the difference in speed but its no big problem. :)

Ocarina of Time on the move! :D

By the way, whats the snes, mega drive, amiga emu's like these days? I haven't bothered to try them since downgrading/upgrading again but I used to enjoy them even though they weren't the best. F-Zero was bad though! :)

I've been using the latest snes and MD emulators and they seem to run perfectly except for the super fx stuff. Then again, I'm not as 'fussy' as some people and don't need 100% super perfect emulation to enjoy them so I'm sure someone will point out the faults that I can't spot.

I'm too busy playing around with the PS1 emulator these days to bother with the older stuff though. The torrent site I use has been bombarded with old Playstation games and I just the other day learnt how to rip my own PS1 discs and use them too. Easier than I thought to do that. Just wish I could find a copy of the original Need for Speed somewhere as I'd love to give that a go again.

I don't know how popular all this PSP stuff is on this site but I check those homebrew sites several times a day so the minute I hear some news on this N64 emulator I'll post it up.

I've been using the latest snes and MD emulators and they seem to run perfectly except for the super fx stuff. Then again, I'm not as 'fussy' as some people and don't need 100% super perfect emulation to enjoy them so I'm sure someone will point out the faults that I can't spot.

What emulators are you using? Super Mario Kart is unplayable on the emulator I'm using and it doesn't use Super FX as far as I know.

snes9xTYL is my snes emulator of choice. MarioKart seems to work fine for me and I haven't tried using frameskip with it yet which is something I always had to do a year or so ago.

Remember though that I'm not one of these people who fuss over framerates or other such stuff so you might think it's not acceptable enough yet but it's far from unplayable. I finished the entire game a few weeks ago on my psp and it seemed just like it did back in the day.

I'm too busy playing around with the PS1 emulator these days to bother with the older stuff though. The torrent site I use has been bombarded with old Playstation games and I just the other day learnt how to rip my own PS1 discs and use them too. Easier than I thought to do that. Just wish I could find a copy of the original Need for Speed somewhere as I'd love to give that a go again.

I don't know how popular all this PSP stuff is on this site but I check those homebrew sites several times a day so the minute I hear some news on this N64 emulator I'll post it up.

Kepping track of that 64 emu and sticking it in here would be much appreciated mate, would you mind PMing me with which torrent site you're using?

snes9xTYL is my snes emulator of choice. MarioKart seems to work fine for me and I haven't tried using frameskip with it yet which is something I always had to do a year or so ago.

Remember though that I'm not one of these people who fuss over framerates or other such stuff so you might think it's not acceptable enough yet but it's far from unplayable. I finished the entire game a few weeks ago on my psp and it seemed just like it did back in the day.

That's the emulator I'm using. It seemed like the game was running at half the speed. I'll give it another bash and muck about with some of the options.

That's the emulator I'm using. It seemed like the game was running at half the speed. I'll give it another bash and muck about with some of the options.

I'm running the latest Dark Alex firmware and I've got the processor speed set at 333 if that would make any difference. Sorry I can't be any more help but I'm not really that technical minded and I just follow whatever faqs I can find.

Hi there,

I was having the same problem with my 4GB card when trying to play TDU and ProEvo6 from it.

I ended up getting a 2GB high speed Sony card and all was well.

Then I tried formatting the 4GB card like you said to FAT16, and well I never it all works now. Cheers.

Now it seems I have a spare 2GB card................. £12 anyone????

That N64 emulator I mentioned that was being worked on has been released today.

From DCEmu:

Heres what StrmnNrmn had to say-

I've been working hard making the last few changes for Daedalus R9, and I'm pleased to say that it's now ready for download

I've talked a bit about what's in this release, so I'll not repeat everything here. Here's a summary though:

* Faster

* New UI

* Audio

* Various graphical fixes

Please note - as audio support is very much 'beta' at the moment, it's disabled by default. You can enable the setting either in the front-end, or from the pause menu.

Please also note: To keep the distribution size down, I've not included any 'preview' pictures for the rom selector alongside the emulator. You can download and extract the 'Extras' file above for a few sample previews. It should be easy enough for people to create their own preview pictures - see the readme.txt for more details.

It's still an early version and many games don't work apparently but SM64 is supposed to be pretty good as are some others especially with the sound disabled. I haven't had a cance to try it myself yet but I'll have a go later this afternoon and let you know what results I got.

StrmnNrmn (what sort of name is that?!) has promised that R10 isn't too far away.

The files are available from DCemu and all the other psp sites. Sorry I couldn't provide a link but I haven't been able to get any links working since yesterday for some reason.

I've never seen a halfway decent N64 emulator in all the years I've been emulator-ing; I don't have high hopes for this. I'd love to be proved wrong mind.

I deleted it a while back and can't remember the name but the N64 emulator I used to use on my pc pissed all over the actual machine itself. I could ramp up all the graphical options and it ran smooth as silk.

Edit: Anyway, I had a spare few minutes so I gave this thing a go with SM64. With sound disabled it runs at around 25 fps (according to the frame counter that's built in) and is actually very playable indeed. It won't be good enough for the fanatics but it would be good enough for me to try and grab 120 stars again. With sound turned on the framerate takes a hit and goes down to around 10-15 and the sound is very choppy indeed.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother grabbing this just yet if you actually want to play the games but I would highly recommend it if you want to see just how close it's getting. This thing has potential for sure.