50/60Hz discussion

Massive Invisible Dog

BTW, whoever said "offer the US version of the games" was wrong. The US and PAL versions of Mega Drive games are the same, it's all down to switches in the emulator.

Out of interest, does anyone know which version of Sonic it is (the improved Japanese version with the moving clouds or the US/Euro ver)?

BTW, whoever said "offer the US version of the games" was wrong. The US and PAL versions of Mega Drive games are the same, it's all down to switches in the emulator.

Not always. Quite a few Mega Drive games were optimised for PAL, and as such the code is different.

That's what I thought but I don't think it does. It's still out but not by much, especially towards the end of the level. Folks used to say the same in F-Zero X but the timer wasn't slower, just the game by about 3 seconds. Something like Sega Rally runs the same in 50/60hz too although that's clearly not the same thing 'ere. Bonus in PAL land when running Mazza Kart in 60hz had faster times than NTSC :)

It's miles out. If you use 30 seconds of the YouTube timer from when it first fades into the start of Level1, then it's what I said above. Huge difference.

Hmm, Quite possibly. I'm not really aware of the timer speed on FFVII. I'm sure I heard somewhere that it was 'unoptimised". At the same time I heard later games didn't suffer from this, but I've not tested those either - I just use the NTSC versions due to pal borders :)

edit: I can always get a stopwatch out I suppose. I'll forgo video evidence

As a Jap Megadrive owner I never knew there such a big difference, until completely by chance I fired up Sonic Mega Collection (PAL) on the ol' XBox about 2 days ago, and couldn't believe how slow it was...

Makes me wonder how well optimised modern games are? I never used to worry about it, but this thread has got me thinking.

As a Jap Megadrive owner I never knew there such a big difference, until completely by chance I fired up Sonic Mega Collection (PAL) on the ol' XBox about 2 days ago, and couldn't believe how slow it was...

Makes me wonder how well optimised modern games are? I never used to worry about it, but this thread has got me thinking.

There seems to be a lot of effort in optimising 50hz stuff these days. Hell, even Squaresoft are beginning to change their attitude.

Still, there's *always* a difference.

I quite happily played PAL Ikaruga and didn't notice any dropped frames. I'm also looking out for a copy to re-buy for my PAL Wii.

Having said that, I've never seen the NTSC version so I've got nothing to compare it to. Ignorance is bliss, or something.

Has anyone had any problems getting the virtual console games to run in 576i on a HD TV?

Both Ristar and Gunstar Heroes were running in 576i without any issues up until today, when I downloaded Super Castlevania IV, now they all flicker and are out of sync when they go from the default 480p that the system is set to by default to 576i.

I've tried deleting all 3, and re-downloading them individually, but they still flicker.

Mario 64 runs in 576i without any issues, so, it can't be the TV (I don't think).

Anyone got any idea what has caused this and how I can fix it?

Has anyone had any problems getting the virtual console games to run in 576i on a HD TV?

Both Ristar and Gunstar Heroes were running in 576i without any issues up until today, when I downloaded Super Castlevania IV, now they all flicker and are out of sync when they go from the default 480p that the system is set to by default to 576i.

I've tried deleting all 3, and re-downloading them individually, but they still flicker.

Mario 64 runs in 576i without any issues, so, it can't be the TV (I don't think).

Anyone got any idea what has caused this and how I can fix it?

I've got a HD DLP and when my mate brought his Wii around the VC games were running really jerkily. Once he got a component cable though the games were fine. There are far too many people having success with VC games via component to suggest it's to do with the console.

I'm sorry to say it, but I reckon it's a problem with your tv :)

I know how you feel, I have pretty much every saturn shooter and I can't play them on my 50 inch tv because it can't upscale the resolution :D

I've got a HD DLP and when my mate brought his Wii around the VC games were running really jerkily. Once he got a component cable though the games were fine. There are far too many people having success with VC games via component to suggest it's to do with the console.

I'm sorry to say it, but I reckon it's a problem with your tv :D

I know how you feel, I have pretty much every saturn shooter and I can't play them on my 50 inch tv because it can't upscale the resolution :)

I've got a component cable - couldn't get the official cable, so bought a gameware component cable from game.

Strangely, this problem only started today, after I downloaded Castlevania from the VC. Before that, the VC games worked fine

with the component cable.

However, I have found a workaround of sorts, if you delete the savestates from the memory, and restart the game, it works without any problems, however, as soon as you hit the home button to go back to the Wii menu, it creates a savestate, and next time you try to load the game you get the same issue of flickering/out of sync.

Only way of going back to the menu is powering off the system.

This solution doesn't seem to work for castlevania though....

Strangley, the issue doesn't appear to effect Mario 64 or R-Type....

There is a new and very interesting Datel Product... the SD Media Launcher. It allows to run homebrew software on GC&Wii.

Have you tried the emulator for the gamecube, are they any good??? I haven't got that moded xbox you mention in this forum so often, is this a good option?

I think i am not getting the NTSC Wii after all. :)

It's a repack of their Max Drive Pro package. The GC version had a usb mem card, but this has changed it to a sd card and empty casing. Will only work in GC mode by the looks of it, so it's not really anything new. As long as the Pal wii reads the disc (i.e. if they've actually recoded it rather then just put a new label on) then you should be able to boot GC backups with the right file

The first game i downloaded for the virtual console was Wario's Woods. It is a decent game but i noticed it was a bit too easy.The blocks fell too slow...

Last night i downloaded an emulator and a tried a 60hz version of the game. Needless to say what the problem was... The game running in 60hz is challenging and has a balanced dificulty.

BTW i did't expect the games to look so nice on my iMac.

Nintendo: Last christmas i gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away

This year to save me from tears i will give it to someone special :lol: