IGNORED

The Snowboarding/Skiing Thread

Fusty Gusset

Thinking of going snowboarding for the first time as all ways wanted to try it. thinking of going in april as got the first four weeks of april off uni for easter. so any forum members that go snowboarding know any good places for beignners at that time of year.

plus is it worth getting some lessons at a dry ski slope before hand

plus is it worth getting some lessons at a dry ski slope before hand

dry slopes aren't that good, but it's always good excercise to learn how to stop, and slow down, and the quicker you can do that, and pull off the "falling leaf" manoevure , the quicker you'll be on the green runs..

you can also get lessons on the real slopes... it's pretty easy to stand near a beginners group and eavesdrop for free as well!

dry slopes aren't that good, but it's always good excercise to learn how to stop, and slow down, and the quicker you can do that, and pull off the "falling leaf" manoevure , the quicker you'll be on the green runs..

you can also get lessons on the real slopes... it's pretty easy to stand near a beginners group and eavesdrop for free as well!

well im going with him, and we dont want to like, get there, and then get on a slope, then suddenly have a

"HOLY CRAP WHAT NOW"

moment, dry slopes are a bit on the dodgy side then?

well im going with him, and we dont want to like, get there, and then get on a slope, then suddenly have a

"HOLY CRAP WHAT NOW"

moment, dry slopes are a bit on the dodgy side then?

they're not dodgy, just not much like real snow... BUT are good enough to learn rudimentary stopping / turning

every resort will have somewhere to offer lessons.

Having lessons is definitely worth it... stupid not too.

it will cost more but you may be able to get a package of lessons and hire possibly with a pass that won't be that much.

and it won't be that much as a proportion of the total holiday cost and you will have a much better time.

I take slight offence to the dismissal of dry slopes, seeing as I teach boarding and skiing on one... They're awesome fun, get to do it all year round, and although nowhere near snow, they're still worth using.

Andorra (the entire Grandvalira area) was appalling, never seen snow cover like it, and all of the parks were closed too. Well gutted and am gonna try and sort something with the travel company...

I take slight offence to the dismissal of dry slopes, seeing as I teach boarding and skiing on one... They're awesome fun, get to do it all year round, and although nowhere near snow, they're still worth using.

Andorra (the entire Grandvalira area) was appalling, never seen snow cover like it, and all of the parks were closed too. Well gutted and am gonna try and sort something with the travel company...

Andorra = benidorm on ice.

can you guys recommend a resort then?

anywhere, to be honest, although dukenukem2uk over there is a bit of a fairy and wont go too far out yet :)

pretty much anywhere in europe is game, i would like to try usa, canada, and even japan, at a later stage once i get better and find out if i even like it or not

so basically, can any of you recommend somewhere in europe, not too pricey, ideal for beginners, that will have snow, for some time during april? during easter hols?

cheers

At that time of year, you wanna go pretty high up. I went in April 2005 to Tignes and had insane snowfall (8 metres inside of a week), and Val Thorens gets awesome snow until late May most years... Both awesome resorts as well

Yeah, been to both. Really awkward to choose between the two, although I'd say Tignes slightly wins out. Both in France, and I love both completely. If your mates are better boarders, get them to Laax in Switzerland, best kept secret ever, literally the world's best resort (short of Whistler perhaps...).

No idea for links, just Google.

I shall have to suggest those for next year. Thanks, Calum :(

I'm off to La Thuile on Sunday. There's snow there currently but it doesn't sound like masses. I don't think there are masses in many places for that matter.

If it's slushy then that's fine for me, sucky for the skiers I'm going with :)

I was lusting after a Burton / R.E.D. "Hi-Fi" helmet in Two Seasons in town yesterday. Has built in earphones with a mute button on the side. £90. So tempted to get that and board with the GH2 soundtrack looping over the entire week :(

They're pretty sweet helmets. The Burton Ronin jacket this season is even more immense, stupidly-OTT though...

Gotta love trade discount and friends owning board shops :P

pretty much all burton gear is guaranteed for life too, including their analog stuff..

I can snap a binding strap or lose a screw on my bindings, walk into any burton stockist and they'll hook me up with replacements for free, worked in canada at least.

Tignes is great! Not soo sure about the night life, but I was with my aunt so I didn't venture too far anyways.. Val d'Sere is pretty close too! You can feel as tho you're taking your life in your hands by skiing in between the villages but it's all good fun and safe!

In Feb, I'm going up to Hokkaido for a long weekend in Niseko, near Sapporo. I've never done snowboarding (or even skiing) before, so I'm pretty excited, just to see what all the fuss is about. I have no idea what to do though, so will probably just stand still in the snow paralysed with fear.

In Feb, I'm going up to Hokkaido for a long weekend in Niseko, near Sapporo. I've never done snowboarding (or even skiing) before, so I'm pretty excited, just to see what all the fuss is about. I have no idea what to do though, so will probably just stand still in the snow paralysed with fear.

going alone or with any experienced riders/skiiers?..

don't just get on a board and try and take a slope, you can hurt yourself and others.....

if you have noone to practice with, see if there's any instructional videos/youtube/divx available online so you can at least go sideways, frontside and backside, and practice falling leaves..

My little brother's saving up to do a snowboard-instructor's course in Whistler early next year. He's been working his ass off for what seems like forever, & still has the best part of a year's graft to accrue the necessary funds.

I wish him every success with it though, not least because it could mean free snowboarding holidays for me in the future! :P

This is why snowboarders should BY LAW be forced to spend at least 6 and possibly 7 MONTHS on green slopes only!

so basically, dont go without lessons and dive headfirst into a black run?

gotcha.

what companys have you guys used, and what do you think of them?