IGNORED

The Snowboarding/Skiing Thread

Fusty Gusset

Courtesy of a mate who's managing a Villa in Canzei resort I'm off there over new year. Apart from having a board that's fucked, no ZeldaTP, a wife in-tow who's never been on a board before (nursery slopes ahoy) and a problematic back from last year I'm excited...

Give me this over a sandy beach in a tropical destination anyday:

village.jpg

seg2_inizio_sdn_01_25.JPG

Anybody heading off?...if so where?

I'm off somewhere in Italy at the end of January. It's going to near-bankrupt me but if I can't bankrupt myself snowboarding, what's the point in having money, quite frankly.

I have a pretty cheap board and it's in need of a wax, grind and edge. Options:

1. Pay someone here to do it

2. Pay someone out there to do it

3. Buy bits now, do it myself.

What do you reckon?

Italy's brilliant fun. The thing to watch is a lot of the slopes are south facing, and you are a long way south. If it gets warm during the day later on you can end up on slush/ice, so you'll have the most fun early out in the morning.

That said coming down through the Italian alps at sunset with a few pints in the belly rates as one of the best experiences of my life.

I'm off somewhere in Italy at the end of January. It's going to near-bankrupt me but if I can't bankrupt myself snowboarding, what's the point in having money, quite frankly.

I have a pretty cheap board and it's in need of a wax, grind and edge. Options:

1. Pay someone here to do it

2. Pay someone out there to do it

3. Buy bits now, do it myself.

What do you reckon?

Just get it done over there. If you are going with a package company, chances are they will offer a cheap service. Think I paid £20 over here for a wax, grind and edge on my board, but in France one of the chalet guys did my skis for about 5 euros.

Whistler for me in March. I can't wait.

Going to Les Gets at the end of March, it'll be my first time and I cannot wait. Bought most of my stuff in the sales over the summer, and was very meh! that I had to wait about 8 months to get to use it. Just need some bindings and then I'm all set. I really hope I'll enjoy it, I've wanted to go snowboarding for years. And if I do like it, I want to go to Whistler next season and maybe do a whole season someonewhere in a few years.

I didn't go this year due to money issues, so I need to try and get out there this season - despite... money issues :(

Ah well, Andorra's cheap and I've got all my own kit now.

Ah well, Andorra's cheap and I've got all my own kit now.

It's worth spending the extra bit and doing the alps instead of the pyrenees in my opinion. The nightlife in andorra is bollocks (as is the food), and whilst the infrastructure is alright the actual slopes are quite dull or downright lethal, with not much in between.

It is a damn surreal place though. Snowboarding across a bridge, into a shopping centre, around it, and into the cablecar. You don't do that everyday.

Anyone starting is best off in France in my view. Fantastic place for it. The great thing they had there I've not seen anywhere else is a free bus service connecting the bottom of all the runs, so if you end up two valleys over at 5.30pm you're not looking at a taxi - makes life a lot more relaxing.

It is a damn surreal place though. Snowboarding across a bridge, into a shopping centre, around it, and into the cablecar. You don't do that everyday.

Just like SSX!

I'm not that bothered about nightlife, to be honest. I go away to snowboard - they have pubs in the UK now ;)

But that said I do prefer the Alps - I guess if I wait for a last minute deal I can get something cheap in France anyway.

Italy's brilliant fun. The thing to watch is a lot of the slopes are south facing, and you are a long way south. If it gets warm during the day later on you can end up on slush/ice, so you'll have the most fun early out in the morning.

That said coming down through the Italian alps at sunset with a few pints in the belly rates as one of the best experiences of my life.

Cheers, I'm being told this alot recently. Early starts are no problem, but I love some afternoon action.

Id love to go abroad to snowboard, Ive done it on and off since about 1998, most recently a lot since I've finished university. The closest I've got to "snow"boarding though is the toxic-fumes of the snowdome, if anyone goes let me know :) Forum meet to see goatkeeper on a toboggan methinks... :lol:

Was in Val last week, snow was, well, poor. But given that they were bussing people in from loads of other resorts with nothing you couldn't really complain.

However, that's the last time I'm going to France again, they seem to be quite happy now living off their reputation. Val was a stinking hole after only 1 week of the season, dirty and full (as usual) of dogs wandering around crapping and pissing everywhere. Lovely when you put your board down at the bottom of the slope to adjust the bindings to find you've almost dropped it onto dog shit. All the Cable cars and funiculars stank of piss as well.

On the plus side the new pass readers are great. Just leave the lift pass in your pocket and it will read it when you pass through the gate. Just a shame that as usual they don't actually bother trying to manage the queues so you have HUGE queues and 1 or 2 people on 6 man chairs going up.

Still, at least I can get rid of the smell of france in Breckenridge at the end of January.

One thing consistent with all resorts I've been to is a complete lack of dealing properly with snowboards on skilifts. It seems to be made as difficult as physically possible.

Those newer pass reader things are brilliant though (a lot of places have them) and sometimes I wish the Oyster system was as sensitive, but you'd probably contract about 10 STDs from the average tube journey if they adopted them.

Counting down to Les Arcs!!

Leave on the snow train this Friday for a week of boarding... Just hoping I can still fit in my pants!!

I was across the valley in La Plagne last year. (That cable car is immense). Les Arcs has some really nice wide sweeping runs, generally lined with moguls or kickers. Really pleasant boarding, not many hard runs though as far as I could tell. There was a black I went down a couple of times that was utterly deserted and I did the length of it singing Ice Ice Baby and recording it with my camera in one hand.

this is the first winter I wont have been snowboarding in 14 years. little bit gutted about that but i'm still on holiday so dont mind so much. If I stay over here in Oz I'm gonna try to get to NZ for some boarding around june.

June might be a little early for the best snow in NZ,

I was across the valley in La Plagne last year. (That cable car is immense). Les Arcs has some really nice wide sweeping runs, generally lined with moguls or kickers. Really pleasant boarding, not many hard runs though as far as I could tell. There was a black I went down a couple of times that was utterly deserted and I did the length of it singing Ice Ice Baby and recording it with my camera in one hand.

I only started boarding a year ago so the level was just right! Nice and easy!! I'm hoping to nail turns this year and I'll be one very happy bunny!