I just smashed a remote and my wall

Lovelyman

Playing tennis with the Fiancee, who is now 'bored' of the wii, I did a SWEET serve. The shitty strap broke and the remote flew across the room, narrowly missing the TV and dented the wall.

The straps are pathetic we gently tugged the other and it gave a bit. How much for an actual strong catgut strap?

People are bound to get excited playing it.

Wonder if I could (should) sue them for the cost of replastering the wall :wacko:

Oh well, this cracked remote "wouldn't sync" so it'll be going back for a new one tomorrow, and I'll be adding my own reinforcements to the straps.

Idiot.

Well, yes, that's why you don't play tennis and golf in your living room ;)

No. There's just not room, the point is when playing these sports you don't let go of the implement. Mind you bowling is different, I can see why people have wanged the remote through the front of the telly while bowling. :wacko: Hmmmm, my daughter loves the bowling game. ;)

No. There's just not room, the point is when playing these sports you don't let go of the implement. Mind you bowling is different, I can see why people have wanged the remote through the front of the telly while bowling. :wacko: Hmmmm, my daughter loves the bowling game. ;)

Remember those mini bowling places (bowlingo or something) ?

A m8 back in the day slipped with the ball and hit the scoreboard, i wouldn't let him near a Wii - disaster written all over it.

Nintendo seem to agree as they're now doing a stronger strap in the US.

Is this true? Got a link?

I might have to get hold of these stronger straps (I assume the new straps will fit old Wiimotes). I'm also worried about letting over-exuberant friends use my Wii.

Idiocy. Plain and simple. Either that or they are all a bunch of daisies. I wonder if these people would fling a tennis raquet/golf club in the air if they were playing for real?

To be fair I've seen people lose there grip on both tennis raquets and golf clubs. However you might notice that the grips on those are special made so that they are as grippy as possible so either ruff rubber or strapping. The really problem with the wiimote is that it's shiny plastic, which with even the slightest bit of sweat on your hands becomes very slippy.

Nintendo warns Wii users not to get too excited

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07122006/323/nint...rs-excited.html

TOKYO (AFP) - Nintendo warned players of its new Wii video game console not to get too carried away when swinging the controller as they could accidently throw it into their television sets.

The warning follows reports that some users have cracked their TV screens when swinging the controller particularly hard to simulate the pitching of a baseball or the swinging of a tennis racket, after their wrist straps snapped.

"Of course before the launch of the Wii hardware Nintendo had a number

(Advertisement)

of tests on the durability of everything including the strap," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told reporters.

"But our understanding right now is that even beyond our expectations people are becoming more and more excited playing with the Wii," he added.

Nintendo, which launched the Wii in the United States last month and in Japan on Saturday, has been getting rave reviews for its new controller and games that shy away from blood-and-guts action.

But the Kyoto-based company said that some users might be getting too excited.

"We are encouraging people to understand that you really don't have to be so excited but rather you need to understand the control and then you're going to be the best player," said Nintendo senior managing director Shigeru Miyamoto.

"We are looking into the situation to see if there are additional methods to encourage people to kind of calm down so they would never throw away the controller itself," he said.

The wireless Wii controller is shaped like a television remote control and engineered with motion sensors and speakers.

By waving or swinging the controller, it can serve as a sword, tennis racket or car steering wheel, with a built-in speaker and rumble feature.

Nintendo leads the global market in portable machines and has been taking aim at beleaguered Sony's lead in stand-alone consoles.

Sony last month rolled out its long-awaited PlayStation 3, a super-fast machine with a high-definition DVD player, which had been beset by delays due to production problems.

Nintendo warns Wii users not to get too excited

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07122006/323/nint...rs-excited.html

"But our understanding right now is that even beyond our expectations people are becoming more and more excited playing with the Wii," he added.

I love how they've turned what could be a bad news story in to a tale of how much fun the Wii is! Brilliant :)

I have to admit, I've lost grip of mine in tennis. Wasnt concentrating and woosh, off it goes. Thankfully, the strap held. Was only a normal shot.

What I do repeatedly though is forget about the wrist strap, put controller down, move arm to say, get a drink, and hit things with the remote.

Fun times!

They have been producing stronger straps for the WiiMotes that come in WiiPlay for the UK. See here, Id also recommend getting one of those silicon gloves for the Wiimote as they reduce sweatyness and grip better.

My Wii came with a remote that had the stronger strap and Wii Play came with the weaker one. I can tell the difference because the wheel adapter has a sticky pad to protect the business end of the remote and it got glue on my remote. Cleaning it off left some tiny scratches, so I can tell the two remotes apart.

I hadn't opened Wii Play until after doing this.

What I do repeatedly though is forget about the wrist strap, put controller down, move arm to say, get a drink, and hit things with the remote.

Glad this isn't just me. On more than one occasion I've carefully set the remote down on my lap so I can scratch my nose with my right hand, only to forget the strap and forcefully whip the damn thing into my adam's apple.... leading to as close an approximation of :) as my face can manage.

Fun times indeed.

We were getting pretty manic here on Friday night, with much flagrant disregard of the wrist-strap rules that I'd set. Yet nothing got destroyed except for my back muscles.

The key is to the hold the remote properly with your index finger wrapped around the B trigger at all times. Anyone just holding it with all of their fingers wrapped around the battery cover is just asking for trouble when their hands get sweaty.

The B trigger is your friend.

I'd hope I could trust myself to keep hold of it, but it does make me nervous allowing anyone else to play it, which kind of defeats the purpose of what they are trying to achieve. I'm thinking of one regular visitor in particular who will let it slip if anyone will.