Wii consumer forum - MCV

MCV_UK

Hi,

It's Neil from games trade weekly MCV. As part of a Wii launch analysis feature we're running next week, we'd really like to get an idea of what gamers like yourselves think of the console, now that it has finally arrived.

There's loads to talk about - does it live up to the hype? does it disappoint? have you had problems tracking one down today? or has it been easy? what reaction have you had from 'non-gaming' types? And what are your thoughts on the launch titles? Am I asking too many questions?

We'd like to take a selection of comments and print them in the mag next week, complete with username. Also if you have any pics of the midnight launch, or other interesting/amusing shots of you or your friends playing on Wii, please do post them up here too.

any contributions welcome!

Neil

The complete lack of peripherals is a slap in the face to everyone who queued long hours for their machines, and the inability to supply Argos, PC world, and Currys with a single machine is farcical. But the fact that it's a complete sell-out gives me hope i'v bought a machine with a future.

I went into GameStation at 8.30am this morning expecting a queue, but I was the only person in there. Which was a surprise, although not a totally bad one - I was out the door with a Wii, Zelda, Red Steel and Monster 4X4 in around ten minuites. The staff were dressed up in costume - Mario, Leon from Resident Evil 2 and Ash Catchem (Pokemon) - and old skool Nintendo music was playing as I arrvied in store. The staff said that they had no spare consoles, and had sold 18 during their midnight launch.

Woolworths had a small selection of Wii stuff but none of it was priced, while WH Smiths had no Wii stuff at all. Game had been open since 7am and there was quite a few people in there buying Wiis, and also a demo pod with two girls demoing the console. I was hoping to get a SCART lead but all I could see was component cables.

I've had no trouble setting my Wii up, and so far I’ve spent around 2 hours on Red Steel. I was expecting it to look like a decent Xbox game, but instead it merely looks like a decent PlayStation 2 game. The controls are easy to get to grips with but the sword fighting seems a bit limited. You'd think that with a 16+ age rating there would be a bit of claret but there isn’t. Just loads of repetitive swearing. I'm not saying that blood makes a game good, it’s just that without it the sword fighting look like it's just two friends playfully sparing rather than trying to take each other's heads off.

There isn't a word limit to this, is there?

what reaction have you had from 'non-gaming' types?

Mentioned earlier my dad is on the Scottish executive for senior citizens, he's seen me gaming all my life and every machine I've ever had, but he was so taken with Wii Sports he's going to ask the councils to buy them for groups & homes, as a way of countering the perception that they're happy with dominos and bingo.

Worst part of launch: deliberately holding back consoles to sell out.

Granted that applies to any of the machines. But only this time do I care :unsure:

How do we know they're deliberately holding back? There's still shortages in Japan and North America so who's to say it's not just the rate they're manufacturing them? I mean their manufacturing target was about 2m per month which at this rate they're going to hit.

Mentioned earlier my dad is on the Scottish executive for senior citizens, he's seen me gaming all my life and every machine I've ever had, but he was so taken with Wii Sports he's going to ask the councils to buy them for groups & homes, as a way of countering the perception that they're happy with dominos and bingo.

That, is fucking ACE :unsure:

Nintendo = sexbest

How do we know they're deliberately holding back? There's still shortages in Japan and North America so who's to say it's not just the rate they're manufacturing them? I mean their manufacturing target was about 2m per month which at this rate they're going to hit.

Well, of course we don't know that for sure - but that's the thing, we don't know either way. From a business point of view surely it can only look good for your company's product to REPEATEDLY sell out, as it has been doing in the US and Japan. It was the same with the pink/blue DS + Nintendogs bundle last Christmas.

I was all ready to get one but have decided to delay until my birthday in August. Got a DS on launch and really felt the lack of software that really took advantage of the system, particularly a year later when the first price cut came and there were plenty of decent, innovative games about. Though Wii play and sports look fun I can't imagine them being long haul, single player games and for some reason I want the Cube version of Zelda (maybe because I've been waiting for it about two years) so I'll look in again in the summer and see how things are then.

The console itself looks lovely, beautiful lines, small and tidy and yet surprisingly heavy, and the stand works wonders. Remote has a nice weight to it, nun-chuk doesn't. The interface is good - you can see that there is a lot of room for the interface to grow.

Absolutely gutted that it only ships with composite, with component or rgb cables being non-existant at every place i tried ... the visuals are something that I can't comment on until I get the cables to do it justice and the ability to output in 480p.

Picked up a couple of games - Wii Sports, not too bad I can see it being a major hit in multiplayer, Rayman Rabid Rabbits, very enjoyable and yet I have hit a brick wall already with the bastard 'trace the outline to feed the rabbit' mini-game - throwing the cow was great though. Red Steel - wish I hadn't bothered with this shite, controls like a dog, looks sub-par next to what I am used to playing. Not tried Zelda yet - trying my hardest to hold back until i can source some component leads for this one.

So overall, lovely console with 3 good games out of the 4 I own - seriously let down by Nintendo's inability to provide decent cables for anyone even remotely interested in visual quality, if I thought that the console would be easy to get hold of next week (when the component cables are supposedly released) I would advise people to wait until then.

Well even the mother in law ( who has dismissed my game habit out of hand for years) tried out wii sports this morning. This little machine CAN WORK MIRACLES ............................

btw she loved it

EDIT: Lack of Component leads is really my only complaint

I was teaching at college today (Flash + photoshop) and halfway through the first lesson one of the students arrived with his newly purchased Wii... cue speed attach to the newly installed 32 inch flatscreen monitor and bingo: classes totally disrupted until lunchtime... Bizarre... INstantly there was a pretty large crowd surrounding the Screen despite not much happening for the first few setup screens.

Mainly I was surprised by how much understanding there was within the group of students concerning the launch, even the least technically savvy seemed to know a little about the Wii - so the marketers must be doing something right despite being saddled with a name that Little Briain would probably pause to consider what the hell to do with. Anyhow a group was soon watching boxing then golf then tennis being demonstrated and... well.. What the heck, it's my birthday so I wasn't going to yell at anyone. It was fun, Red Steel was demoed for a couple of minutes and then jetisoned in favour of Sports.

Overall it didn't sell me one, not straight away I know I'll get one eventually, but was an interesting session nonetheless to see a bunch of gamers and non-gamers getting to grips with the sports games. Graphically... I was dissapointed with most of what I saw: the menus that I saw were flat and plain and the Miis, despite being a genius concept, aren't as well implimented as I would have hoped to see once they were rendered and moving.

The most interesting thing of all, something that the ads have picked up, was not the watching of the games, but the watching of the people playing and the crowd around them. That was fun, there was a lot of instant interest and fun to be had. I hope it's something Nintendo can capitalise on fully because, as much as I just like games, whatever the format, you can have too much of space marines after a while...

.::: As much as I love the Xbox 360's online capabilities in all their glory, the Wii simply captured my heart. I've tried the Wii Remote many times at events, but actually using it at home, with all the features of the console itself in place, it becomes mesmerising and a bit of an obsession. Even when turned off I'm just waiting for the next time the disc slot turns blue.

It's a childish guilty pleasure, yet simultaneously makes the Xbox 360 look old-fashioned. And that's without even thinking of the games for the machine.

.::: As much as I love the Xbox 360's online capabilities in all their glory, the Wii simply captured my heart. I've tried the Wii Remote many times at events, but actually using it at home, with all the features of the console itself in place, it becomes mesmerising and a bit of an obsession. Even when turned off I'm just waiting for the next time the disc slot turns blue.

It's a childish guilty pleasure, yet simultaneously makes the Xbox 360 look old-fashioned. And that's without even thinking of the games for the machine.

Ooh, totally disagree with that. As much as I am enjoying the wii i vant help but wish the controller and games were on microsoft console. Such things as wii numbers instead of gamertags shows a lack of understanding on Nintendos part i feel, as does the opting for pogressive scan only and then not even providing enough cables to support it at launch.

Ooh, totally disagree with that. As much as I am enjoying the wii i vant help but wish the controller and games were on microsoft console. Such things as wii numbers instead of gamertags shows a lack of understanding on Nintendos part i feel, as does the opting for pogressive scan only and then not even providing enough cables to support it at launch.

.::: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but still this is online made fun instead of functional.

What am I saying, it's just mails and Mii's! :P

.::: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but still this is online made fun instead of functional.

What am I saying, it's just mails and Mii's! :P

As much as I am enjoying the Miis and that lovely blue light when someone is visiting me, I can help wonder why I like it? Im hoping some fucntionality comes out of it in the near future. Or even one now that I just dont know about?

The eternal question with the Wii, like every new console launch from the last few years is just why there are never enough to go around.

I've never been one to pre-order anything (more fool me I suppose), but unlike almost every other product that goes to the market, the main companies seem to hav some inability to fathom just how many they actually might sell of any given console.

It strikes me that either the factories that they employ to make these things are abysmal, or that the sales people have a fundamental lack of experience...

People like to be able to walk into a shop and buy what they want. It just never works out that way in the wacky world of console gaming.

The eternal question with the Wii, like every new console launch from the last few years is just why there are never enough to go around.

I've never been one to pre-order anything (more fool me I suppose), but unlike almost every other product that goes to the market, the main companies seem to hav some inability to fathom just how many they actually might sell of any given console.

It strikes me that either the factories that they employ to make these things are abysmal, or that the sales people have a fundamental lack of experience...

People like to be able to walk into a shop and buy what they want. It just never works out that way in the wacky world of console gaming.

The problem with consoles is that - unlike almost any other product I can think of - there is huge launch demand.

Availability is simply down to a trade-off between sitting on ever increasing stockpiles sitting in warehouses, and opening up the pipeline with the knowledge that you will not be able to satisfy initial demand.

Opening the Wii up was exciting, it has two trays, and there's just so much stuff in it.

I had a few problems getting it online. My wireless router uses a 64-bit WEP code over four lines, until I read the manual, I didn't realise the Wii would only accept the first line. From then on it was plain sailing.

Using the remote for the first time is completely alien, but in and exciting way, and it does become second nature in a matter of minutes.

Wii Sports is simple fun. I wasn't overwhelmed by it all, so it was a slight letdown. I then went round a friend's and played multiplayer and then it become much more fun. Wii Play demonstrates what the remote can do far better I believe, but then the games are simpler so it's easier to spot.

This morning however I had a eureka moment playing Wii Sports again. It all seemed to come together. I realised how key it is to sit central, but other things like my bowling being straighter rather than always drifting off to the right, and with tennis I realised that I was always swinging a little early, so all my shots were just going diagonally back and forwards making rallies last forever and hard to win points. When I delayed my swinging slightly I could place the ball much better. Moments like that just raise a smile.

So day two is much more satisfying in that sense, and I've not even unwrapped Zelda.

Console gaming is nothing like any other induistry. With other consumer electronics there is a steady drip feed of regular upgrades providing similar functionality from many different manufacturers. With consoles once every 5 years the 3 manufacturers all release their one big upgrade. Other media do not have generational cycles and the lack of competing manufacturers in the games industry makes the competition a lot more fierce. Also with other electronic items they all play the same media (mp3s, dvds etc) so it doesn't matter as much which of the manufacturers you purchase from.

All of this creates a huge amount of competition between the manufacturers and as such they all want to best each other by either launching first or launching at a similar time to the others. This puts pressure of the companies to meet unrealistic dates so they can either be first or keep up with their competitors, creating stock shortages at launch. The other factor in the shortages is, as has already been stated, the higher profile of console launches due to their scarcity. Nobody cues up for, or even knows the date of the releases of MP3 players or TVs and because of this lack of pressure to launch and the lack of pressure from direct competition the manufacturers of other electronics devices can either take more time manufacturing more stock as they will not be chastised for pushing back a release date or can launch with lower stock because there is less focus on the launch so shortages are less likley.