rllmuk
Vemsie

Preacher: now an AMC TV show - No comic spoilers please

All this makes me want to read them all again. I think my favoruite book is when he goes back home to his fucked up family. I think it was only book 2 but it was just awesome.

How's Bill Hicks going to get in it?

and Elvis (although thats not quite the same)

I’d agree that it peaked with the Masada storyline but I don’t think it started to lose it’s way until after he decided to split up Jessie, Tulip and Cassidey. The whole ‘Jessie the sherrif’ arc was dire.

Lance Henriksen as the Saint of Killers is an inspired bit of casting. I'm looking forward to this.

I thought the bit where Jesse becomes sheriff of Salvation was a bit of an up-turn, to be honest – I got the sense the series was drifting a bit before that. Before Masada, the comics always had a really strong, driving plot, whether it was rescuing Cassidy or escaping the clutches of his family. The later ones (like War in the Sun & Dixie Fried) seemed a bit by the numbers.

Salvation was proper fucked-up in places, which I quite liked, and there are some brilliant setpieces – I love the bit outside the Sheriff's office, where a guy sticks a gun in Jesse's face.

"Safety."

"What?"

"Safety's on". *Jesse kicks guy in the nuts*

The ending was a bit lame though, meat-wife notwithstanding. I always though that 'Tall In The Saddle' one-shot was Preacher's lowest ebb, that was super-lame.

Salvation was proper fucked-up in places, which I quite liked, and there are some brilliant setpieces – I love the bit outside the Sheriff's office, where a guy sticks a gun in Jesse's face.

"Safety."

"What?"

"Safety's on". *Jesse kicks guy in the nuts*

The ending was a bit lame though, meat-wife notwithstanding. I always though that 'Tall In The Saddle' one-shot was Preacher's lowest ebb, that was super-lame.

That kind of sums up Garth Ennis for me; even when his stories aren’t great he has a knack of throwing out great little scenes like that.

I just read an interview on IGN with Mark Stephen Johnson or whatever he's called, and he says that he wants to make an "exact" version of Preacher for TV.

Now, is it just me, or does that seem a bit pointless? I mean, the story's already been told once in comics form and to adapt it EXACTLY for television just comes across as redundant. I'd rather they had some original content rather than just a completely unsurprising re-tread.

I just read an interview on IGN with Mark Stephen Johnson or whatever he's called, and he says that he wants to make an "exact" version of Preacher for TV.

Now, is it just me, or does that seem a bit pointless? I mean, the story's already been told once in comics form and to adapt it EXACTLY for television just comes across as redundant. I'd rather they had some original content rather than just a completely unsurprising re-tread.

I'd be happy with an exact version. Same goes for Watchmen.

how many people would see the TV version compared to the comic. It would be utterly new to a huge audience.

http://www.joblo.com/preacher-directors

For years, it seemed that God would return to walk the Earth before a live-action version of the outstanding comic series PREACHER would be seen by human eyes. But we may just see adaptation before resurrection after all.

HBO is planning a full series that will bring every issue of the entire sordid, enthusiastically blasphemous DC/Vertigo comic to the small screen... but that announcement came with the arguably dreadful news that GHOST RIDER and DAREDEVIL virtuoso Mark Steven Johnson would be handling the project.

But wait, there may be a savior after all. Several, in fact. CHUD says that in addition to Robert Rodriguez, A-list directors such as Brian de Palma and David Cronenberg have been approached and/or are interested in directing the pilot or individual episodes. People like Danny Boyle and Alex Proyas are also reportedly on the want list for the HBO show.

It's still in the early phases so this is only discussion at the moment, but it sounds like they're serious enough to put feelers out to fanboy-friendly helmers (and the cable outlet desperately needs a SOPRANOS-level "must watch" show). So you know guys like Guillermo del Toro and Quentin Tarantino won't be far down that list.

Either of those would be amazing, QT i think would like a different challange is he a fan? And regarding being "fanboy friendly" (i've borrowed all the books from a freind but dont own anyway myself) i dont think wanting an accurate adaptation counts as being a fan boy does it? Thats more of general oint about cmoic/book movies though.

While we're sticking Kurt Russell as Cassidy in there, why don't we have Charles Bronson as Jesse, Lauren Bacall as Tulip, and, I don't know, Methuselah as Starr?

I'd ather they go with a good no name cast, nothing spoils something like 'oh its that guy from ...'.

Deadwood :(

After seeing Death Proof I reckon Kurt Russell would make an awesome Cassidy.

He's a bit old isn't he?

No.

:lol:

While we're sticking Kurt Russell as Cassidy in there, why don't we have Charles Bronson as Jesse, Lauren Bacall as Tulip, and, I don't know, Methuselah as Starr?

How about 1970’s Clint Eastwood as The Saint and the guy from The Lives of Others as Starr?

its dead

Mark Steven Johnson, who brought Daredevil and Ghost Rider to the big screen, told The Continuum that his attempts to bring Garth Ennis' Preacher to HBO as a series were close but ultimately unsuccessful.

"We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going," Johnson told The Continuum. "But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!

"It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I've learned my lesson on that front and I won't do it again. So I'm afraid it's dead at HBO.

"I've heard someone is in the process of getting the rights to turn it into a feature film. I hope that happens. But I hope it happens as a series of movies as one movie couldn't do it justice. I really love that story and I dedicated a lot of my time to honor Garth's work. But it wasn't meant to be."

Johnson is currently in post-production on When in Rome -- a comedy starrring Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Danny DeVito, Dax Shephard, Jon Heder and Angelica Huston -- and said he is enjoying returning to his comedy roots.

"It's a lot like Grumpy Old Men in feel and I'm having a blast," he said.

Too dark for HBO :)

Arse(face)

We're never gonna see it are we.

Not in any decent form - that was pretty much the best hope of an accurate adaptation...

So really no point making any version of it now.... Any film version is surely going to run into the same issues - and they'll have to turn in something around the 2 hour mark that is (more or less) self contained... The chances of it being shite are very high... Hopefully they just won't bother....

Sam Mendes to Direct Preacher!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

October 29, 2008

Columbia Pictures has picked up the film rights to Preacher, the popular 1990s Vertigo series, for an adaptation to be directed by Sam Mendes (upcoming Revolutionary Road).

The Hollywood Reporter says Neal Moritz and his Original Films are producing with Kickstart Productions' Jason Netter.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The project was previously set up as a one-hour series at HBO but was put into turnaround. Mark Steven Johnson wrote a pilot which Howard Deutch was attached to direct.

A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.