IGNORED

Preacher: now an AMC TV show - No comic spoilers please

Vemsie

7 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Ah right.  I thought it was one of their dead bodies.

What's an Adelphi?  

low ranking angel type. Lower than the seraphim.

Kind of like the clerics of the angel world

On 7/27/2016 at 16:12, SeanR said:

the angel in question was the thing in the bath

The hand they dug up was from when Cassidy killed Fiore and DeBlanc.

On 7/27/2016 at 16:13, JPickford said:

Ah right.  I thought it was one of their dead bodies.

What's an Adelphi?  

Administrators and bureaucrats of Heaven

I don't get the way they positioned this finale tbh. Really enjoyed it, up until the final act.

I knew Annville was going to have a disaster but they basically spent a whole season building up characters like Hugo Root, Odin Quincannon etc. and then just shit over it all.

I'm looking forward to season 2 and 'you know who' but I'm a tad disappointed with this finale's finale.

Oh my god, season 2 we'll be watching the incredible hulk.

Preacher is David Bruce banner, going from town to town, looking for a cure, genesis is the hulk, getting him out of situations, and the saint is Jack McGee, doggedly hunting him down.

On 8/1/2016 at 10:06, JPickford said:

Couldn't resist a 9am viewing.   Absolutely brilliant finale.  I want to watch the whole lot again now.   

This.

As someone who knows nothing about the comic, I have really enjoyed this. Slowed up in the last few weeks, but there was never an episode I didn't enjoy.

This one was brilliant. We have a completely different season 2 coming, but I could watch that season all over again. Loved it, and it gave the slow burn some justification. The whole scene in the church was great, and the payoff of those brief scenes all season with the guy in power plant was aces.

My favourite TV show so far this year, no question. After the disappointment of Mr Robot season 2, which I can't get into as I thought season 1 was a perfect whole, this is brilliant to set up a new adventure.

The finale was in no way shit. Well, apart from you-know-what. :blink: :lol: The humour's really quite British at times, isn't it? Anyone get a bit of a Douglas Adams vibe from the...

Spoiler

God scene in the church? I'm thinking especially of the bit where "God" admits that he's not God, and they've lost him. Mind you, I also got a Star Trek 5 vibe as well.

I did like the Dillon Jesse hair in the flashbacks. Plus, was the double fisted dildo a comics nod too?

Was a good, but very uneven first season. Let's hope we get to see the man in the hat or the skull tattooed bad men in S2.

• 2 weeks later...

so disappointed in this show - after 4 episodes I thought it was totally brilliant, fast paced, funny, Tarantino-esque levels of inventive gore/violence and it just felt unique. I have no knowledge at all of the comics or story so was coming to it all fresh.

then it settled into a boring dull miserable mope fest for several eps as they all gloomed around the church and town and nothing much happened at all

then the final episode came along, I honestly thought the church scene was utterly embarrassing, they must have been cringing at the material and acting it out. If an episode like that had come earlier in the season I'd have ditched the show there and then but was invested so stuck it out.

As I don't know the comics not sure where the story goes next so will give it another chance when it comes back next year, as if it can regain the tone of the start of the series then I may enjoy it again.

• 1 month later...

Has a comic readers thread for this even been discussed? Just thought I'd go back through the thread after watching the first few episodes to see if people's opinions matched my own and @K seems to completely ruin something assuming everyone's read the comic before the second ep had aired. 

Whether they stick to it in the show or not it's kind of annoying and I'll probably avoid discussing the show in here because of it. Loving it thus far, though...

Not sure if people talked about a separate GOT-style thread. Don't recall any discussions. I think probably because there wasn't the numbers of people in each camp. I think we could have done a better job with spoilers in here though.

I really enjoyed the show. More than I was expecting to as I didn't have high hopes for it. It was an interesting way at telling some of the stories and one I'd not seen tried before with adaptations.