Preacher: now an AMC TV show - No comic spoilers please

Vemsie

While the last few episodes have felt like filler, knowing nothing of the source material, I am intrigued about how the 2 time zones fit together. Maybe I have missed some clues, but I have no idea how this fits together yet

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

While the last few episodes have felt like filler, knowing nothing of the source material, I am intrigued about how the 2 time zones fit together. Maybe I have missed some clues, but I have no idea how this fits together yet

a certain character needs to introduced, for it to even start making sense...

38 minutes ago, SeanR said:

a certain character needs to introduced, for it to even start making sense...

Colour me intrigued. I hope we get some sort of explanation before season one is done, even if it's a cliffhanger reveal of how it fits together

20 hours ago, Space Renegade Ulala said:

Jeez, while I don't hate it, an adaptation where Jesse is a huge piece of shit and Cassidy - Cassidy! - is the most decent, moral and upstanding of the main trio is certainly screwy as fuck.

Sorry and I really aint.

Enjoyed this one a bit more, at least there was some development in it, and a leading up to the last 2 episodes. Still no sign of drawing stuff together though, they have to do something on that for those of us who know nothing of the source material to have something to think about.

*watches the new episode*

"What a bizarre diversion of a side plot with Tulip. And what about Cassidy, are we going to see hi- OH FUCKING CHRIST"

Guessing the town is totally going to blow up by the season's end, though more through corporate environmental idiocy than anything supernatural. And looks like Fiore & DeBlanc are off to Boot Hill, yay.

On 18/07/2016 at 17:21, Space Renegade Ulala said:

*watches the new episode*

"What a bizarre diversion of a side plot with Tulip. And what about Cassidy, are we going to see hi- OH FUCKING CHRIST"

hey, it's slightly more acceptable than my first thought at was going to happen...

After a surprisingly promising (i.e. not shit) start, I'm finding myself struggling to really enjoy this.

OK, fine, they wanted it to be a prequel to the comics, which is why they've not yet made much use of all the available material, but does it really have to be this slow?

I don't mind slow-paced shows. I'll happily defend Mad Men's slowness, along with that of other various other shows that often faced complaints of "nothing happens".

But this seems to be missing something that made other slow-paced shows good...

Comic chat, skip past if you're only watching the show and want no surprises.

Spoiler

Being too lazy to dig my old copies out, I was pleased to find somewhere online with scans of the entire regular series (apart from #19) available to read. It moves at a cracking pace and Starr is as magnificent as I remember but what really hits hard is the pathetic drunken heel turn - especially considering the adorable origin story that proceeded it - and subsequent shitshow that ensues. Some shocking and awful things are said, it's magnificent gut punch.

One thing that comes from re-reading it is seeing how incompatible the story arcs are with a standard, regular cast TV show. Cassidy, Arseface, and the Saint sometimes entirely fuck off for long periods which makes me wonder how they can possibly do stories where it's just Jesse and Tulip, or a long flashback, and there's nothing for the others to do. The Saint peaks about midway then is barely seen again till the very end, Cass is hardly in the final stretch, and Arseface becomes largely peripheral before the halfway point. If, as rumoured, the network are so enamoured with Joe Gilgun that they see Cassidy as the Daryl of the show (the breakout character more popular than the main), they may want him around as much as possible.

Similarly, in light of this latest episode, I wonder if Arseface is going to take John Wayne's role in the story from here, as Jesse's moral centre/imaginary friend. Presumably there'd be some kind of estate/image rights issue they might not want to deal with and it'd be a shame to ditch the kid for season or two as he's doing a good job with the character.

23 minutes ago, Space Renegade Ulala said:

If, as rumoured, the network are so enamoured with Joe Gilgun that they see Cassidy as the Daryl of the show (the breakout character more popular than the main), they may want him around as much as possible.

I'd settle for a cassidy flashback or two, rather than a mini-series, but with only two episodes to go...