Preacher: now an AMC TV show - No comic spoilers please

Vemsie

Having read the comic when it came out & re-reading it now, I have to say it's not really what I remember it being. It's quite puerile & it has an unhealthy fascination with sexual violence & deviations of almost every character in it. This TV series on the other hand has the potential to take some of the strands laid out in it and make something truly wonderful.

As it is, the first four episodes have been fair paced & are building character, which is what it needs to do in a first series, not skip straight to the 'fireworks factory'. I like that they've changed some of the characters (like Hugo & Eugene Root in particular). I get the feeling that by the end of this series, Jesse will begin his 'quest' after something massive happening to Annville, likely involving 'the cowboy' seen in episode 2.

Never seen the comic, but watched all 4 episodes back to back, really enjoyed them and think I'm in for the duration.

From the sounds of it, the TV show is deviating quite a lot from the source material, perhaps this is a good thing if it manages to keep it on our screens?

Hmmm, never read the comics. I kind of found the first 2 episodes, entertaining but not great. Then I read people here saying episode 3 wasn't that good and it put me off watching it for a week. Then the following week people again said episode 4 wasn't that good so I've sort of given up. I'm tempted to actually skip the tv series and read the comic instead.

Well.... Hmm.

I want to urge you to stick with the series, but if you didn't like the first two episodes I'm not sure you'll like any of them.

And I want to urge you to give the comics a miss because it's peurile, dated and badly written. But I sense I'm in the minority, as it definitely seems to be one of the better regarded comics around. 

Preacher is one of the most overrated comics of all time. It's total garbage. I came to it late, and off the back of lots of hype, which always disappoints, but beyond swearing, hillbilly's and gore I just didn't get what there was to like about it at all.

:lol: Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to pour vinegar all over your free meal. But it's exactly like that. As I said earlier, if I'd read it when it came out and I was 14 or whatever, I'd have loved it. Reading it as a 36 year old, it just seems poor on all fronts.

Glad it's so well liked though, because if it wasn't, the show would never have been made. And my lack of enjoyment of the comic doesn't diminish how much I'm enjoying the show.

I'm still enjoying this despite nothing much really happening and it definitely being mis-sold as an action series. I'm bemused as to who the woman in the orange polo shirt is - she's in it several times per episode but I'm not sure what contribution she's made to the story. She just seems to "be there".

On 30/06/2016 at 10:06 PM, ScouserInExile said:

Might just be getting a bit sensitive in my old age, but I thought the whole "make the boy watch" thing seemed really unnecessary. 

Enjoyed it otherwise.

On 30/06/2016 at 10:17 PM, Captain LeChuck said:

You mean unnecessary?  It was grim, but of the time.

Which bit was that?

Really enjoyed this week's episode. I sense things are going to start moving in a direction that's more like the comics, plot wise, from here on in...

38 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

Which bit was that?

Really enjoyed this week's episode. I sense things are going to start moving in a direction that's more like the comics, plot wise, from here on in...

It was in the old west part of the episode. The grizzled cowboy* saw it in the saloon.

* (Yes, I know who he is ;) .)

Oho, and so the seeds of Cass' discontent are sown. Somewhat baffled by the turn Arseface's story has taken there ("it doesn't work like that!!!11" apart from one memorable time with granny's boys) and Tulip's just outright awful (character-wise) so far but Fiore & DeBlanc are great, hopefully next week will see a wrap up of the Old West side-story so they can go to Boot Hill and hit that panic button.

Edit: Hahaha, what the fuck? Even the nice lady from church is from the UK, so in this Texas set exploration of Americana, that's her, Jesse, Cass, the Saint, Fiore, and DeBlanc, plus Tulip being Irish. Has there been some kind of extinction level event for American TV actors or something?

I really don't get Tulip as a character or whatever the fuck she was up to on this week's episode. She barges in the house of that church lady, starts shouting, comes back later to help her do church stuff? So she can annoy Preacher again? 

It seems like they're having a very hard time having her do anything meaningful. 

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I really don't get Tulip as a character or whatever the fuck she was up to on this week's episode. She barges in the house of that church lady, starts shouting, comes back later to help her do church stuff? So she can annoy Preacher again? 

It seems like they're having a very hard time having her do anything meaningful. 

she's trying to figure out why jesse turned his back on a life of crime by trying the whole churchy-helping-people thing.

or a way to get to him.

I reckon