Preacher: now an AMC TV show - No comic spoilers please

Vemsie

Coolest news in a long time, right?

Well, the fact that it's coming to HBO is the good news. This could be another Six Feet Under.

The bad news are the people behind it. Still, Stephen Hoskins made Lost in Space before he got involved with 24 so not all hope is lost.

One thing though: Lance Henriksen as the Saint of Killers. Thanks.

Full story:

Here

For more info on the comics (which I love), go here

Having finally gotten around to the torrenting malarky, I have to agree, Global Frequency was wicked and would have made for my favouritist show ever (but then I've always had a soft spot for Michelle Forbes).

As for this...it's automatically better than what was planned (Rachel fucking Talalalalalalay and Woodenman from X-Men) but I'm still not sure it will work. They really had better not fuck it up.

"The other news is that the pilot is being written by Mark Steven Johnson, the man behind Daredevil and the upcoming Ghost Rider. The pilot is being directed by Howard Deutch, who last directed The Whole Ten Yards. And The Odd Couple II. And Grumpier Old Men. To be fair to him, he directed Pretty in Pink as well."

This is going to be EXCELLENT.

There's no way Preacher can be "done" on TV. As damn cool as it would be to get a kick-arse adaption of it, it's simply too fucked up for television.

I'm a fucksight more glad they're doing it as a series rather then a movie - at least the story can breathe within a TV series.

Excellent news :(

I think Preacher's superpower is just a rubbish one.

It's rubbish from a storytelling point of view, because the writer kept having to invent reasons why Jesse just couldn't use his superpower to get out of ANY situation he found himself in. It got a bit silly when someone asked him why he didn't just use the Voice to tell a group of baddies to drop their guns, and he says "I just forgot".

Makes for some very cool scenes, though.

There's no way Preacher can be "done" on TV. As damn cool as it would be to get a kick-arse adaption of it, it's simply too fucked up for television.

Lets be honest, it's too fucked up for comics too.

In a good way, of course.

And what happens when they do a Lost/ 24 and decide its so popular they have to stretch it out for six more seasons after the main story finishes, and invent lots more wacky adventures for JC and Cassidy to get up to after the saint has popped God's cloggs?

Snideyness aside, we have been saying for years that an full-on HBO adaption is the best way to bring Preacher to the screen. So, its a promising start.

And what happens when they do a Lost/ 24 and decide its so popular they have to stretch it out for six more seasons after the main story finishes, and invent lots more wacky adventures for JC and Cassidy to get up to after the saint has popped God's cloggs?

To be fair, the comic kind of lost its direction after Masada. I got the sense Ennis didn't really know how to end it or how to get there, so it drifted for a good couple of years. It was still good, but it's easy to see how a series could be stretched indefinitely - Sam Beckett never got home, and I'm pretty sure Richard Kimble never got the man who killed his wife, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jesse Custer went a long way without ever killing God.

cast.jpg

...and I'm pretty sure Richard Kimble never got the man who killed his wife.

Actually he did (well, Gerard did) in a finale that broke viewing records.

Most watched single episode in US TV history until "The Who Shot JR?" episode of Dallas.

And to be honest I thought the story became something special after Masada when it started to be a little less about the fucked-up-ed-ness of events and a little more about the characters.

Still love Cass' letter in the final issue. Such a good ending.

To be fair, the comic kind of lost its direction after Masada. I got the sense Ennis didn't really know how to end it or how to get there, so it drifted for a good couple of years. It was still good, but it's easy to see how a series could be stretched indefinitely - Sam Beckett never got home, and I'm pretty sure Richard Kimble never got the man who killed his wife, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jesse Custer went a long way without ever killing God.

I’d agree that it peaked with the Masada storyline but I don’t think it started to lose it’s way until after he decided to split up Jessie, Tulip and Cassidey. The whole ‘Jessie the sherrif’ arc was dire.

Lance Henriksen as the Saint of Killers is an inspired bit of casting. I'm looking forward to this.

Tim Roth's too old, as is that other Cassidy casting staple, Robert Carlyle. Cass is essentially a lived in, scabby looking 16 year old. Cillian Murphy's a good call.

I saw a picture on another board of Clancy Brown looking old and mean and it has to be said, he looked perfect for the SoK though yes, Lance Henriksen is a great choice too.

Of course, if somehow it works out and gets a series, the real questions are would they really show the 'meat wife' and which lucky bastard gets to play Starr. It's the best role of the bunch, increasing amount of maimed body parts notwithstanding.

I'd like to see Patrick Stewart playing Starr, playing against type as Ben Kingsley did in 'Sexy Beast.' I heard that Morgan Freeman was considered to play the Saint of Killers when the project was first announced, which would have been interesting. Seriously though, Lance Henriksen is the only realistic choice to play the Saint. I hope they ask him. *crosses fingers*

You're right, Tim Roth is too old for Cassidy. Paddy Constantine may make a good Irish vampire but I suppose he's to old as well.