rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Hello Goaty ♥

A thread for PS3 owners Here

I'm in the exact same boat - I've tried pretty much every display mode combination I can find, and I've still found no way round the error (the general consensus seems to be that it's because the US machine just doesn't do PAL output however you set it up). So, being pessimistic, I think the answer might be that we don't get past the problem just yet.

I had the same errors trying to play Wipeout. Tried all different settings on the PS3 but still got the error. I then changed the TV ratio to 4:3 and it worked. Funny thing is, Wipeout now plays no matter what settings I use. (I have a US PS3 connected to a Samsung 40" LCD via HDMI @ 1080i).

Linux? Not the ideal solution in my limited experience though.

Or rip them and play them that way as the PS3 can play TS files. (Does that include the region protection stuff?)

any way i can watch ntsc dvds on my pal machine?

When you say NTSC and PAL are you actually talking about Region 1 and Region 2? Because it will play NTSC discs if they are Region 2.

I had the same errors trying to play Wipeout. Tried all different settings on the PS3 but still got the error. I then changed the TV ratio to 4:3 and it worked. Funny thing is, Wipeout now plays no matter what settings I use. (I have a US PS3 connected to a Samsung 40" LCD via HDMI @ 1080i).

I tried this the other day, and again just now and crash still refuses to boot, although I'm using component. It's no pleasant having to step down to 480i to change ratio either

Can we establish how many people are having this problem, their typical set up and what they have tried with this? I was already debating buying a new monitor just for games and this would certainly help make a decision. I have tried a hdmi->dvi cable but the ps3 uses HDCP which is a problem for my dvi devices, and my dads tv has hdmi but no dvi. We have no hdmi cable though (guess I'll have to buy one)

I've tried my us ps3 on all resolutions (except 1080p) over component with 4:3 on the 480i) setting. I've also tried NTSC over rgb scart with no joy.

This is quite strange - after seeing Rawlo's post above, I've just had another go at rearranging my display settings after previously not being able to get Crash Bandicoot to run. This time, I took the resolution down to 480, and also set the screen size to 4:3 (something that I might not have done when trying this the other day). With these settings, I went back and tried to run Crash Bandicoot - and I still got the error. Facing defeat once again in getting it to run, I restored my settings back to what they were originally (16:9, 1080i), and gave Crash Bandicoot one more go, just in case.

This time it worked, and now runs every time.

My setup by the way is a US PS3, connected via a HDMI cable to a Toshiba 32WLT66, screen size 16:9, resolution 1080i.

I wonder if these problems are to do with difference relating to PAL conversion I'd imagine that Wipeout was a full screen PAL conversion where as Crash being a US game may not have been converted properly at all for PAL and hence it can work (with some dicking) whilst Wipeout may never work... at a guess

Cheers

Quexex

This is quite strange - after seeing Rawlo's post above, I've just had another go at rearranging my display settings after previously not being able to get Crash Bandicoot to run. This time, I took the resolution down to 480, and also set the screen size to 4:3 (something that I might not have done when trying this the other day). With these settings, I went back and tried to run Crash Bandicoot - and I still got the error. Facing defeat once again in getting it to run, I restored my settings back to what they were originally (16:9, 1080i), and gave Crash Bandicoot one more go, just in case.

This time it worked, and now runs every time.

My setup by the way is a US PS3, connected via a HDMI cable to a Toshiba 32WLT66, screen size 16:9, resolution 1080i.

The common link so far is HDMI. I've been trying it every day on the various modes but no joy yet

Firmware 1.82 on the way it seems:

Hey everyone, you told us you wanted to hear about updates a few days in advance, so here’s a quick heads up that we have a PS3 firmware update in the works. Scheduled for release in the next few days, firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. Hopefully this update is moving us closer to the audio playback features many of you commented about in my post the other week. We’re continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility. I’ll chime in here quickly with an update once the firmware is live and ready. Thanks for all of your support and feedback, keep it coming!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/06/26/...82-coming-soon/

The Playstation blog is awesome. Since Mr Crazy left Sony have been repairing their image very well indeed.

Roll on the damn price-cut!

Everyone will get the stripped-back version in the end - it's how it was always meant to be, but it wasn't compatible enough at launch, as I understand things.

More fecking firmware updates, I appreciate the fact they are continuing to improve but the damn things take forever to download and update. A once a month update which incorporates everything from that month would be great, instead its all haphazrd and scatter brained.

There making great strides in being pro active and i actually like the way they are doing it in terms of the communication but quite honestly they need to structure it a lot better in terms of release. I`ll probably be a lone voice in this mind you.

Completely. Why not just only update once a month if it bothers you?

Not if you want to access the online store they aren't. Actually can you play any online multiplayer games if you don't have the latest update, I'm pretty sure you can't.

So all in all not that optional.

As stated i`m not against the new functionality part of it so if there is new functionality I`ll take it, I just feel the release seems a little haphazrd and not that well structured.

Eitherways its just what i think, its nothing too major in the grand scheme of things.

Their pretty badly implemented full stop to be honest. If they worked like the 360 firmware updates in both speed and ease of installation then I wouldn't have a problem if they launched a new one every day.

It's the whole, I have no idea there is a firmware update until I either enter the store or go into an online game. If you're in game you basically get told to go back to the dash and install it, that's hardly user friendly.

Once there you have to navigate to the firmware option select, DL it, which takes a ridculous amount of time. I can't remember if it's at this point you actually have to attached the controller via a USB lead!!!! and then accept some license conditions, and then install it (the ordering might be slightly out off ). Oh and then the fucking idiocy that is the fact you have to remember to delete the install packages yourself!

The 360 method of basically telling you it's avaliable as soon as you connect to live and then installing it in a matter of seconds after a simple button push is much much better.

From a frequency updates point of view I prefer the PS3 model in that there seems to be a constant stream of improvements, which may be indicative of the fact that they really hadn't sorted the FW out before launch than anything else but still, as opposed to the 6 monthly big update that the 360 has.

I've no complaints at all with the PS3 updates.

It takes about 5-10 mins to do

It has allowed me to play more PS2 and fixed any issues with the BC on PS2 games I own

It now allow me to upscale the couple of hundred DVD's I have

It now allows Motorstorm and the like to boot automatically in its optimal resolution.

It now lets you play BR in 720p

Granted you could argue that all the above should have been implemented at launch.