IGNORED

A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

Oh, yeah, it'll image in 3D okay, especially the IR camera (I can't recall where but I saw a demo photo where it overlaid a mesh onto the camera picture of someone, it seemed remarkably accurate) but it still needs to find and track the shape it's supposed to be following. It's not like the Wii where there's one object being tracked (the sensor bar), so that's a complication. I think it'll be used in Eyetoy-type applications. You're not going to be waving the Sixaxis around like a Wii Remote so I don't see where Wii Turbo comes from.

Sony have updated the website to include the 1.31 updates...

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates

The main changes are...

New for 1.31: Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles. To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.

New for 1.31: You can now play PlayStation®2 format software titles that must be installed on the hard disk

Perhaps Sony should employ the Bleem! guys to help with the BC stuff.

Sneaky Sony. The four LEDs on the back of the SixAxis will interact with the existing EyeToy camera to duplicate the function of the Wii sensor bar, but in reverse, the LEDs are on the Sixaxis and the image capture device is on the TV. With the Wii this is round the other way.

Very clever of Sony to get the functionality there from the start.

Sony actually filed a patent quite awhile back.

Arstechnica news story

Sneaky Sony. The four LEDs on the back of the SixAxis will interact with the existing EyeToy camera to duplicate the function of the Wii sensor bar, but in reverse, the LEDs are on the Sixaxis and the image capture device is on the TV. With the Wii this is round the other way.

Very clever of Sony to get the functionality there from the start.

Sony actually filed a patent quite awhile back.

Arstechnica news story

Of course, it's one-player games only, as you have to be Player 7 to have all 4 lights appear. And it stops working if you try to hold the PS3 pad in the middle one-handed, as of course your fingers cover the lights.

Fire up the anti-aircraft guns, I'm shooting this one down. It will be an extra controller if it ever appears, however like the Eyetoy Wand I'm not sure it'll actually become a product.

Actually, when they said the Sixaxis was better than the Wiimote because it required no external calibration device, they were commiting the Fruitbowl Inaccuracy. I could really go for a delicious pear just now.

I have no idea what you mean by Fruitbowl Inaccuracy, so I typed it into google, and bizarrely a rllmuk thread came up third on the list...

Just to say, I got to pay Ridge with a free-standing controller in a store yesterday, so I could use the tilt. Either it needed calibration or it's really unusable, though it's probably a combination of Ridge being a launch game and not suited to it.