IGNORED

Games™ Issue 51

davejm

whats wrong with it? realistically, what?

Reviews

Gears Of War (360) - 10 - a brilliant game. a 9 or a 10.

Wii Sports (Wii) - 6 - a limited showcase for the wii controller

Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - 9 - great but same old zelda with new controls

Call Of Duty 3 (360) - 8 - brilliant game

Mario Kart Double Dash (GC) - 5 - bad AI and weird cheating boring single player experience

Wasn't it Edge who gave Double Dash a 5?

Also, have you actually played Wii Sports and Zelda all the way through?

I am amazed at the number of people commenting that have played all of the Wii games already.

whats wrong with it? realistically, what?

Reviews

Gears Of War (360) - 10 - a brilliant game. a 9 or a 10.

Wii Sports (Wii) - 6 - a limited showcase for the wii controller

Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - 9 - great but same old zelda with new controls

Call Of Duty 3 (360) - 8 - brilliant game

Mario Kart Double Dash (GC) - 5 - bad AI and weird cheating boring single player experience

I have only played three of those (Gears, COD3 and MKDD) and those scores look fine to me.

Wasn't it Edge who gave Double Dash a 5?

Also, have you actually played Wii Sports and Zelda all the way through?

Again, no i havent played zelda all the way through, but iv read reviews, watched previews, trailers, video reviews all from good sources.

They all say good solid zelda, some innovation and a lot of comforting familiarity.

They cant reinvent zelda, look at the anger at celdas graphics. It got a 9 and im happy about it. But for me, Gears is all new and more my kind of game than zelda, so i'd agree with a higher mark. But theyre both great games.

Its got an 8 quid charge though and its less sophisticated than almost any mmorpg. It should have no charge, simple as.

I agree but a monthly charge surely doesn't make it a 4/10 game. It's a simple, social game that is an enhanced version of a legendary Dreamcast game. I don't really care about GamesTM's score. I am sure they will validate the score with the accompanying text. The magazine looks good this month and I'll certainly purchase it even if I don't currently agree with that specific score. The reviews of the wii games will surely be more worthy of discussion.

The charge would certainly figure in my score i have to say. I was considering it (as a minor fan of PSO), but now i wont entertain it. 40-50 quid and then 100 quid for a single year! And allegedly its even less sophisticated than the older versions, and dominated by confusion and lag.

Hmm, those are some very nice and agreeable scores. I'm glad to see that GamesTM feels the GoW love and seems to be perfectly happy about Call of Duty 3 (I know I am) and Rainbow Six (I hope that I will). Also glad to see they're not buying into the launch-inflation scores of Wii games and marks out the single game that seems very good with a beautiful 9 and gives all the half-arsed or failed attempts and freebie(ish) techdemo's the kicking they deserve.

And allegedly its even less sophisticated than the older versions, and dominated by confusion and lag.

That's just wrong on all accounts! It's a shallow, simple game that is certainly reminiscent of the Dreamcast originals but has more substance than those. It's played on servers so I don't see how lag could be a factor and I don't see where confusion comes into it barring the first time playing online. Of course it's been surpassed by World of Warcraft etc but it was never ever really even part of the same genre.

That's just wrong on all accounts! It's a shallow, simple game that is certainly reminiscent of the Dreamcast originals but has more substance than those. It's played on servers so I don't see how lag could be a factor and I don't see where confusion comes into it barring the first time playing online. Of course it's been surpassed by World of Warcraft etc but it was never ever really even part of the same genre.

I didnt think 360 games were allowed on servers tho mate?

I didnt think 360 games were allowed on servers tho mate?

The £6.99 pays for servers and new content. You still have the usage of your friends list etc but when you go online you are actually told you are connecting to Phantasy Star Universe's servers. There's loads of people running about the lobbies. This just isn't possible using Live's peer to peer mechanism.

Words fail me. You couldn't make it up!

You can make it up - and they have done!

I have GamesTM issue 13 sitting in front of me and they gave MK:DD 8/10.

It was edge who gave it a 5/10 which is comlpete rubbish. In fact i have never bought a copy of edge since.

MK:DD is still the multiplayer game of choice in my house.

owl

They're grumpy gits and didn't factor in that it's free with the remote.

Don't you mean the remote is free with the game?

Anyway why factor that in, surely VFM has nothing to do with the score for a game (we are going over old ground here?)

--

I'm most surprised about GOW 10. I can't exactly see me replaying it through in SP much. I tried on Insane the other day, and just kept getting mashed up. It was boring without the coop element.

Interesting stuff...

You can make it up - and they have done!

I have GamesTM issue 13 sitting in front of me and they gave MK:DD 8/10.

It was edge who gave it a 5/10 which is comlpete rubbish. In fact i have never bought a copy of edge since.

MK:DD is still the multiplayer game of choice in my house.

owl

Don't be absurd. GamesTM gave it 5.

I've watched some Gears of War videos and I assume that you have to use some kind of special heroin-injecting controller to play it, because from what I saw it looked like really, really, fucking dull and derivative space marines game.

Wow, lets have something with Dali style abstart art and characters that look colourful and quirky! I cant believe..well you I can, but davros dismissing the game despite what an amazing exp it is purely on its image.

I've watched some Gears of War videos and I assume that you have to use some kind of special heroin-injecting controller to play it, because from what I saw it looked like really, really, fucking dull and derivative space marines game.

The massive thread full of pretty much universal praise on this very forum says your very much wrong as usual. The GamesTM 10/10 may lead you to think they think it's alright to. Play the fucking game before you criticise it. ;)

Is there anything actually new about Gears of War other than the ability to duck and cover, the shakey run-cam and the U3 engine?

And is there anything more to it than charmless warhammer knockoff characters battling in an 11 year old boys idea of war?

No you're right.

Its just man orcs behind walls leaning out to shoot.