rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Corporal Flashback

"Video"

I've thought about it a lot, but today, it'd with a heavy heart that the world "video" and its current plight came to the fore.

Think about it. I mean, I was born in 1986, so a lot of the members here outdo me, but as far as I'm concerned, I remember when I was seven, and we'd "rent a video out".

It was magical! Indie rental shops were brilliant. Allow me to relate to you my own tale. First of, 20 seconds walk away from the shop where I first saw and got issue one of Sonic the Comic, was a rental store called The Chantry, though everybody called it Fred's, after the owner. It had an each-way Nudger bandit, and arcade machines running Metro Cross (My first ever arcade experience!), Black Tiger and Winder Boy. It was magical.

It was had the movie Split Second, my first horror movie and one I haven't seen since, therefore don't know if it was a dream or not. i THink it was about a monster that ate people's hearyts, and the finale was in a train subway.

Anywya, this shop was great. Amid the arcade machines, it had your basic indie-rental-store-posters: Nosferato, Elm St, etc. It also had a tiny little room full of kids rentals, that would come to housed the video s for the Sonic, Mario, Dreamstone etc cartoons. :blink: The whole shop smelled fusty, and some of its rentals wer etrivial! Like the Games Arena SNES games video.

My point is, while privatisiation and chain-store...isation have been taking over the world, it hasn't affected me and I haven't beeen bothered... EXCEPT for ther demise of the video rental store. This is a loss I truly mourn. Fred's has been turned into an antique shop which has since closed down... Fred is probably renting his wares in the next world. But I will never forget that shop.

A closed down Global Video at the top of my street is up To Let. Even though I know it wouldn't turn a profit, I'm been seriously considering renting it and tuerning into an indie rental store, with stereotypical titles that you found in every rental shop, souch as Friday the 13th part IV, Mac & Me, and the ever-elusive Split Second.

Indie Rewntal Shops, we knew thee well.

*Salute*

Great topic! Although your ten years younger then me I know exactly what you mean. You really missed the videoshop golden years. Pre-Blockbuster Video coming into the UK there would be several video rental stores in every town, even the local Happy Shopper store would have a small rack of videos for rent. I remember that our families 1st video was a Betamax, but the section in the video rental shop for that format was small and just got smaller and smaller. (Bit like the Gamecube section in Game).

These shops always had brown well worn carpet and and a musty smell. I remember that the video cases for rentals were always padded inside with foam.

It was really special to go and get a video, and during the summer holidays my mum would rent loads just to keep us quiet. When my brother and I were a bit older we were allowed to go there alone to choose a video, so we would wait outside and when some older looking lad went in we would ask him to rent an 18 film for us, (Die Hard, Robocop, beverly Hills Cop).

Then there was the downside that there were never enough copies of the new popluar films in stock for rent. Often we needed to wait weeks to even see a film on rental becuase of this. Some shops offered a discount if you brought the video back the same day for more popluar films.

Massive massive shame, but it is true.

The advantage though, is that at the minute videos are dirt cheap. My local indie game store which sells some DVDs and videos as well had a massive clearout over the space of about 2 months. Sold about 1,500 videos for 99p each, or 4 for £2.50. Then the last few weeks they changed it to 50p per video, 20 videos for a tenner is great value. All in pristine condition as well. Ended up getting some absolute gems like Rabid Grannies, first three Hellraisers, Stand By Me, Breakfast Club, three different Monkey tapes. Must have spent about £60-70 on videos.

Cash Converters is a great place to go for videos as well. Always dirt cheap too, and they seem to be keeping the video supply strong as well.

2 video rental shops stick in my mind. One was in the small village I lived in as a kid (I left there when I was 6) and its main function was a repair shop for radios and TVs but they used to have books full of film and TV titles. Everytime I was ill I'd rent the old Spiderman cartoons (the ones that are now on Bravo in the morning). It had that real warm old people smell about the place.

The other one I remember had a King of Fighters cabinet and a massive popcorn machine in it. It had one of the largest selection of video nasties too and as a kid I remember spending hours (more like a couple of minutes) just looking through all the great front covers wishing I could rent them instead of the films I always came out with (Ewoks: The Battle for Endor).

There are still a a fair few indy rental places down here in Cornwall (I work in one in Falmouth) as people are seemingly only just starting to properly embrace chain stores (and fire, shoes and medicine)- the opening of an HMV in Truro a couple of years ago caused a mass outbreak of hysteria and bovine sacrifice. You still get kids loudly professing their glee as they rifle through the horror section for the third time that week so little's changed there. I always die a little inside whenever I see someone looking sold on a film and then quickly changing their mind when they realise it's a foreign film and they may have to read. I took great joy in making people suddenly interested in the Ghibli films we have in by simply taking the "foreign" sticker off the cases and putting them in the family section. That you can do that is one of the great things about indy shops.

VideoVault in Kirkintilloch. There was another up teh street that even did those VC2000 things with the massive cases.

I remember my dad not telling us he had bought one, me going into a dark room seeing this thing blinking and I thought it was a bomb...

First movie rented: Time Bandits.

Best ever memory - my birthday consisting of karate practice, hot dogs & then getting a copy of Gremlins just before they closed :)

It was had the movie Split Second, my first horror movie and one I haven't seen since, therefore don't know if it was a dream or not. i THink it was about a monster that ate people's hearyts, and the finale was in a train subway.*Salute*

Rutger Hauer, flooded london of the future, Alien-rip-off monster, with an astrology fixation. Scorpio?

Good film. :lol:

My sister and her boyfriend used to run video stores for Apollo, then they were bought out, by Primetime, or something like that?

Cotham Video in Bristol was an amazing place in its heyday - basically every wall had a layer of videotapes ranging from awesome goodness to so-bad-it's-goodness. In the summer though they started flogging everything as they were closing - they were still doing this in october when I had to leave, but I assume that they've actually closed by now.

They were selling the videos for like 50p each though - the original Spiderman film (starring Him Out Of Dune) was what I went in for, as it has special meaning to me and a friend. Great times.

Aw man, that makes me feel old. I remember back in the day, going to Titles in Consett to rent a game and a video at the end of each week. Best weekend ever was Yoshi's Island and The Cable Guy. Then Titles closed in '99, and all we had was a Global Video which was totally shit. Memories.

First rented video: Blazing Saddles in 1981. My eldest brother worked repairing TV and videos so he managed to get a video recorder before anyone else we knew. It was a surreal experience, watching a film when ou wanted, at home! And you could pause it whilst you went to the loo!

My cousin, my twin brother and me would get Atari 2600 games out on a weekend. And yes, that diminishing rack of Betamax tapes with the orange rather than yellow stickers.

My brother used to run a video shop in the late 80s/early 90s, I was never short of promotional crap like posters, cut-outs, etc.

Last time I rented a video was New Years 2005. I was in Bristol with a friend of mine. She suggested we pop down to Gloucester Road and pick a film up. It was great, had all the posters all over the place, PS2 games, bored girl watching some teen comedy behind the counter. I wonder if they made any money?

These shops always had brown well worn carpet and and a musty smell. I remember that the video cases for rentals were always padded inside with foam.

Exactly. Just like my local Azad (apart from the foam bit). A combination of backroom cigarette smoke, mouldering plastic boxes and decaying tape. The surly staff. The unwound tapes. The back by 6pm or else deadline. The not very well hidden adult section.

And those covers. Hundreds of lurid late eighties / early nineties shock value horror films beckoning a young lad to take a peek. I probably got more entertainment as a young lad looking at the back of the boxes than I did years later actually watching them. It certainly made Ghoulies 3 seem a lot scarier than it would have been if I'd actually been allowed to rent it out.

Tapes that had not been rewound was a personal pet hate. It's just a case of pushing a button and in less than a minite the tape is ready for the next viewer, some people are too lazy!

I don't think it's laziness, I think it's just that most people (wrongly) don't think that kind of thing is their responsibility, or rather, realise that they can get away without doing it.

I'm completely against that attitude -my mindset is to think at all times about how my actions will affect others- but since coming to Uni and living closely with other people I've realised just what selfish, short-sighted cunts most people are. There's an attitude of 'look out for number 1' that permeates even to the little things like not rewinding videos.

Cotham Video in Bristol was an amazing place in its heyday - basically every wall had a layer of videotapes ranging from awesome goodness to so-bad-it's-goodness. In the summer though they started flogging everything as they were closing - they were still doing this in october when I had to leave, but I assume that they've actually closed by now.

They were selling the videos for like 50p each though - the original Spiderman film (starring Him Out Of Dune) was what I went in for, as it has special meaning to me and a friend. Great times.

I live just up the hill on Cotham Road and I think they finally closed down about a week ago. 21st Century Flicks in Clifton is great though, impossible to actually find a film unless you ask where it is, but that's part of the charm.