rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Corporal Flashback

Die Hard

Ban request - correcting a quote and still getting it wrong.

"No fuckin' shit lady, do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?"

I know, it's a sham, I checked it after posting, and found I'd got the "fuckin" in the wrong place. Story of my life.

One of the best films ever, no doubt.

I watched/listened to 1 & 2 whilst decorating my front room a week or so ago.

It is true that both don't really seem to have aged.

Did Bruce Willis go straight from Moonlighting to this? Not that I didn't like Moonlighting but it is a bit of class casting if he did.

Did Bruce Willis go straight from Moonlighting to this? Not that I didn't like Moonlighting but it is a bit of class casting if he did.

He was actually still doing Moonlighting when he starred in Die Hard, according to IMDB. Die Hard came out in 1988 and he did his last episode of Moonlighting in 1989.

The first time I watched it, when he straps the monitor and the explosives to the chair and gets ready to let it fly, I'm like this: :lol:.

I've watched it countless times since then, the script is burned into my head and I still watch it every time it's on TV, even through I have it on DVD. Best action movie ever made.

Whilst on my arts degree we did Die Hard as part of a popular culture module. Apparently it was the original post-modern action film, taking all the cues and moves from the previous decade of action films and making it it's own somehow. I'm not the sort of person who gets all wanky about action films like that, but it was a great session sat there talking about Die Hard, even the hard-core film students had to admit it was a quality film.

Whilst on my arts degree we did Die Hard as part of a popular culture module. Apparently it was the original post-modern action film, taking all the cues and moves from the previous decade of action films and making it it's own somehow. I'm not the sort of person who gets all wanky about action films like that, but it was a great session sat there talking about Die Hard, even the hard-core film students had to admit it was a quality film.

Did they talk about how the great action-movies of the 80's were a direct response to "Reaganomics"? The whole idea of a movie-star in the white house, the "evil-empire" embodiment of the Soviet Union, and the new "bull-market" of wall street?

Did they talk about how the great action-movies of the 80's were a direct response to "Reaganomics"? The whole idea of a movie-star in the white house, the "evil-empire" embodiment of the Soviet Union, and the new "bull-market" of wall street?

Well, our tutor was going on about the fact it bucked the trend as far as seemingly pro-Reagan action films went. Bear in mind other modules in the course included Mills & Boon, 15-to-1 and Are You Being Served :lol:

I think Blind Date was his first movie lead. It seems to get panned by the critics, but I remember it as being pretty good fun.

This thread has inspired me to rewatch Die Hard.

I'm sat here watching it now, enjoying it immensely.

Even though I've seen it a few times and know how things turn out it's still highly entertaining.

And I'm sure the bottle of wine is adding to the effect.

Oh, can someone do me a favour? I've only got the VHS, so I can't do this, but can someone post a screenshot of that bad guy, the one who throws the hockey-puck grendade about 20 minutes in, and chainsaws the phone lines? He looks like someone I know. :lol:

What, this fella?

badman.jpg

That's the one. ;)

Don't wanna sound demanding or anything, but can you get a facier shot? From about when he throws that hockey puck thing a little earlier.

Thanks. :wub:

He was played by Alexander Godunov - who I've only just discoverd died over 10 years ago!

Try Google image search - http://images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid...sa=N&tab=wi

Loads of pics of him there.

Just watching it on Channel 4. Must be the 50th time. It is just utterly sublime in every way. Not only the best action film ever made, but one of the very best in any genre.

I Hard for Die Hard.

The Guardian have a Die Hard quiz to celebrate 25 years since the release of the original (or, as LordCookie says, the only one). I got 19/20 - seeing as the one wrong answer was about Die Hard 4.0, I'n not too fussed.

I expect several of you to get 20 - if not, I'll blow the roof, you'll spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time you figure out what went wrong, I'll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.

You scored 20 out of a possible 20

Perfect score! If we were awarding prizes for this, we'd send you a copy of Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality

Yippee-kay-ay, muddy funsters.

I just watched Die Hard on the plane in full for the first time in a while and it struck me just how well constructed the whole film is; each scene is there for a reason and there is a logical progression from one to the next. The little touches always stand out too; Al Leong's sugar obsession, Rickman's long glance outside as he locks the front door. It still stands up today as one of the best action films ever.