rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Corporal Flashback

Die Hard

Something that’s always slightly bugged me...

”I am an exceptional thief; and since I’m moving up to kidnapping you should be more polite”.

Moving up to kidnapping ? No mention of Hans already having shot Mr Takagi and Ellis in the face.

• Upvote 1

While watching this today with Pants McSkill from the forum, he argued that the gag:

Agent Johnson: I'm agent Johnson, this is special agent Johnson

Dwayne T Robinson: Pleased to meet you

Agent Johnson: No relation

Was fluffed by the "pleased to meet you" line interrupting the gag.

For me it improves the gag. 

51 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

There’s an amazingly subtle sight gag which I only noticed for the first time last year, having been far too naive when I was younger.

When Ellis sits with Gruber to convince McClane to hand himself in, the big blonde fellow brings him a can of coke which he looks at disappointedly for a split-second, before mouthing his gratitude. The implication being that off-screen he asked for ‘some coke’ and they brought him a coca-cola.

That whole scene has transitioned from the one I dreaded the most as a kid to the funniest in the film as I’ve gotten older. Ellis is such an incredible dickhead.

You're opening up a can of worms with the can of coke chat. 

Many of us remember Ellis asking for a coke when we saw it in the 80s. A scene that the internet seems to have no memory of at all. 

There's even a thread on here about it. 

I distinctly remember it

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, danbot said:

Mandela effect?

That's what I'm thinking, as the internet turns up no evidence. There's a Reddit about it as well. 

I remember it extremely vividly though. He almost demands a coke as like a negotiating power move. Then when he sees the guy angrily give him the coke he thinks he's in control of the negotiation. He's emboldened by it. 

But it might all be in my head

For what it’s worth I was watching what was presumably an original 35mm print and he didn’t ask for one in that.

You can never really rule out weird TV versions of 80s films though. Micheal Mann’s The Keep has never even had a Blu-ray release and yet people have seen about four different cuts with different endings screened on various channels around the world. 

On 26/12/2018 at 01:45, CarloOos said:

That whole scene has transitioned from the one I dreaded the most as a kid to the funniest in the film as I’ve gotten older. Ellis is such an incredible dickhead.

tenor.gif

On 25/12/2018 at 18:12, Thor said:

This is glorious is in 4k. :)

I got the Die Hard box set on Blu-ray for Christmas, obv I already have Die Hard on Blu-ray but now I need it in 4k - only managed to watch it 3 times over Christmas so far....

I loved Die hard with a vengeance when it was originally released. However i just think it's overly long nowadays and loses steam.

Still, all three first films are great. 4 isnt great by any means but is still watchable i guess. 5 was an abomination to mankind.

After all this time, I just found out what happened to Karl at the end.

I'd always thought that he'd been found still hanging and brought down by the police, but I saw on the big screen a few months back that he'd kept his hand between the chain and his neck so that's how he actually survived. But I still wondered where he could have got his own gun to try and kill McClane at the end. That was the one plot point that seemed too convenient.

I saw on the Die Hard fans wiki just now that Karl freed himself from the chains and made his way down pretending to be hostage (which also explains him throwing off a blanket, which presumably he'd picked to hide himself and the gun).

I can't believe that Die Hard is even better today, for me, than it was yesterday!

• Upvote 2