It's not often lately that I sit with a bottle of boozer and a good video.

However, I bought myself a big bottle fo Jaegermeister (my first :( ) and I felt the urge to stick my Die Hard video in.

Isn't it good? :( There's the fact that Die hard was originally going to be Commando II, and don't get my wrong, Commando is my secend most watched movie ever, but Die Hard as it hapened is grea. For a start, being from a small, pathetic town, I find it fascinating that the whoel thing can happen in just one building - it heightens the danger, knowing th bad guys could be in the next room. And it had a very !urgent edge, like when Hans tricks John into thinking he's a civiliant. Or DOES he he trick him? :( Maical. And the monologue between John and the cop outside is almost a very well-done anachronism, the tale of the (almost) captured to the free...

Die Hard Rules. \\m//

Shame about the title of Die Hard 4. :blink: Is that still on>? Not heard anything for a while. :(

And it has aged so well.

I even loved the second one to pieces, the third one less so. But yeah, Die Hard is definitely one of the best movies EVER.

"What, do ya think I'm calling for a pizza!?"

Predator, Die Hard and Aliens the holy trilogy of action films.

And it had a very !urgent edge, like when Hans tricks John into thinking he's a civiliant. Or DOES he he trick him?

"Do you think I'm fucking stupid Hans?"

And the classic line (bloody scrawl) used by me and mine in every videogame since:

"Now I have a machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho"

And it has aged so well.

I even loved the second one to pieces, the third one less so. But yeah, Die Hard is definitely one of the best movies EVER.

"What, do ya think I'm calling for a pizza!?"

*cough*

"no shit lady, do I sound like I'm ordering a fuckin pizza?!"

Man, what a film!

Err, wrong answer Hans, do you want to go for double Jeoperdy where the scores can really go up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Lasts...281979_novel%29

I’m sure I read somewhere that Die Hard was originally intended as a sequel to Commando; in the original screenplay Jenny Matrix is stuck in Nakatomi Plaza and John Matrix has to save her. Arnie pulled out and the role was re-written with John McClane fighting to save his wife.

I read about them in Time magazine.

Trivia: For the shot where Hans Gruber falls from the top of the building, Alan Rickman was actually falling from a 20-foot high model. He was holding on to a stunt man and falling on to an air bag. To get the right reaction, the stunt man dropped Rickman on the count of two, not three. :)

omghans.gifomghans.gifomghans.gifomghans.gifomghans.gif

• Upvote 2

1 = best, 2 = superb, 3 = too many obvious laughs (tho it was the first I saw in the pictures)

Best bit in Die Hard 2 is the Britania Airways bit : "We're just like British Rail, love, we're getting there" or words to that effect.

Yes, should watch 1 and 2 back to back one of these evenings with a couple of beverages.

As Mark Kermode likes to say every time Die Hard is mentioned: "WHERE ARE ZOSE DEDONADORS!?"

It's hard to believe that this is approaching 20 years old now! Christ! Where does the time go?

I have fond recollections of three of the all-time best action movies (Die Hard, Predator & Robocop) each having UK releases in the dark, post-Christmas months, and going to see them with my wife (then girlfriend). Makes me feel all warm inside somehow.

80s movies: I doubt I'll ever feel the same way about cinema again.

Die Hard embodies the essence of the 80's movie. It truly was the best decade for films mainly due to producers having the balls to produce violent and enjoyable action fests. The action films now barely even get an 18 rated certificate.

Even though I was born halfway through the 80's I was brought up on these films and its those films that gave me my passion for film.

Even though I was born halfway through the 80's I was brought up on these films and its those films that gave me my passion for film.

High five buddy. I'm in the same boat, and couldn't agree more.

Die Hard embodies the essence of the 80's movie. It truly was the best decade for films mainly due to producers having the balls to produce violent and enjoyable action fests. The action films now barely even get an 18 rated certificate.

If only someone would have the balls to make the likes of Commando again. Crank is the only action film recently that has even been close.

If only someone would have the balls to make the likes of Commando again. Crank is the only action film recently that has even been close.

If they made something like Commando again you can bet your arse it would be a 12A, a 15 at best, they'd go for the popular vote.

Back in the 80s an 18 certificate was the seal of ... hmm, not quality, but you knew you were in for some no-nonsense action.

As CactuarBill said, Die Hard was the pinnacle of that decade's action films.

I love the bit where Sgt. Al Powell is buying twinkies in the shop and you can hear Dean Martin's "Let It Snow" on in the background.

And then he's driving round the bottom of the tower and the corpse lands on his car. Magical stuff.

From the Die Hard 2 wiki:

The movie references Val Verde, a fictional country shared only by Commando (film) also written by Steven E. de Souza.

Might explain Silent Runner's confusion.

Back in the 80s an 18 certificate was the seal of ... hmm, not quality, but you knew you were in for some no-nonsense action.

So, so true. Unfortunately for me, i missed the whole period (born in 1986) so I was watching 80's films during the 90's. Saw Terminator when i was 4, Dad had the VHS and i slapped it into the VCR and lapped it up. I can just remember bits of that day. Same scenario for Robocop, and it paved the way for me in terms of what I now enjoy in a film.

Those early years, in terms of lifestyle, were the fucking best. Attending Primary School during the day, swapping VHS videos with my mates of the latest 80's action film we could get our hands on, then retiring in the night to my bed to watch them on my wee 14" tv in my room. Fuck, brings a wee tear to my eye knowing that those crazy days of balls to the wall 80's action is all gone ;)

God, i loved those days. Bring them back!

*cough*

"no shit lady, do I sound like I'm ordering a fuckin pizza?!"

Man, what a film!

Ban request - correcting a quote and still getting it wrong.

"No fuckin' shit lady, do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?"