The Hobbit Trilogy

Yeah I don't really care. Especially about Legolas's love interest. I actively don't give a shit about that. I watched it thinking how they were going to drag these sections from the book for 3 hours.

And I wanted to love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching this via Netflix on iPad retina screen and it was much much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Ok, it's basically one massive, reality straining set piece after another after the initial dwarf gathering intro, but as a fantasy epic it totally worked for me.

Extended Cut is virtually the same as the Theatrical, some small additions in Hobbiton and Rivendell, certainly nowhere near the difference there was between the Lord Of the Rings versions.

The Extras are excellent, hours of the stuff. Just shows how much the technology has changed , not a 'Bigature' to be seen.

One good side effect of watching the extras (and probably highlights a failing with both the book and film) is that you really get to know the dwarf personalities and history, which I thought improved the film when re watching afterwards.

Extended Cut is virtually the same as the Theatrical, some small additions in Hobbiton and Rivendell, certainly nowhere near the difference there was between the Lord Of the Rings versions.

I'm not surprised really - LoTR was three massive books they had to cut into 8 hours, but The Hobbit is a very short book with three films to stretch it over. They're adding stuff that wasn't in the book to fill the movies so I doubt they're going to miss anything from the source material.

I'm excited for Interstellar.

A 2 1/2 hour edit of all three movies would be an interesting challenge. I still wish Del Toro had finished what he started, particularly as Pacific Rim wasn't all that and his Cthulhu project was canned.

A 2 1/2 hour edit of all three movies would be an interesting challenge. I still wish Del Toro had finished what he started, particularly as Pacific Rim wasn't all that and his Cthulu project was canned.

Does anyone know what the deal was with Del Toro? He quit the Hobbit in frustration because he couldn't get it started...and then Peter Jackson takes over, starts filming it seemed like a week later, and did the bulk of production and got the first one out before Del Toro had finished Pacific Rim.

Well there was some speculation that he basically didn't want to be the David Moyes to Peter Jackson's Alex Ferguson-

"Do I think Peter wanted to take over The Hobbit? No. But he was going to be involved one way or the other, and as an artist, Guillermo wanted to make his version of the movie. I think he wondered: 'How much of an imprint can I put on this? ... Do I want to spend years of my life being caretaker of someone else's franchise?'"

http://www.blastr.com/2012/10/is_this_the_real_reason_d.php

Excited for film starring Matthew McConaughey AND Anne Hathaway?

You either enjoy cruel and unusual punishment, or really like punching cinema screens.

You need to watch some of his newer movies, start with Killer Joe.

Well there was some speculation that he basically didn't want to be the David Moyes to Peter Jackson's Alex Ferguson-

http://www.blastr.com/2012/10/is_this_the_real_reason_d.php

I believe the official version* rather than this hearsay nonsense. If Del Toro was worried about his work being compared to Peter Jackson's then he wouldn't have signed up in the first place.

*The production was being delayed forever due to rights issues and union hold ups so Del Toro moved on.

I believe the official version* rather than this hearsay nonsense. If Del Toro was worried about his work being compared to Peter Jackson's then he wouldn't have signed up in the first place.

*The production was being delayed forever due to rights issues and union hold ups so Del Toro moved on.

It does seem though that it was delayed forever right up until Del Toro quit and then as soon as he was gone went full steam ahead.

Maybe it was just bad luck on his part.

• 4 weeks later...

So Desolation of Smaug is out next week and early word is good. Former CHUD writer Jeremy Slater, now a professional screen writer, said it's much better than the first with the last hour basically being Jurassic Park in Middle-earth.

Though to be quite honest, I'm probably more excited by the trailers if we get the same ones as the Yanks: Godzilla versus Walter White, Nolan's Interstellar, The Wachowski's Jupiter Ascending and the Cruise missile's Edge of Tomorrow. That sci-fi. Oh, and Spider-Man 2 and 300 2, but those I could do without.

Watched the first Hobbit on Netflix this week and enjoyed it more than I'd been led to believe I would. The CGI's the most intrusive stuff and there are a couple of moments that verge on the 'running through brontosaurus legs' in King Kong.

Apart from that, performances were pretty good and it skipped along quite nicely. I even didn't mind Sylvester McCoy and his rabbit-sled.

Looking forward to Desolation of Smaug.