rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Hobbit Trilogy

Given how New Line have had such a bad year (especially with Golden Compass underperforming in the US), this is hardly a surprise. Wouldn't surprise me to see them digging into other Tolkien stuff like The Silmarilion and Unfinished Tales in the future either. The franchise is obviously a goldmine, although if they had an ounce of imagination they'd be making this into a film: the Witch-king of Angmar.

Given how New Line have had such a bad year (especially with Golden Compass underperforming in the US), this is hardly a surprise. Wouldn't surprise me to see them digging into other Tolkien stuff like The Silmarilion and Unfinished Tales in the future either.

I remember Unfinished Tales contains a sequence edited out of The Lord of the Rings in which Gandalf explains the real reason he organised the events of the Hobbit (

he could see that Sauron was trying to gain power and wanted to get rid of Smaug the dragon before Sauron could use him as a weapon

). I can imagine them incorporating some details like that if they want to keep the tone as consistent as possible with LOTR, especially if they're going to stretch it into two films. I suppose they'll make the connection between "the Necromancer" in the Hobbit and Sauron more explicit too.

Aren't they supposed to be using details like that from those various sources to fill in some of the story between Hobbit and LotR and including it in the second movie?

From /Film regarding the possibility of Del Toro directing the films.

Spider-man and Evil Dead director Sam Raimi is expected to helm the upcoming Peter Jackson-produced Hobbit films, after making his return to horror with Drag Me to Hell (more on that later). But what if Raimi and New Line can’t ink a deal? Pan’s Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro is said to be in consideration for the upcoming JRR Tolkien adaptation and sequel.

“I’ve heard some rumblings, but nothing official. I don’t want to think about it because it’s such an eventuality,” Guillermo del Toro told EW. “It’s the only Tolkien book I read. I tried my best to read the Lord of the Rings, the trilogy. I could not. I could not. They were very dense. And then one day, I bought The Hobbit. I read it and I loved it. So it would be a privilege. But listen, I wish I knew.”

Anyone who has seen del Toro’s Labyrinth has an idea of what Guillermo is capable of. Apparently Guillermo met with Jackson last year, and has been dying to work with the filmmaker and his New Zealand-based WETA workshop.

Children of Men director Alfonso Cuaron is also a name being thrown around Hollywood. But as of right now no one is officially signed on to the films, which will be shot back to back. The first film will be an adaptation of The Hobbit, while the second film will serve as a prequel which bridges the gap between The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, using Tolkien’s lengthy appendices as source material.

Raimi’s announcement might seem like very odd timing, but truth is that the directing gig will be in post production before pre-production on The Hobbit films begins. Jackson and his life/creative partner Fran Walsh have yet to start on the screenplays (and won’t officially be able to until the strike ends), but New Line is hoping to enter into pre-production by 2009 for a 2010 and 2011 release. Jackson, who is currently shooting The Lovely Bones, will be unavailable until February 2008.

It is probably unlikely considering how full Del Toro's schedule is for the next couple of years but I would certainly like to see him tackle the material. Cuaron would also be a good choice. Either way I could think of many directors I'd rather see do The Hobbit than Raimi.

Del Toro has certainly shown he's more than competent with the fantasy genre; I think he'd be a great choice for director.

Two films, though? I haven't read The Hobbit since I was eight, can someone remind me if there's a particularly good point in the book to have the story split into two parts?

Well if that /Film article is to be believed the first movie is The Hobbit and the second is a bridge between LotR's and The Hobbit using Tolkien's appendices as the source.

I remember the original plan was to make a film of The Hobbit, followed by a "new Lord Of The Rings prequel" based on Tolkien's notes, so that sounds about right. It's a real shame that Peter Jackson isn't directing though. :blink:

I remember the original plan was to make a film of The Hobbit, followed by a "new Lord Of The Rings prequel" based on Tolkien's notes, so that sounds about right.

Jackson, Boyens and Walsh will really show their writing chops if they can pull off something good in the second film. It'd be one of the best pieces of screenwriting ever to tie it all together IMO.

If he can't even read LoTR then how can he possibly hope to direct a prequel to it? He'd have to know all the Middle Earth material by heart to make a decent crack at it.

Well if that /Film article is to be believed the first movie is The Hobbit and the second is a bridge between LotR's and The Hobbit using Tolkien's appendices as the source.

Yes, Wood says the same in an interview he did recently with MTV

"I haven't spoken to [Jackson] directly about it [but] I've e-mailed him, and as far as I know, the two films that they're doing, one will be 'The Hobbit' and another will take place between the 60 years that happened between 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings,'" the once and future Frodo enthused to MTV News, possibly confirming rumors that the second planned film would not be a Part II, but instead a narrative bridge.

Shit, how cool is that?

Hey folks, Harry here... In the geek community for quite some time, the rumor has been that Guillermo Del Toro was going to be directing THE HOBBIT. The day that the announcement came that Peter Jackson was playing nice with New Line - and that Weta was going to be handling the fx - and everyone was a happy family again... I was talking to Guillermo about some personal issues (the Lapband operation, Guillermo had one quite a while back, and has been encouraging me to take that step. Which I am) - and during that conversation - he suddenly brought up THE HOBBIT and how he wanted to direct it and how he thought it was going to happen.

Well now - the trades are reporting on it. I saw the story up this morning on Hollywood Reporter's Story - the writing on this project has not been OFFICIALLY decided yet, due to the Writer's strike, but apparently Jackson and Guillermo will oversee the script's creation.

They're saying $150 million per film... and I just wonder... is Ron Perlman going to be the voice of Smaug? And will Gollum suddenly become a man in a costume via Doug Jones? (of course not, Andy Serkis will be back) But you KNOW that Doug Jones is gonna be something awesome in this.

When Guillermo and I talked about it, he spoke very heartfelt about how he had to adhere to what Peter had already established - but how he couldn't wait to expand that universe with the environments, creatures and most especially Smaug. I'm giddy.

Not just a fan boy rumour then. Big shame PJ isn't coming back for continuities sake, but I guess Del Toro will have to do. <_<

Does this mean no Harry Potter film finale for Del Toro? I was so looking forward to that...

Well obviously everyone wanted PJ to come back to direct these but if theres anyone else who could do a good job of the films then its Del Toro. Pans Labyrinth was fantastic and could fit the style of LotR

I'd rather see del Toro do it than Jackson. Del Toro is a far more interesting film maker nowadays than Jackson and as good as his LotR films were at the cinema I found them all deathly dull at home for some reason.

I'm a huge, huge fan of Jackson's work on LotR, in particular the extended editions. But Del Toro is an interesting film maker and, like Jackson, a geek at heart. Can't wait. Actually, I can wait but I'm still very interested.

Well it looks like it has been confirmed.

During the premier of "The Orphanage" in France, director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) has confirmed that he will take on the helming duties for the upcoming two "Hobbit" films. Up until now, it has been reported that del Toro was only in talks to direct.

The video is in Spanish and French, but the exact thing that del Toro agreed to was when the following was said: "Today is a big day, because we are announcing what everyone wanted to hear, which is that he will be directing 'The Hobbit.'"

Principal photography for the films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for 2009. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per film. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.

"Hobbit," which Tolkien initially wrote for his children, was published in the UK in 1937 to wide acclaim. It centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug. Tolkien went on to write "The Lord of the Rings" 17 years later.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?...412&count=0

why does it take two movies to do the hobbit?, surely you should be able to nail it in one 3 hour movie?

is it gonna be like

the hobbit: there

&

the hobbit 2: back again

Well the first would be have to be totally based on the initial part of the trip by Bilbo and the dwarves, ending with Bilbo finding the ring and the whole Mirkwood incident and the second would be the quest to the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of the Five Armies.

Should be a brilliant. brilliant thing onscreen as long as Del Toro is allowed to use his imagination and film-making ability when it comes to Riddles in the Dark, Mirkwood, the rescue from the Giant Spiders, the shapeshifter Beorn, Smaug and destruction of Lake Town and the battle with the Goblin army without being hindered by Jackson and Weta's already brilliantly realised Middle Earth.

I think one 3 hour movie would just about do this justice but two 2 hour movies will have it realised brilliantly.

Oh and I hope they get Ian Holm and Sir Ian McKellen in their respective roles with John Rhys Davies as Thorin. That would be amazing.

Well the first would be have to be totally based on the initial part of the trip by Bilbo and the dwarves, ending with Bilbo finding the ring and the whole Mirkwood incident and the second would be the quest to the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of the Five Armies.

I saw a stage play adaptation of The Hobbit in 1999 (at the Birmingham Alexandra), and that fit into about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, with the spiders the only significant omission I can remember. So assuming that the pace of the film will be similar to that play, I think it could be done pretty comprehensively within one 3 hour film.

But of course at the moment it's unclear whether it'll be a clear split with The Hobbit in one film and All The Other Stuff in the other, or if the structure will be a bit more complex than that.

Oh and I hope they get Ian Holm and Sir Ian McKellen in their respective roles with John Rhys Davies as Thorin. That would be amazing.

John Rhys Davies as Gimli, Treebeard AND Thorin? :unsure:

Or maybe this could be Bill Bailey's second chance... :o

John Rhys Davies as Gimli, Treebeard AND Thorin? :unsure:

Fuck yeah. JRD's delivery was pure thesp in the other films and imo he'd be the only person able to give Thorin the right treatment.

Well him or Brian Blessed :o

BB would make a good Balin or Bombur though.