rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Hobbit Trilogy

Peter Jackson to Return for The Hobbit?

Source: Los Angeles Times, Stuff.co.nz

August 10, 2007

New Line Cinema has given "The Lord of the Rings" fans, who want to see director Peter Jackson return for The Hobbit, some hope. Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, studio founder Bob Shaye commented on the matter:

Eager to move ahead with "The Hobbit," New Line has quietly been trying to mend fences with "Rings" filmmaker Peter Jackson, who has sued the company over his share of profits from the first "Rings" films. When asked if it was true that company insiders had been in talks with Jackson's reps, Shaye replied, "Yes, that's a fair statement. Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way in 'The Hobbit.'"

According to Stuff.co.nz, Ian McKellen also said there was no doubt that a rumored reprisal of his Gandalf role in a film version of The Hobbit would be discussed with Jackson and [Fran] Walsh.

The site contacted Jackson's spokesman, who added: "Peter and Fran have always wanted to 'The Hobbit' but whether that happens is yet to be decided."

The Hobbit was my introduction to Middle Earth, before I even heard of LotR. We did it in school and I loved it. These morsels of hope about Jackson being back better not come to nothing.

It would be daft not to do it with Jackson.

Agreed, I just hope his schedule isnt too packed with the Tintin trilogy and he can actually find time to make the film (or films if they decide to split it over several movies).

I thought Spielberg was doing Tintin.

Nope, Jackson and Spielberg are working together on the trilogy and are directing a film each (whether they get a third director in is unknown at the moment, but if they did I bet it would be Robert Zemeckis). Its being shot in a similar way to Polar Express and will be in complete 3D while retaining the look of the comics. WETA are handling all of the visual work so I would imagine the project is going to be huge for them. Plus Jackson is also producing the Dam Busters remake and also the Halo movie if it ever gets off the ground (which Im sure it will after the release of Halo 3).

As you can see his schedule is pretty packed at the moment, but if he was offered the Hobbit I bet he would make time for it :(

Take this with a massive pinch of salt but there is a rumour that Jackson will direct the Hobbit in 3D and split it into two films.

Ok folks - this is hot off my sources and they are the ones who provided the Avatar Ney'tiri image so it is pretty darn reliable:

Peter Jackson will indeed DIRECT "The Hobbit"! This is my second source telling me this. You can be 100% SURE that this is happening. The story will be split into two separate movies as was previously thought with the second relating much more to "Lord of the Rings" than the first.

Wait, as if that wasn't enough: Here is the kicker people: "The Hobbit" will be in 3D. Yes. You heard it on MarketSaw first - both Hobbit movies will be shot in 3D. FURTHER, New Line and Peter Jackson then intend on converting the Lord of the Rings trilogy into 3D as well and re-releasing them in theaters between 2012 and 2014! How is that for big news??Awesome stuff!!

Of course this is exclusive news and has not been announced by New Line or Peter Jackson yet. If my sources are 100% correct (and I have plenty of trust in them, believe me) then we are going to see an announcement relatively soon as "The Hobbit" is not a trivial project to be sure and needs to get ramped up!

Just what does this mean for the 3D movie industry? It means total validation. It underscores that if you are going to do a huge motion picture from today on, it had better be in 3D. George Lucas is still intending on converting his entire stable of Star Wars films into 3D too. The validation is huge for the movie industry as a whole and for the theater customers! Lets just hope that my sources are bang on as they usually are.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2007/11/hot-...-will-helm.html

It could be somebody putting two and two together and making five but some of it makes sense. Jackson is a big fan of the new 3D technology (he is using it on Tintin for example) and the source material could stretch to two films.

Redoing LotR in 3D?

I don't really see the point.

Depending on how they do it, The Hobbit in 3D makes a hell of a lot of sense. They could make Smaug looks absolutely terrifying. They'd be able to get some real detail on the Dwarves, the Trolls and the Forest Elves too.

You just have to hope it doesn't come out looking like WoW.

WWWWRRRROOOOONNNNNGGGGG

See Beowulf in 3D then tell me it sucks

Beowulf's in 3D? OK I'll check it out.

I went to the iMax at the science museum to see something about sharks last week and it made me dizzy. Good in parts but plenty of fuzzy bits.

WWWWRRRROOOOONNNNNGGGGG

See Beowulf in 3D then tell me it sucks

Well, it's not a particularly good film, but the 3D stuff works well. It's really just a gimmick though. It's a great way for the cinema to offer something that you currently can't get at home, but if loads of films are specifically shot to make use of it, I fear they'll resort to cheap 3D tricks and will seem weird when watched on DVD etc. "Why is he holding that spear directly at the screen for so long?"

Well, it's not a particularly good film, but the 3D stuff works well.

If it was actual 3D rather than putting on those bloody glasses like they've been doing since the 40's then that's be good.

Trouble with 3D specs is they make everything look like a diorama.

If it was actual 3D rather than putting on those bloody glasses like they've been doing since the 40's then that's be good.

But short of having actual people dancing about on a stange, you can't have '3D'.

We'll see. I'm not against it as such but I, like many others, am propbably going to take some convincing.

I saw some 3d hologram stuff at a Japanese museum once and it was really good. Real little people running around this village.

It was behind glass in a little cabinet. Long way to go before it's up for your average episode of Eastenders, but it's definitely coming one day. Along with hover boots.

The Hobbit has been greenlit! :P And yes, it's two films.

The bad news is that at the moment it seems that Peter Jackson's only executive producer, not director. But at least he's involved - which is better than it seemed a few months ago.

Here's the press release from The Hobbit Blog. The only thing that concerns me is that the site doesn't really seem much like an official movie site - none of the usual copyright indicia at the bottom - so for a moment I had a terrible feeling that it could just be an elaborate hoax... but on the other hand Empire said "the press release has arrived in our inbox", and Joblo say that they got an early sneak peek at it as well, so hopefully it is legit...

PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT”

December 18, 2007

ACADEMY AWARD-WINNER PETER JACKSON AND

NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM

TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT,”

EAGERLY-ANTICIPATED FANTASY ADVENTURE EPIC

NEW LINE AND MGM TO CO-PRODUCE AND

SHARE WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS

PETER JACKSON AND FRAN WALSH TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE TWO FILMS BASED ON “THE HOBBIT”

Los Angeles, CA (Tuesday, December 18, 2007) Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on “The Hobbit.” New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the “Lord of the Rings” (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, “I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey.”

“Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making ‘The Hobbit,’” said Sloan, MGM’s Chairman and CEO. “Now that we are all in agreement on ‘The Hobbit,’ we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film.”

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, “We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with ‘The Hobbit’ movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy.”

“Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with ‘The Lord of the Rings,’” notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. “We’re delighted he’s back for ‘The Hobbit’ films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord.”

The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

In other news, Andy Serkis has been cast in the Jackson/Spielberg Tintin movies - apparently playing Captain Haddock. :P Hope the filming doesn't clash!

aw balls, i just started a topic on this cos i missed the thread and my search isn't working. ah well, i guess the mods can delete it. fucking amazing news though. i just hope they stay as true to the book as possible this time.