Goose

The Hobbit Trilogy

Well the first would be have to be totally based on the initial part of the trip by Bilbo and the dwarves, ending with Bilbo finding the ring and the whole Mirkwood incident and the second would be the quest to the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of the Five Armies.

No. Like lordcookie said a few posts up, the second film is set between The Hobbit and LOTR, based on Tokien's appendices. The Hobbit itself will be a single film. It's not like it's a very big book!

are they still making this new LOTR thing then? the one that takes place after the hobbit and before lotr?

That would be one of the two movies mentioned.

I thik Del Toro job will be easier as there is already environment and characters and WETA there to use for film making. So all he have to do is to find right characters, right actors, and special effects and sound and then make it work with Hobbit storyline.

I don't think he will want to make it very different to LOTR trilogy.

What I find funny is that before when there were rumours that Jackson wouldnt be directing everyone was up in arms about it saying that Jackson was the only person who should be directing the Hobbit, then after it was announced that Del Toro would be taking over the reigns people were perfectly happy with it, some more so than if Jackson would have directed :lol:

Personally I am excited about Del Toro directing, but I just hope he doesnt inject too much humour into the film like in Hellboy as it will be very out of place in a hobbit film (balancing the humour was one of the many things Jackson nailed in tLotR). Looking at Del Toros other films like Chronos or Pan's Labyrinth neither had much humour at all and at many points were rather bleak, I just hope that with this he can get the balance right.

Well the first would be have to be totally based on the initial part of the trip by Bilbo and the dwarves, ending with Bilbo finding the ring and the whole Mirkwood incident and the second would be the quest to the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of the Five Armies.

It'll be that, or the second film'll follow Gandalf's travels looking for the Seven, and the battle which pushed the necromancer out of Mirkwood.

Hellboy in the comics had humor in so you can't blame Del Toro for that, if anything its going to feel that much bleak and depressing tone which is only a good thing.

Latest news...

Entertainment Weekly chatted with director Guillermo Del Toro about the upcoming "The Hobbit" prequels, finding out that nothing has been signed yet, but things could get rolling before the summer.

"There have been a lot of discussions of cast and crew, agreements on the direction the movies would go, and if and when I come on board. But other than that, frankly it's all immaterial until everything is signed and put on paper," explained Del Toro.

He added that the folding of New Line Cinema into Warner Bros has not had a huge impact on the movies. What's slowing everything down, is the fact that the prequels are so massive and require "a half-a-decade commitment."

Finally, Del Toro mentioned that certain parts have already been dealt with; he, along with the original team (Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens) will be involved on the projects and the script.

More updates

http://www.worstpreviews.com/index.php

Director Guillermo Del Toro posted an update about "The Hobbit" movies on the official "Hellboy 2" message boards [via ComingSoon]. When he saw that fans were wildly guessing about the progress of the films, he jumped in by saying:

"Whew- Not yet. BUT there has been a lot of movement. And for the last few weeks there has been a lot of creative / cast / crew / visual talks and agreements and we have witnessed great progress in areas that I cannot disclose or that have already leaked from other sources.

I am dying to share news but I have to be patient and wait until the papers are done and my attachment is real. Nevertheless- a LOT of progress in defining the films, their cast and crew. And, may I add, we are all happily in synch about all creative aspects so far and all willing and eager to move forth.

I cannot say more but if all´s well the time will come To talk of many things: Of shoes -- and ships -- and sealing wax -- Of cabbages -- and kings --

May Luck be with us

GDT

PD my silence means nothing more than the fact that we are RUNNING against an impossible deadline on the HBII film, poster, campaign, ADR, VFX, etc I am SWAMPED.

BUT- Expect good things in the next 2 weeks and a nice item at COMICON. See you there-"

I really like Del Toro.

I saw an interview with him on that BBC4 fantasy literature programme and was quite impressed with his wit and intellect.

I really like Del Toro.

I saw an interview with him on that BBC4 fantasy literature programme and was quite impressed with his wit and intellect.

SM, if you don't have a 5-disc version of Blade Runner already and would like a little more, it is worth viewing the 'Dangerous Days' disc and other supplementary materials. For me, both in terms of Blade Runner and films generally, he is one of two or three people either on those discs or 'out there' to get it - notably, that a story can be open to interpretation.

One of the things that has always had me feel a little down and one that I have seen too much of on-line is that of the tiresome and impossible search for 'the right answer' (whether that be aimed at film, a book, music or a poem). It's probably a good moment to add arguments about 'Movie Science' into this, too! I try to forget those threads! Unsuccessfully... ;) Back to some sort of point that I may or may not have been making, whether it's Animal Farm, Blade Runner or 1984, a film, book or animated version, I have always extracted meaning or understanding depending on that moment and where applicable, variably with and without the original source material in mind. It may be my own mood or a new observation or discovery. It may be that I view or read with a different viewpoint (e.g. that I am witness to an allegory) or that I have a new interpretation of events or the information portrayed before me; but it won't be wrong (or doesn't have to be!), it'll be different, an alternative to earlier thoughts and experience. It keeps it interesting and, er...

Del Toro, yeah!

It'll be that, or the second film'll follow Gandalf's travels looking for the Seven, and the battle which pushed the necromancer out of Mirkwood.

Of course, forgot about that! Although it was only alluded to in the book, Games Workshop have made an expansion based on it and beefed the story nicely (albeit the necromancer is Sauron <_< ) so it's a definite possibility. That would be amazing seeing Gandalf and Saruman fighting alongside Elrond against hordes of undead things.

I don't think he will want to make it very different to LOTR trilogy.

Man, I hope he does. The LoTR films were as dull as James Blunt and twice as humourless.

Of course, forgot about that! Although it was only alluded to in the book, Games Workshop have made an expansion based on it and beefed the story nicely (albeit the necromancer is Sauron <_< ) so it's a definite possibility.

Eh? I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but the Necromancer being Sauron isn't something they've changed for that expansion: it's directly stated in the LOTR book.

However, as much as I love the books and films, Sauron in LOTR never quite lived up the idea of the Necromancer implied by his brief mention in The Hobbit. Compared to what my imagination conjured up when I first read the hints at what he did to Thorin's (grand?)father, the "Lidless Eye" of LOTR couldn't really compete!

On the other hand, Melkor in The Silmarillion (who's basically Sauron's boss) takes a very hands-on role in that story. :huh:

Link...

NYCC 08: Del Toro Says Decision on “The Hobbit” Coming Soon

At the New York Comic Con, director Gullermo Del Toro said that an answer to his involvment in The Hobbit prequel films will soon be revealed. Del Toro says a definitive answer would be coming in the next four or five days.

Del Toro elborated that meetings about music, casting and visual style have already taken place, and added that if he was hired he would be doing both prequels and that he would be using his own style rather than adhering to anything set in the Lord of the Rings films.

You can check out an interview with the director here.

Source: IGN

Man, I hope he does. The LoTR films were as dull as James Blunt and twice as humourless.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but the LOTR films seem to have gone in the past few years from being critically adored, movie fan favourites, to being seen as shit.

When did this particular fashion change happen?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but the LOTR films seem to have gone in the past few years from being critically adored, movie fan favourites, to being seen as shit.

When did this particular fashion change happen?

Nothing's changed. One forum post doesn't constitute a fashion change. ;)

Some people have never liked the films, and never will. Most people loved them though, myself included.