ntsc wii's - 3 days and counting

since I've pretty much got everything all squared away for everyone on my wii system list, so I thought I'd do something to relieve the stress and help pass the time. that's right, wait in line overnight in the freezing rain and snow for a PS3!

proving yet again that we gamers are a devout bunch (or at times, rather thick-headed), a few mates and myself will start queueing in about 7 hrs. unfortunately, the weather here in michigan has gone from unpleasant to sucking something fierce with a 10 degree temperature drop, driving winds and rain which will turn to sleet and snow later this evening (oh, what fun! :huh:

wish me luck and that I don't become so deathly ill that I won't be able to pick up the wii systems on sunday morning :lol: seriously, I think it should be ok once we've reached the allowable limit of people guaranteed to get a system (as long as I'm one of those!). and everything is in place: new ipod nano (fully charged) - check, ds lite (fully charged w/ a good selection of wi-fi'able games) - check, winter gear - check, jakki degg (strictly for moral support) - ch... damn it! pootle uk, where's that overnight package you promised me!?!

I'll post results tomorrow.

since I've pretty much got everything all squared away for everyone on my wii system list, so I thought I'd do something to relieve the stress and help pass the time. that's right, wait in line overnight in the freezing rain and snow for a PS3!

proving yet again that we gamers are a devout bunch (or at times, rather thick-headed), a few mates and myself will start queueing in about 7 hrs. unfortunately, the weather here in michigan has gone from unpleasant to sucking something fierce with a 10 degree temperature drop, driving winds and rain which will turn to sleet and snow later this evening (oh, what fun! :(

wish me luck and that I don't become so deathly ill that I won't be able to pick up the wii systems on sunday morning :( seriously, I think it should be ok once we've reached the allowable limit of people guaranteed to get a system (as long as I'm one of those!). and everything is in place: new ipod nano (fully charged) - check, ds lite (fully charged w/ a good selection of wi-fi'able games) - check, winter gear - check, jakki degg (strictly for moral support) - ch... damn it! pootle uk, where's that overnight package you promised me!?!

I'll post results tomorrow.

:( Awesome. But you're quite mad.

I found an indy store which would do me a pre order guaranteed for Monday, but my choices currently are:

1. Go to Universal City walk on Saturday night where they're having a party & stuff before a midnight opening. I hear that EB stores are getting a fixed allocation except this one which will get ALL the spares. It's tempting ...

2. Saunter down to Target Sunday morning, which is about a two mile walk, and risk them not selling out.

On either occasion if I see anyone in front of my buying 10 I cannot be held respnsible for my actions :( You must have very thick skin.

start queueing in about 7 hrs. unfortunately, the weather here in michigan has gone from unpleasant to sucking something fierce with a 10 degree temperature drop, driving winds and rain which will turn to sleet and snow later this evening (oh, what fun! :(

Oh my God :( . Don't forget your thermals. And your waterproofs. And coffee. And a drop of something a bit stronger :( .

wish me luck

Good fucking luck :( . Hope you get one.

Is it too late to pre-order an import Wii?

I don't mean from you, but in general. I haven't really put much effort into getting one yet and I've probably left it faaaar too late, has supply dried up or are websites still taking orders and expecting to get them out on release day?

what a fucking nightmare. what started out with approximately 7-8 of us at 3pm grew into a group of 400+ by 9:30pm (which is also when the rain started turning into sleet and a bit of snow). the local police was there in force with 7 cars, 1 suv and 1 van (one person was hauled away in handcuffs).

due to the number of people and safety issues, the police and the store decided that it was in their best interests to hold a raffle for the 32 spots in line (winning the raffle only got you a position in line, you still had to wait their, overnight, in the cold in order to purchase a system this morning).

I wasn't one of the fortune ones, however I did manage to snap a few pictures of the chaos with my crappy razor.

11-16-06_2150.jpg

11-16-06_2151.jpg

11-16-06_2155.jpg

and remember, this entire crowd was vying for 32 systems!!

what a fucking nightmare. what started out with approximately 7-8 of us at 3pm grew into a group of 400+ by 9:30pm (which is also when the rain started turning into sleet and a bit of snow). the local police was there in force with 7 cars, 1 suv and 1 van (one person was hauled away in handcuffs).

due to the number of people and safety issues, the police and the store decided that it was in their best interests to hold a raffle for the 32 spots in line (winning the raffle only got you a position in line, you still had to wait their, overnight, in the cold in order to purchase a system this morning).

I wasn't one of the fortune ones, however I did manage to snap a few pictures of the chaos with my crappy razor.

11-16-06_2150.jpg

11-16-06_2151.jpg

11-16-06_2155.jpg

and remember, this entire crowd was vying for 32 systems!!

How would you have been able to get one today? :D This is still the Wii, right?

In an article in USA Today it doesn't even make the top 10 most wanted today (PS3 is third).

How about putting up top 10 wanted today so we can have a look at laugh at the yanks. :wub:

I'd probably be offended by that if I was American. You do realise that JM Ratkos is American? Have a laugh at him, why not?

I've just thought about this. For 32 systems police were needed and a store needed to employ people to work at midnight? Isn't that a bit mental? If it was my shop I wouldn't be bothering with all the hassle of it.

I'd probably be offended by that if I was American. You do realise that JM Ratkos is American? Have a laugh at him, why not?

I've just thought about this. For 32 systems police were needed and a store needed to employ people to work at midnight? Isn't that a bit mental? If it was my shop I wouldn't be bothering with all the hassle of it.

For the sake of this many units, wouldn't it be cheaper to ask the pre-order customers who wanted their at midnight? Then, just send a guy round in a small van to hand deliver them to their homes around midnight. The rest can just come in during normal business hours without any fuss.

This sort of hysteria only really serves the console producers' marketing effort with free (to the console producer) publicity.