rllmuk

Does no one here have a PS3 then?

Clocked resistance yersterday.

It's quite good fun but ultimately it's just a pastiche of recent fps games. By the end it just chucks enemies at you while you destroy the power rods in the alien base: de ja-motherfucking-vu

It manages to be reasonably creepy in places and the weapons are quite imaginative, which makes up for it a bit though.

Even though the graphics are a bit crude in places resistance, combined with rr7 and the motorstorm demo, does make me think the ps3 games have a general 'look' that's quite nice.

We got some US games at work and ive been playing them our test kit. Overall it feels a year behind the 360. I did a direct comparisonsbetween COD3 on ps3 and 360 amd the ps3 version only ran at 30fps compared to 60 on the 360 and some finer details were lacking. Resistance looks likre a 3 year old pc game although the framerate was ok.

Looking forward to motorstorm though, seems like the first true ps3 game.

I've heard that COD3 is a bit rubbish on the PS3 compared to the 360 version - they did code the PS3 version in less than 7 months! Which will be part of the reson it's a not as good.

The real problem is that the ps3 is such a primadona, everything needs to be coded perfectly and multithreaded right. The 360 in comparison is much more like the pc and can just handle anything you chuck at it.

That contradicts what one of the PGR 3 programmers said in an Edge interview around the time of the 360 launch. He said that you would probably get worse performance than the original Xbox if you didn't use multithreading properly.

The real problem is that the ps3 is such a primadona, everything needs to be coded perfectly and multithreaded right. The 360 in comparison is much more like the pc and can just handle anything you chuck at it.

Not really; both use in-order multicore CPUs, which is a far cry from what games developers are used to addressing confidently at the hardware level- look at the PS2, it only really had a CPU, a GPU and a couple of co-processors, and even then only a minority of developers full exploited it,

AFAIK Even the latest Athlon and Intel CPUs are at least out-of-order chips, and they have to be addressed through an API anyway, which means a lot less delving into the hardware to compete with other coders.

I think both Sony and MS are going to have a hard time getting developers to harvest the power available; it'll come down to middleware and effective developer support for the bigger titles I think.

Not really; both use in-order multicore CPUs, which is a far cry from what games developers are used to addressing confidently at the hardware level- look at the PS2, it only really had a CPU, a GPU and a couple of co-processors, and even then only a minority of developers full exploited it,

AFAIK Even the latest Athlon and Intel CPUs are at least out-of-order chips, and they have to be addressed through an API anyway, which means a lot less delving into the hardware to compete with other coders.

I think both Sony and MS are going to have a hard time getting developers to harvest the power available; it'll come down to middleware and effective developer support for the bigger titles I think.

I think the 360 is a bit less crtical than the ps3 though. I remember someone from Ubi saying that the 360 version of creed would have more advanced AI than the PS3 version, they didn't say why but I assume it is because it easier to do branching code on the 360.

The ps3 has more ultimate oomph though -- the phyics in motorstorm are really very impressive. Perhaps the two consoles will be more suited to different types of games?

I doubt Assassin's Creed will get that much of an AI boost on 360; and it's more likely the improvement is down to the game being developed on 360 far longer than PS3.

But fundementally, the PS3 should out-perform the 360 to a noticeable degree, if IBM, nVidea and Sony provide good tools. Whether they can or not is a big question.

Fair enough, time is a big factor and everyone has had a lot more of it with the 360. Is there much difference in terms of the GPU power between the two? I didn't think there was.

I thought the 360 had a better standalone GPU, and the PS3 had better other bits - so they should be fairly equal overall. I think it was a tomshardware analysis or something similarly dry.

I think the 360 is a bit less crtical than the ps3 though. I remember someone from Ubi saying that the 360 version of creed would have more advanced AI than the PS3 version, they didn't say why but I assume it is because it easier to do branching code on the 360.

That was supposedly a misquote and what they meant was that it was easier to implement the AI in the 360 version.