The official RLLMUK Wii FAQ

Dandy_Sephy

Sat here eating brekkie in NYC (& gloating!), I was wondering if it is worth my while picking any Wii bits up to go with my PAL console.

Will the controllers work? Only they've got loads of controllers, nunchucks and Classic controllers lying around in shops near here.

Still on the look out for component cables though :(

Controllers will work US<->UK apparently.

A question for the guys with a wii. If you have mii's from your friends, can you send messages to each other? how many mii's of your own can you have on your own console. On the wii I hope to get, me and me four brothers will want to have our own mii's,so will this be possible? And lastly, has anyone gone online with the wii with the ds dongle? does it work?

I'm using the DS Wifi dongle with the Wii and it all works without a problem, have found I had to deactivate my norton firewall before it could work though...

Can the wii be moved about or does it have to be reset because of its senser bar?

Im only asking this as I will be playing my wii in my room but if I want to play multi player I would proberly move it to the living room.

The Wii just provides a current for the sensor bar. There isn't any sort of dependacy between the two.

Moving your Wii to another room just means you move the sensor bar with it. There isn't any calibration to knock-out by doing this (unless you switch from having the sensor bar from above the TV, to below it, or vice-versa. In that case, it's a one-button change in the system menu).

giant_frying_pan

Controllers will work US<->UK apparently.

Coolio, that's me buying an extra nunchuk & classic controller.

I've been going in every toy / games shop I can see and everything wii-related is decimated (apart from some games and a commonplace backpack of all things).

I'm guessing there's no real LAN connectivity or functionality is there? e.g. We can't browse photos on a shared drive?

There's nothing like that, no. Would be nice.

Can wii save GC game saves to the internal memory or do wii need a GC memory card?

You need a GC memory card.

When it's powered down? What port is that running on?

I think the Wii checks a server periodically to see if there are any new messages. I don't think there will be any ports open on it as such. Remember, the thing has got to work behind NAT firewalls without needing ports forwarded and so on - it doesn't run listeners/servers that you are looking for.

You missed the whole "the drive lights up if you get a message while it's on standby"? Orange light means it's on WiiConnect, red light means it's powered down completely.

I did - that is very cool. I tried to add my own gmail account and associate it with my Wii, then mail back but I didn't get anything. What am I looking for when it works?

I think the Wii checks a server periodically to see if there are any new messages. I don't think there will be any ports open on it as such. Remember, the thing has got to work behind NAT firewalls without needing ports forwarded and so on - it doesn't run listeners/servers that you are looking for.

Ah right - that makes sense

I got a registration email to my gmail account. Sending emails to the address it came from makes them go to my Wii.

"An owner of a Wii Console is asking permission

to register you as a Wii Friend to exchange

e-mail with you. This individual's Wii e-mail address is

milkoswiimailaddress@wii.com "

I've just updated the firmware and I can't connect to the shopping channel or use connect24. I get a "wiiconnect24 and the shopping channel are not currently being offered" message. My console isn't fluffed is it?

[edit] Hang on, i've got my country set to Albania...