Wachowski Brothers' Speed Racer

The Hollywood Reporter has announced that actor Emile Hirsch, who last starred in the crime drama Alpha Dog, is in talks to play the title role of Speed Racer in the live-action version of the animated series to be helmed by Larry and Andy Wachowski.

Based on the classic '60s series, created by anime pioneer Tatsuo Yoshida and reworked for North American audiences, Speed Racer follows the adventures of young race car driver Speed in his gadget-equipped race car, the Mach 5. The Wachowski's movie will feature other characters from the show, including Speed's family and his mysterious arch-rival, Racer X.

Plans are for the film to start shooting in Germany in the summer for a planned release by Warner Bros. on May 9, 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

Christina Ricci has been set to star opposite Emile Hirsch in Warner Bros. Pictures' and Village Roadshow Pictures' new action adventure Speed Racer. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Ricci will play Trixie, Speed's loyal and courageous girlfriend, who also proves to be a formidable ally both on and off the racetrack.

In making the announcement, Robinov stated, "Christina Ricci is a young actress of extraordinary range, who has become a favorite of both critics and audiences in a wide variety of movies, from mainstream features to acclaimed indie films. She is an amazing talent and we think she is going to do a great job with the role of Trixie."

Christina Ricci recently received widespread praise for her performance in the controversial drama Black Snake Moan. She also earned an Emmy Award nomination for her guest role on the hit series "Grey's Anatomy." She next stars in the title role of the fantasy drama Penelope. Earlier in her career, she garnered Golden Globe and Independent Spirit Award nominations and won a National Board of Review Award for her work in The Opposite of Sex. Ricci's long list of film credits also includes Monster, Anything Else, Sleepy Hollow, The Ice Storm and The Addams Family, to name only a few.

Slated to be released on May 9, 2008, Speed Racer also stars John Goodman and Susan Sarandon as Speed's devoted parents. The film is being written and directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, marking the brothers' first writing/directing collaboration since the "Matrix" movies. Joel Silver, who previously worked with the Wachowskis on both the "Matrix" movies and V For Vendetta, is producing the film under his Silver Pictures banner.

Based on the classic series created by anime pioneer Tatsuo Yoshida, the live-action Speed Racer will follow the adventures of the young race car driver Speed in his quest for glory on and off the track in his thundering Mach 5. In addition to Speed and Trixie, the movie will feature other characters that fans of the show will remember, including Speed's family and his mysterious arch-rival, Racer X. The new high-octane actioner will showcase the kind of revolutionary visual effects and cutting-edge storytelling that have become the benchmarks of the Wachowski brothers' films, taking Speed Racer into the 21st century.

Speed Racer. is a Warner Bros. Pictures presentation, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, of a Silver Pictures Production.

To see a video interview with Christina Ricci talking about being cast in the role of Trixie in Speed Racer, go to SpeedRacerthemovie.com.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...aa4cf5cb1c856ad

Larry and Andy Wachowski have added another two passengers to their "Speed Racer" vehicle. Matthew Fox is in final negotiations to play Racer X in the live-action update of the 1960s cartoon for Warner Bros. Pictures and producer Joel Silver.

In addition, Aussie actor Kick Gurry is in negotiations to play Sparky, Speed's hippie mechanic.

Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci, Susan Sarandon and John Goodman already are on board the film, which will shoot in the summer in Berlin. "Speed" centers on a young race car driver, Speed (Hirsch), and his quest for glory in his thundering, gadget-laden Mach 5. Fox will play Speed's mysterious racing rival, an enigmatic soldier of fortune.

The "Lost" star will fit "Speed Racer" in around the series' summer hiatus.

The Wachowskis are writing and directing, with the studio eyeing a summer 2008 bow.

Advertisement

The film, which is based on the anime series created by Tatsuo Yoshida, will be a Warners presentation in association with Village Roadshow Pictures of a Silver Pictures production.

Fox, whose most recent feature was Warners' "We Are Marshall," next appears in Columbia Pictures' thriller "Vantage Point." He is repped by ICM, Management 360 and attorney Craig Jacobson.

Kick's credits include Alex Proyas' "Garage Days" and the Weinstein Co.'s "Daltry Calhoun." He is repped by WMA and Robert Stein Management.

• 1 month later...

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?...136&count=0

Emile Hirsch and producer Joel Silver spoke to USA Today about "Speed Racer" and provided a first look at the Mach 5.

The film, Silver says, will have a "retro future" look and will center on Speed (Hirsch) trying to make a name for himself in the racing world despite the efforts of corporate giants to foil his career. The film also stars Christina Ricci as girlfriend Trixie and Matthew Fox as Speed's older brother, Racer X.

Unlike those darker movies, Racer "is going to be very bright, very family-friendly," Silver says. "And it will have great effects like The Matrix, just with the car." A car that will not see much time on pavement. The Mach 5 will be placed on a crane and most effects will be computer-generated.

One real effect, though: Chim Chim. "They're using a real monkey," Hirsch says.

Filming of the heart of the project is set to begin next week in Germany, with the theatrical release date set for May 9th, 2008.

speedracer1.jpg

matrix one seems great in your mind, but go back and watch it again and you will find a mess of a film. Sloppy plodding dialogue, a hackneyed sci-fi plot and piss poor acting, but with some mouth watering special effects.

BAH!

I bloody love that movie.

matrix one seems great in your mind, but go back and watch it again and you will find a mess of a film. Sloppy plodding dialogue, a hackneyed sci-fi plot and piss poor acting, but with some mouth watering special effects.

3 months later, have you realised how wrong you were?

o/ \o

I kinda said that the first time I watched it, so I'm not quite the same. Still, hi-five.

Sounds like a clear case of "eveyone likes it so I'll slag it off" to me. The first Matrix film is ace. You get a really good feeling of something building, and considering it's a very mainstream blockbuster it gets the mind-bending concept over really well. It's not perfect, but what is!

Sounds like a clear case of "eveyone likes it so I'll slag it off" to me. The first Matrix film is ace. You get a really good feeling of something building, and considering it's a very mainstream blockbuster it gets the mind-bending concept over really well. It's not perfect, but what is!

I don't want to derail this thread further, but I'll make a reply.

I really wanted to like the Matrix from the moment I heard about its coming. It all sounded so good, I was excited to get to the cinema and watch it. Sadly as the film panned out, I just got so bored and well cringy in my seat, I couldn't listen to Keanu talk without my ears twisting. Then I fell asleep on some guys shoulder.

I put the experience down to maybe me being tired and watched it again, this time all the way through. Still the same old rubbish that it was the first time round.

I know people love it, and I've had many lectures from my mates about it, but I don't, it just comes across as fanboy childish wank; a poor execution of a great idea.

Agreed. I also like Reloaded :(

Revolutions not so much, even if the main action sequence is great.

• 5 months later...

All quiet on the Speed Racer front for a while but here's a bit of news - foregone conclusion to some degree really given who's shooting the film -

Source: Empire Online

November 23, 2007

It looks like the Wachowski brothers ("The Matrix" trilogy) are filming their Speed Racer adaptation with all green screen sets. Empire Online talked to star Emile Hirsch, who broke the news:

"Nope, it's all green screen," Hirsch told us. "There were no sets, just us and the green background. I haven't seen anything of it finished yet, there was a lot of trust [in the Wachowskis] involved. It's going to be crazy. Was the monkey real? Yes."

The Warner Bros. release, hitting theaters on May 9, also stars Christina Ricci, Matthew Fox, Susan Sarandon, John Goodman, Kick Gurry, Paulie Litt, Roger Allam, Ji Hoon Jung, Melvil Poupaud, Richard Roundtree and Christian Oliver.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who can never get Moviefone trailers to work here is another version:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/12/06/speed-...-movie-trailer/

I know they are going for a heavily stylised look but the effects look really rubbish (hopefully some non-Moviefone HD versions of the trailer will appear so I can check out a better quality vid) and Matthew Fox makes Ben Affleck look charismatic.

I thought that looked like a big steaming pile of poo (with lens flares added to make it spangly poo).

I guess they wanted to get away from dark and dirty worlds of their previous films. Well they've sure as hell managed that. What glimpses you got of any kind of plot seemed pretty mediocre too. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though as Bound and the first Matrix are both great films. I'm not holding up too much hope though.