July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

Links

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

Four Elements (old-skool videos)

http://www.hiphopgame.co.uk/audio.php

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

Recommended Internet TV shows

The Breakdown (Yo Mtv Raps mix of interviews and videos)

Classic Hip hop videos

Spinemagazines essential youtube video list

Blogs & Podcasts

Rhymesandbeats.com

Strawp's Props

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out In November

jjhhf.jpg

Jazzy Jeff Hip Hop Forever Vol 3

aztheformat.jpg

AZ - The Format

Videos

Masta Killa, ODB & Rza - Old Man

Check out RA on the grill.

Run DMC feat Pete rock & CL Smooth - Down With the King

Yo MTV Raps Last show Freestyle

ATCQ - Electric Relaxation

Trendz of Culture - Off and On

Das Efx - They Want Efx

Sabac Red - The Ritual DVD Trailer

Hip Hop News

Music stores across the country are refusing to stock Ice-T's new album as they feel the cover is too raunchy to be put up on display.

The album cover of 'Gangsta Rap', Ice-T's first studio album in seven years, shows the rapper/actor posing nude with his stripper wife Coco.

The picture shows him lying on his back in bed with his wife's behind in full view, while one of her legs covers his private parts.

Ice T faces a boycott from stores unless his record label places stickers over the intimate images.

"What can I say, I have been doing these kinds of things for years. You should see the picture when Coco's leg is not there," the Daily Mail quoted him as saying. ;)

I don't know if anyone actually listened to my mix tape which I posted last month:

WallsEatingTreesFC1.png

Fingathing - Head To Head

DJ Format - Little Bit Of Soul

Mr. Scruff - Travelogue

Nightmares On Wax - (Cruise) Don’t Stop

Quantic - Trees And Seas

The Herbaliser - Song For Mary

Blockhead - You’ve Got Maelstrom

DJ Food - Turtle Soup (Wagon Christ Mix)

Aim - Pier 57

RJD2 - Cut Out To FL

Funki Porcini - Hyde Park

MF Doom & MF Grimm - The Original (Instrumental) (Rootscape Edit)

DJ Krush - Pretense

Bonobo - The Plug (Quantic Mix)

DJ Shadow - What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 3)

Right click here to download ...

It would be cool to hear some opinions, etc.

: )

Oh man, it's such a shame that that mix is the A side version, as it's simply dull. The B side M.O.L Mix of 'Off And On', however, I deem to be one of the most beautiful hip hop tracks of all time.

Compare them here...

'P-P-P-Props to the paper, P-P-P-Props to the pen'! What happened to Trends Of Culture anyway?

I must be backwards or something. ;) I have that 12" and always loved the album and Lord Finesse Freestylin' remix and thought the MOL mix was the least interesting. Having listened to your link I still do. Heavy Bass and Horn Stabs all day.

Oh Boozy. It really is one of the most uninspired mixes ever. Mind you, the M.O.L. version is the one I've danced with girls in clubs to the most, so that's where my heart is I guess. On my copy the two mixes you mentioned are practically unplayed, whereas the M.O.L mix is almost worn clean! I've always wondered if that mix wasn't the original, as their off and on timing flows better with that version too. Still, it's all in the ears I suppose! ;)

I don't know if anyone actually listened to my mix tape which I posted last month:

Didn't spot it last month, downloading it now though. Looks suitably downbeat for this time of year <_<

Managed to score a cheap copy of A Tribe Called Quests 'A Love Movement' lp the other day to help complete my Jay Dee back catalogue collection and, after initially hating this album on release, its aged VERY well imo. Its got that classic Jay Dee sound running right through it, well worth checking out.

Smokin__Suckaz_Wit_Logic_Playin__Foolz.jpg

from 1992/3

Smokin' Suckaz wit Logic is a hip-hop band from New York. The band formed in 1990 consisting of G "Suave" (also known as 'Rodan Tha Thinker), Darren "D-Smooth" Lolk (guitar), Money Mike (bass), Curtis "Mr." Watts (drums, keyboards, background vocals), Spank Dog (programming, scratches, background vocals), and Peter "Ajoe" Jorge (programming, background vocals). While still a group, they opened for Ziggy Marley and KRS-One. They released a single album, Playing' Foolz on the Epic Records label. The group's influences included hip-hop, alternative, funk, reggae, jazz, and metal. The band contributed the song "Cuz I'm Like Dat" to Street Fighter II: The Movie. Due to various creative differences within the group and many frustrations over their musical style, the band disbanded in 1994. Most of the members went on to pursue solo careers. Mr. Watts became a Producer and a solo artist, Suave became a Christian Rapper named Rodan Tha Thinker in a band called 'True 2 Life' with Ajoe and a DJ named Wrex, and D-Smooth went on to play Pete Townshend in The Who Show (A The Who Tribute band) and is now in a Chicano punk band called Viva Malpache.

1.Funk-A-Tac - 1:26

2.Thingz Change - 3:37

3.How We Hit 'Em - 4:25

4.Cuz I'm Like Dat - 4:35

5.B4 My Rhymez Thru - 4:04

6.My Man Spank Dog - 0:36

7.Playin' Foolz - 4:34

8.Suckaz Tri 2 Play Me - 4:17

9.Gangsta Story - 5:11

10.Positive Vibez - 4:07

11.He Can Save Your Soul - 4:58

12.Jah Sent - 4:40

13.Herbalife - 3:39

14.Uncle Tom Artist - 3:20

15.Mutha Made 'Em - 5:54

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/153557/Playin_Foolz.rar

Managed to score a cheap copy of A Tribe Called Quests 'A Love Movement' lp the other day to help complete my Jay Dee back catalogue collection and, after initially hating this album on release, its aged VERY well imo. Its got that classic Jay Dee sound running right through it, well worth checking out.

Bought that ages ago. Really enjoyed it to be fair although its quite far removed from their other stuff.

Loving your work Sham, thanks.

What, uploading albums that he's downloaded then copying and pasting its wikipedia entry? This threads turned to shit.

What, uploading albums that he's downloaded then copying and pasting its wikipedia entry? This threads turned to shit.

i bought the albums i upped, nothing downloaded, and there are more than me upping shit... it's a deleted album, so harming nobody is it?

zen82_front.jpg

Bought the Kid Koala album yesterday because it was my birthday; 'Some Of My Best Friends Are DJs'. I've actually had it on non-stop. It's amazing. I've only really heard a couple of his tracks before (Fender Bender and Drunk Trumpet or something), but the whole thing is ace. It's a perfect blend of sound effects, turntable work and jazz samples with the beats coming in at just the right moments. The glitchy style of the whole thing is wonderful. I'll definitely be checking out some more of his stuff now - and the thing came with a little comic book and a cut-out chess game.

I've also been listening to a lot of Ninja Tune stuff as well. The Funki Porcini album is a relatively new purchase that hasn't gotten old at all yet. I really am enjoying some of the old RJD2 and Aim tracks that I've been listening to as well. I think I'm starting to listen to that sort of hip-hop now more so than some of the more traditional hip-hop I've been listening to in past years. I guess thats why I haven't been contributing much to this thread. I'm still a massive fan though, don't get me wrong. I recently met some cool people at the Ghostface gig (which was good, but I was slightly disappointed overall to be honest - the GZA gig I went to completely overshadows it, although comparing them seems a little weak).

It was my birthday yesterday so I went to watch Mr. Scruff at the Concorde in town. He plays a six hour set the first Friday of every month so that was fun. I was completely fucked though. I ended up losing my mates until we got out but it was all good - got talking to some girl at the front who seemed amused at my drunkeness. Mr. Scruff rocks. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to start contributing more often to these threads. Lets get some really decent discussion going again like the old days.

: )

i bought the albums i upped, nothing downloaded, and there are more than me upping shit... it's a deleted album, so harming nobody is it?

Are you Yoda? :)

Personally I don't think upping whole albums should be allowed. A few tracks, fair enough. You should also have to give some sort of opinion on shit. I feel like all I do is moan on here, sad state of affairs...

Anyway, in regards to the only release worth worrying about for now, DJ IQ - Brainfood. I heard this album about a year back originally (it's been ready to go for a long old time) and I was blown away. Extremely accomplished production for such a young dude. Listening to it the past few days and he's tweaked a few little things and added a few extra layers here and there on tracks, which could actually do without being there. That aside, it's an awesome album. Not a bad track on it.

The All-star track is a who's who of UKHH, amazing. The Kashmere solo is nuts, as is the first single from it "Welcome to the Circus". Foreign Beggars and Syntax rip the bouncy, bassy ghetto circus theme tune. Great to finally hear Kaspa on a proper release too, more to come from this guy, got lyrics for days.

thats does sound good^

braintax then, never listened to any of his music, i see he has a new album out....but should i start with Biro Funk? as i heard thats also quality?

thats does sound good^

braintax then, never listened to any of his music, i see he has a new album out....but should i start with Biro Funk? as i heard thats also quality?

It doesn't matter too much, start with either. He actually comes across as an emcee much better on his new album, but the beats on Birofunk are slightly better. Get both, solid stuff.

Hmm... was checking out some mash-up hip-hop mix earlier today when I came across a nice sounding UK track that I have no name for. Would be really great if someone could identify it for me - it appears to be about child molestation but it's pretty funny. I cut a sample of it and upped it:

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Sounds like Beyond There, maybe? I don't recognise any of those voices but then again I can only name check a few UK artists based on voice. Anyway, if anyone knows I'd love to hear the full version.

Hmm... was checking out some mash-up hip-hop mix earlier today when I came across a nice sounding UK track that I have no name for. Would be really great if someone could identify it for me - it appears to be about child molestation but it's pretty funny. I cut a sample of it and upped it:

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Sounds like Beyond There, maybe? I don't recognise any of those voices but then again I can only name check a few UK artists based on voice. Anyway, if anyone knows I'd love to hear the full version.

Iron Bridge.