rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mindgames

Your Halloween Top 3

Depends what mood I'm in on the day but I will either go for a black and white night or an 80s alternative.

Black and White Halloween

Onibaba

Carnival of Souls

Eyes Without a Face

*goes to imdb*

I think it's going to have to be;

1. The Descent

2. The Thing

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street

I really am a big fan of the Elm Street films (I will watch 4 and 5 even if I don't like them) and it's a Halloween staple for me.

There's some slick choices going on in this thread. Hellraiser is an excellent selection! Prince of Darkness is also quite under-rated (I only saw it a couple of months ago for the first time since the trailer for it terrified me as a child). It's sampled on DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and before I'd seen the film, I thought the dialogue interspersed throughout the album was just 'cool' but it completely terrifies me now I know what it foreshadows.

The Empire website is doing its writers top 3 films for Halloween. So rather than discuss it in their shitty forum I thought we could do it in here!
  1. American Werewolf in London
    One of my top 3 films, funny, nasty and tits.
  2. Halloween 3
    Absolutely bonkers, not related to any of the other films either for some reason. And THAT TV advert...shudder
  3. Ringu
    Just to make sure I wont be sleeping that night :(

POST URS PLZ (even if you arent actually going to watch anything!)

As soon as I saw this thread I thought American Werewolf in London.

Then I remembered a Halloween where I watched American Werewolf in Paris on TV. The horror.

Anyway:

1) American Werwolf in London

2) The Descent (assuming I can watch them in the cinema, this really did a number on me at the time, but on DVD it wasn't very effective).

3) The Evil Dead II, to help me lighten up after the Descent.

I have inluded no Carpenter because it would've been unfair on everyone else who has ever made a film. This is true of lists generally.

Company of Wolves - Love the whole feel/visuals of this movie (and Sarah Patterson is HOT!!!)

The Exorcist - for the scary bits (Religious horror type movies give me the shits)

Fright Night or American Werewolf in London - Classics with humour to bring you down again so sleep is possible (Especially if on your own) <_<

I'll be lucky if I get to watch one film on the night, and it'll probably be the original Halloween if I do, just for tradition (although I'm another fan of part III, which I'd definitely watch if I had a copy).

Actually, I quite fancy watching Ghostwatch again. Pipes anyone?

Not being one to repeat myself :(

Theer was some sort of C4 list programme on last weekend 100 scariest moments or some other Jimmy Carr presented tat.

Anyway, all they showed was a minute clip of Oh Whistle and I'll come to you and if I didnt just crap myself all over again. Gooseflesh and shivered to my core.

I really think the effectiveness of the scene is its grounding in reality and the gibbering in fear it causes in Michael Horden. The other half saw this and I commented on how seeing the tale for the first time, I bricked it and had to turn all the lights on in the house. She laughed and didnt seem scared in the slightest. Then again some of the tales she told me about her childhood and spooky stuff gives me some understanding to her lack of fear.

I've just decided I'm buying it from Play and gonna watch it Halloween night with my 11yr old son. Is it a bit too much seeing as Poltergeist terrified him the other week. Gore doesnt bother him but a good old fashioned ghost story seems to do the trick. Too much do we think?

Too much do we think?

While he's watching, why not nip upstairs and tie fishing line to his bed-sheets? Then, when he goes to bed you can slowly, and invisibly, raise them into the air for a laugh.

Then, the following morning, you can try and fugure out how you're going to pay for all the trauma counselling...

While he's watching, why not nip upstairs and tie fishing line to his bed-sheets? Then, when he goes to bed you can slowly, and invisibly, raise them into the air for a laugh.

Then, the following morning, you can try and fugure out how you're going to pay for all the trauma counselling...

You are a cruel man, but I like you :(

Not being one to repeat myself :D

Theer was some sort of C4 list programme on last weekend 100 scariest moments or some other Jimmy Carr presented tat.

Anyway, all they showed was a minute clip of Oh Whistle and I'll come to you and if I didnt just crap myself all over again. Gooseflesh and shivered to my core.

I really think the effectiveness of the scene is its grounding in reality and the gibbering in fear it causes in Michael Horden. The other half saw this and I commented on how seeing the tale for the first time, I bricked it and had to turn all the lights on in the house. She laughed and didnt seem scared in the slightest. Then again some of the tales she told me about her childhood and spooky stuff gives me some understanding to her lack of fear.

I've just decided I'm buying it from Play and gonna watch it Halloween night with my 11yr old son. Is it a bit too much seeing as Poltergeist terrified him the other week. Gore doesnt bother him but a good old fashioned ghost story seems to do the trick. Too much do we think?

Oh I forgot Poltergiest, thats just been rereleased on DVD hasnt it? Right, thats replacing The Omen on my list then.

I recently read the short story of Oh Whistle...now I'd already seen the film of it which shit me up, the book also had a similar effect....a linen face :(

Oh I forgot Poltergiest, thats just been rereleased on DVD hasnt it? Right, thats replacing The Omen on my list then.

I recently read the short story of Oh Whistle...now I'd already seen the film of it which shit me up, the book also had a similar effect....a linen face :(

I've been looking at getting the first M.R. James collection, its 50p on Amazon Marketplace. Bit rude not too at that price.

Tonight, after the match, Halloween/2, my old Beta ex-rental copies...alongside The Burning also on a dusty old tape.

I guess it's the old vinyl/CD argument, but honestly crystal-clear, digitally-mastered DVD's don't come close in terms of atmostphere.

The Burning - fucking quality, we used to bunk off school to go round my mates and watch a pirate copy of this on VHS...Cropsy, used to give me the shits!!!

Right thanks to this thread I'm now halfway through my MR James fear factory. Though for some reason Oh Whistle in print doesnt freak me out as much as the film.

The first tale though Canon Alberic's Scrapbook, had the old goosebumps up. Casting the Runes is where I'm currently at, lovely little tale that is. The whole collection is excellent though, there's something about the language of James that just evokes eerieness.

I've also ordered Oh Whistle and A Warning on DVD from CD-Wow, £20 for both. I really want Lost Hearts though, that Urdy Gurdy music gives me the willies and its just such a dark tale.

If any kind soul has that on DVD I'd love it if they could find it in their hearts for a copy to find its way to me.

The Burning - fucking quality, we used to bunk off school to go round my mates and watch a pirate copy of this on VHS...Cropsy, used to give me the shits!!!

jalexander_375x375.jpg

Let's not get crazy burny in here!