IGNORED

I was playing Unreal Tournament on the PC last night

Hello Goaty ♥

I still remember the demo like it was yesterday. The disk gun, the redeemer, face. Quality game. went downhill after that though. I mean ut2k3 was UT with crappy 1337 boy textures and updated levels. and UT2k4 was UT2k3 with vehicles. Looks like UT2k7 will be the same as the previous games but with back to the future hover boards and war of the worlds robots. Q3:TA was the best I think though.

But Patriot! Think of all the wonderful UT2K4 games we had! You were my RIVAL on the Rllmuk server, I particulary remember a very intense match on Deck16.

Back to the original UT, anyone remember LIANDRI CENTRAL CORE??

map.DM-Liandri.png

The music on that level was pretty amazing..come to think of it, there were some really memorable tunes.

I just took this online. First populated CTF server running 4.36 with a free space I could find.

I had an absolute blast.

As fast and frentic and downright fun as I remember. I'm still rusty, it'll take me a while to get the absolute groove back, but I hit a couple of telefrags and dodge shock combos, so I'm happy enough.

Feck me, there are some good players about now though...

I've found an old CD with some of the levels I made back when I was a young Farg! I've uploaded a couple of the levels to my site, you can download them below. I don't have the original UT installed and this PC doesn't really have the free space to stick it back on, so I haven't been able to test them out again - hopefully they're not unplayable messes, haha. I remember spending hours putting lots of effort into making traps in the Factory level. :D Enjoy!

http://fargalex.monkeybasedesign.co.uk/UT/DM-Factory.unr

http://fargalex.monkeybasedesign.co.uk/UT/CTF-Falls.unr

factory wouldn't work for me, missing a texture or something i think. falls however is a great little bit of fun. it's a shame the AI never ever uses the lower paths. they'll just stream along the centre walking into a hail of headshots from my sniper. i'm certainly not complaining, the amount of MMMMMMMMMMM-MONSTER KILL i heard within 5 minutes was insane. ;)

factory wouldn't work for me, missing a texture or something i think. falls however is a great little bit of fun. it's a shame the AI never ever uses the lower paths. they'll just stream along the centre walking into a hail of headshots from my sniper. i'm certainly not complaining, the amount of MMMMMMMMMMM-MONSTER KILL i heard within 5 minutes was insane. ;)

Ah, damn..I'm not sure what the missing textures could be with Factory. At a wild guess, I found a texture file on my CD - try sticking this in your textures folder to see if it'll work then:

http://fargalex.monkeybasedesign.co.uk/UT/mbeat7.utx

UnrealEd was great fun and I'd come up with some wacky stuff when I was bored, like painting levels in really trippy light schemes, or building pointless vertical drops onto stacks of health kegs. Or building daft "courses" for the Redeemer missile. Some of the mods were cool too - Tactical Ops, the Matrix stuff, NeoCairo, Akimbo stuff - but I'll keep quiet about them, since this is a "vanilla UT" discussion.

UnrealEd was great fun and I'd come up with some wacky stuff when I was bored, like painting levels in really trippy light schemes, or building pointless vertical drops onto stacks of health kegs. Or building daft "courses" for the Redeemer missile. Some of the mods were cool too - Tactical Ops, the Matrix stuff, NeoCairo, Akimbo stuff - but I'll keep quiet about them, since this is a "vanilla UT" discussion.

I remember messing about with this, it was great, wish Id stuck with level editing might have got a job in it :angry:

Just playing a bit online it amazing!

Anyway someone set up a regular insta gib rllmuk game and count me in. :angry:

Let's talk mods for a minute.

There was a great mod called Strike Force, which was great and I played it a hell of a lot.

At a time when I didn't have broadband, it was the closest thing I could find to Counter Strike but with decent bots.

The original UT was awesome wasnt it.

The levels where really well designed and not too big. I even used to play in a clan with this and was pretty damn good lol.

Used to chill out with all the noobs on Face.

Piston jumping with the flag out of the water in the sub level....l33t skilz :P

Damn i miss LOLMAN :lol:

One of my friends has my copy of this - probably long-forgotten now - so I set it off downloading this morning. There's a pack on Mininova with the various patches and map packs. Are people actually meeting up to play? Because that'd be great. I think. I can't remember how the online system works, all pre-Live multiplayer systems are a vague blur in my memory. It had a friends list, didn't it?

Right, just loaded and had a go. It's absolutely ace. Razor discs zinging around all over the place, the pulse rifle alternate fire, the maps, the sniper zoom, the sheer speed of the whole thing. And of course it runs like a dream even on my antique GeForce FX 5700. I don't think it ever needed updating at all. It's pure. So a hearty thanks for this thread. Maybe I should get Quake 3 next. Hell, I might even install the first Quake, since the terrifying hard drive requirements of yesterday are a mere trifle today.

Postponed this until tomorrow.

Any chance of the server being running Sunday? I've guests round tommorow. :(

How could I go about hosting a game, anyone know a painless way of doing it? I'm sure I just used to give my IP address to friends and let them connect, but that was a long time ago! Who's up for trying tonight, about 10'ish?

How could I go about hosting a game, anyone know a painless way of doing it? I'm sure I just used to give my IP address to friends and let them connect, but that was a long time ago! Who's up for trying tonight, about 10'ish?

Me, but I have no idea about setting things up. Isn't Stu's 'tomorrow' today?

This arrived yesterday. Absolutely brilliant, hasn't aged a bit.

I could play morpheus all day.

Since a lot of people are mentioning Q3A too, I'll throw in my opinion and say I could never get into it like I did UT. I always felt that as soon as you spawned in Q3 you had to sprint to find a new weapon, but in UT the enforcer is pretty damn fine at taking people out. In fact I just prefer pretty much all of UTs weapons.