Yellow Dog Linux for PS3

hub2

I'm hoping there are enough 2D and 3D libraries with the distro to handle most things in software, maybe using an SPU or two for graphics processing to take the load off the PPU.

My personal axe to grind is I want API support up to running Blender http://www.blender.org/

Do that and woooooooooooooo. It already has PPC Linux so it should be a piece of proverbial. The nVidia driver situation is going to the the killer here. If they nail it it'll open a whole world of homebrew fun, and if they don't it'll be next to useless.

I thought Sony confirmed that the PS3 had a Linux-based main OS back before E3?

Nah, they confirmed it could and would run linux.

There would be all sorts of legal issues involved if it ran linux as the main OS, particularly wrt the DRM.

My personal axe to grind is I want API support up to running Blender http://www.blender.org/

Do that and woooooooooooooo. It already has PPC Linux so it should be a piece of proverbial. The nVidia driver situation is going to the the killer here. If they nail it it'll open a whole world of homebrew fun, and if they don't it'll be next to useless.

Blender would, I'm sure, be no problem to run. But, as you can imagine, with software 3D it wouldn't be so much fun to use.

(Every modern distro gives you opengl whatever your hardware, but it's software opengl, hardware opengl is the bit that needs the drivers)

Kinda. I think they got a lot of money through the Google Summer of Code scheme.

Heh, if a few thousand dollars is a lot.

I hear the open sourcing has improved blender, but the thing about the blender interface is that it's keyboard based, and lots of people are er... not very good with that.

Linux as a desktop? haha you must be mistaken or taking the piss, try Mac OS X instead.

Huh?

Err, no, that doesn't hold. Sony's case for avoiding taxation on entertainment consoles fell through shortly after the PS2 launch, when they tried for a discount by shipping the PS2 with BASIC. But the tax no longer exists anyway.

Anyone use Yellow Dog? Is it a pretty reasonable front-end? I'll probably be doing everything through the CLI anyway, part of my future coursework involves sitting in front of Unix workstations.

I was commenting on how useless Linux is as a desktop OS because of its terrible interface design and usability. ;)

Ah right, Linux™, made and distributed by Linux™ ltd.

Have you used Linux recently?

Anyone use Yellow Dog? Is it a pretty reasonable front-end? I'll probably be doing everything through the CLI anyway, part of my future coursework involves sitting in front of Unix workstations.

It's an awful distro, as far as they go. I'm not much of a fan of enlightenment either.

Buying a PC and installing ubuntu or debian on it seems a much better idea than a PS3... unless you really need to justify 425UKP :-P.

On Blender usability, personally I never found it any worse than other 3D apps (and in a lot of ways it's much better) but a few years back they started a serious effort to improve it, as the UI simply filled up with the number of features they've added.

Google have added very little to it really in the grand scheme of things (summer of code projects often don't end up in the actual app for various reasons), what is true is that since open sourcing it it's improved much more rapidly than anyone had ever expected, mainly through the efforts of a relatively small but very good team of people that for some reason find it fun.

On Linux usability, I reckon Gnome is now a better desktop than Windows is, it lacks good productivity apps though and the driver support is still balls.

On Linux usability, I reckon Gnome is now a better desktop than Windows is, it lacks good productivity apps though and the driver support is still balls.

...and will spend the next 5 years catching up with Windows Vista. Seriously, I had to use Unix and Red Hat Linux during my Computing Degree and it was absolute torture from start to finish. I assume the GUI has got better since, but anyone who uses it for anything other than development purposes is a masochist in my book!

aw come on.... Ubuntu is a very usable distro with the easiest package installation tool in the world (yes, it takes even less effort than installing stuff on windows) and a lot of good apps built in. Driver support is pretty ace as well.

The biggest but is the lack of certain commercial apps, or foss alternatives.

...and will spend the next 5 years catching up with Windows Vista. Seriously, I had to use Unix and Red Hat Linux during my Computing Degree and it was absolute torture from start to finish. I assume the GUI has got better since, but anyone who uses it for anything other than development purposes is a masochist in my book!

Yes, well, that's what you get for using the WORST DISTRO EVER.

I entirely agree that anyone who uses red hat is probably a masochist.

I'm not really seeing what vista offers, over linux or even win xp.

Driver support is not bad, it's only dodgy around things where companies want to protect their PRECIOUS TRADE SECRETS or whatever, like 3D chips. Hell, people have actually reverse engineered the ATI R300 hardware (9500-x800 stuff). And everyone who wants fast 3D uses the nvidia binary drivers anyway, which are as good as their windows ones.

The drivers are generally very good too, linux can be brought down by a bad driver in the same way as windows can, and yet such a happening is very very rare. There's a long process of vetting and integration before a driver is included in the kernel mainline, it certainly seems to produce higher quality drivers than the (very expensive) MS driver signing process.

What's the Linux emulation scene like?

Very variable, good support for most older systems, we have snes9x, zsnes, gens, dgen etc. Things get a bit more meh with more recent systems, we only have one N64 emu (mupen64) and for the PS1 we have epsxe, both of those require hardware 3D btw (which we're wondering if this will have).

Emulators on non-x86 platforms are usually quite a bit slower than you'd think. They're usually very x86 centric and have x86 assembly cores, with slower C backups. But that probably shouldn't be a problem for a 3.2GHZ PPC.

Yes, well, that's what you get for using the WORST DISTRO EVER.

I entirely agree that anyone who uses red hat is probably a masochist.

You can blame my uni course co-ordinator for that. Wouldn't dream of polluting my own PC with that so called operating system! ;)

I'm all for open source stuff in general but, from my POV, changing OS is just one step too far.

I hear all you linux arguments and they make my head spin - however surely the biggest issues with linux is making ti work with your particular setup in this instance all setup (hardware wise) will be the same so surely this will be more stable and usuable - wishful thinking I know!

I think any distro using KDE and Synaptic, will change your mind in minutes. PCLinuxOS, for example

• 5 weeks later...

But that probably shouldn't be a problem for a 3.2GHZ PPC.

The in-order simple PPC core in the PS3 will be complete ass for emulation.

while all you linux lads discuss the pros and cons of different versions and different win skins here's an image of the E17 PC build hopefully some indicator of what the PS3 version will be like (I really hope)

http://enlightenment.sourceforge.net/Enlig...screenshot2.png

Is that the Noddy skin?