Future to launch new games mag: "Edge Presents… File"

Did you know that, % wise, the cost of EDGE has risen far more than the price of videogames in the last 10 years?

:(

This is true. The cost of each of the games quoted in the Charts and in the Test Screen section demonstrates that the cost of games has not increased even notionally over the last 12 years. £225 for Viewpoint anyone?

Got mine from my local newsagents and was really surprised to see it there.Thought I would have to go into town to get it even though they normally sell Edge.

Its a lovely thick book and I feel really worth the £8.Although the design of the early mags really shows how far magazine design has come.It looks really cluttered and amateurish.I havent got my early Edges to hand to see if the layout has been changed for the new File but I cant believe thatw e thought that this style was cutting edge back then.

Would anyone be interested in earning a quid or two by sending this mag to me in Denmark? I'll pay for postage, mag etc. in advance, via paypal.

It would cost an absolute fortune in postage though.If nobody gets back to you I could do it early next week.Would price up the postage with my copy and PM you if you need it.

Well, the postage i don't mind about. I think it would be around 4-5 pounds, and a couple off pounds on top off that. So the magazine would cost me around £20. Its okay, the normal edge mag cost around 9 pounds in Denmark anyway.

Thanks for the offer, i'll be PM you if I need it.

The 8 page "how edge started" feature has run before - perhaps in 2003.

It's interesting, since I've not read any of the first 5 issues before; or the later ones featured since 1994. The utter fascination with respect to technical details (100Mhz processors, 2MB ram, 300kB/s transfer speeds, 10fps, 20fps...) is what really stands out. Along with the statement in the first set of letters that 12.5 fps is clearly adequate since that's what gets used in cartoons.

And now we're worried about the occasional bout of screen tearing.

[ The other thing is the sheer price of games in the charts in issue 1. I remember console games as being ridiculously expensive, and I didn't own an amiga - but £45 for syndicate on the PC? ]

fyi. taking http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/...ear_result=2005

as my source - that would bring us to ~ £60 today; or about 33% more than your average supermarket 360 game :wacko:

Well, the postage i don't mind about. I think it would be around 4-5 pounds, and a couple off pounds on top off that. So the magazine would cost me around £20. Its okay, the normal edge mag cost around 9 pounds in Denmark anyway.

Thanks for the offer, i'll be PM you if I need it.

No worries.My local newsagent have a couple of copies so I can do it anytime :wacko:

Limited to 8 page intro on how the mag was started up and one paragraph sidebars on some of the other pages - so not really worthwhile if you have the original issues IMO.

That isn't new content either - that article was in one of the anniversary issues. Can't say I was that impressed with the mag - it's amusing to see some of the old predictions and comments for a few pages but that soon gets boring and the quality of the mag is crap.

I was all excited about buying this until I found it in Smith's today. The scans really do look rough which was very surprising and disappointing, I soon realised the amount of new content was practically nil and - worst of all - every issue was all wavy, like someone had read them in the bath.

I'm usually a sucker for Edge special editions but I walked straight back out of the store without this one and I don't regret it at all. Having every issue since #1 in pristine condition back home also helps. :(

Ditto mate, looking forward to this but looked through it and it's a bit of a piss take to be honest! The scan quality is shite as you say. And why the fuck are they scanning it? Surely to god they have the original files backed up so all they need to do is create a new layout and paste in the original artwork and print it.

8 squid too... bloody scandal.

If they had done a proper job of it I would quite happily have paid for it. Luckily I have Edge issue 1 onwards but it would have been nice to have had all the top reviews and articles in one place!

Prob bloody buy it tho just to keep my collection complete! :(

Can't say I've noticed anything dodgy about the scan/print quality, but I'm probably too busy reading the mag instead of pointing out every flaw :(

I'm not really sure why people wikth all the issues feel the need to buy this to be honest. Even if its for "convinience" you already have more content then this has :(

I would have liked to have seen more 'what we got wrong' bits, this should become increasingly apparant in the next issue when they start covering the 'M2,' from 3DO.... I remember reading article after article about that, and how awesome it was going to be...

And why the fuck are they scanning it? Surely to god they have the original files backed up so all they need to do is create a new layout and paste in the original artwork and print it.

I don't know anythingabout publishing, but I'd have guessed that the various files that go to make up a magazine (if they still have them all, including the screenshots and artwork) will be all in ten years worth of slightly different file formats requiring different versions of software. Scanning is presumably much easier, and is probably the only cost-effective way of getting this material on the shelves, especially if you want to preserve the original layouts and not just the text (which is part of the appeal for me).