Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

Forgot quite a lot of what happened after season 5 or so, so the spoiler quote from that article was quite a ride.

Spoiler

There are no details as to the whereabouts of Hall’s Dexter in the reboot, but the finale of Season 8 saw Dexter having faked his death and living under a new name in Oregon after wrecking his boat and escaping from a hospital with the body of his sister, who had been shot and left in a coma, and having sent his son Harrison and love interest Hannah to live in Argentina.

Fucking what??

Your spoiler tag didn't work. 

The article missed the best part: 

Spoiler

Not only did he steal his sister's body, he threw it in the ocean. 

Also, his sister was madly in love with him. She even shot and killed LaGuerta to protect Dexter. 

Also his love interest Hannah was a serial killer. 

Dexter may have been the genesis of my 'Sunk cost, I'll see it through' approach to TV shows. Or House. I can't remember.

Either way, I love Michael C Hall, and I remember once being into this show before it became a weekly task.

Maybe it'll be like when Batman: TAS became a slightly different show in S4. Like a quasi-reboot, restyled for 2020/1. I could give that a spin.

Also, give Walton Goggins a role in it.

This seems like a bad idea, but I guess it depends on how they deal with it. The BBC article says it continues from season 8, which makes sense if they’re bringing Michael C Hall back. If they basically focus on him starting a new life and doing some murders with a new supporting cast that might be ok? But if they feel the need to rope in Hannah and Harrison and Astor and Cody and the awful police I’m betting it will suck. 

• 2 months later...

I saw something earlier about Hall acknowledging the disappointing original ending and wanting to fix that.

And in other news, the revival villain is Clancy Brown.

Brown will play villain Kurt Caldwell. Per the official description: “Caldwell was born and raised in the town of Iron Lake. In fact, some consider him the unofficial mayor of their small town. He’s realized the American dream by going from driving big rigs, just like his father did, to now owning several trucks and the local truck stop. Powerful, generous, loved by everyone – he’s a true man of the people. If he’s got your back, consider yourself blessed. But should you cross Kurt, or hurt anyone that he cares for… God help you.

On 17/07/2013 at 09:35, Retroid said:

Used to be such a fan of this and I can't even be arsed to try the new season. I've still got the entirety of GoT to watch which seems like a much better offer.

This has not aged well. 

Clancy Brown, however, is always good. 

Dexter coming back:

jjj.gif.3513d531481ae1be6ab6c810570f7b57.gif 

It's got the original series 1-4 showrunner:

2.png.d32362b76fe732f12109d21dd70337d8.png

It's got Clancy Brown playing a baddie who appears to be part political man-of-the-people and part blue-collar pickup-truck brick-shithouse:

gipyhy.gif.761dbf9b4f9dd9edce7d73d18a0871c8.gif

Fuck it, set enthusiasm to maximum.

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I are going through this again (up to a certain stage, obviously), we've just started season 4. Whilst I still really enjoyed seasons 1 & 2 I've got to say season 3 was really disappointing - even though I've already seen it twice. There were so many wheel-spinning episodes of nothingness and when a tiny amount of tension popped up in the last two or three episodes it was riddled with the dreadful writing and complete absence of logic that the latter seasons were infested with. 

Really hope season 4 still holds up.

• 4 months later...

It's bringing John Lithgow back. Considering his Trinity Killer is dead, I assume it's either a flashback or (perhaps more likely) he'll be in Dexter's head. And he won't be in it much. Only about a day of filming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Deb being another voice in his head now, or a flashback, or...? I gave up long before the end of the original run but I'm aware of her fate.

I don't think there was ever any possibility of this being anything other than terrible, of course. The fact that they ever managed 3 or so decent seasons within the premise was a minor miracle, I'd say, and the quality that ensued when they attempted to stretch it to 8 was inevitable.

I've only ever watched a few episodes of Season 1. Don't know why I didn't carry on as I was really enjoying it at the time. It's hard to work out if I should try again, given the reaction to later seasons. If the continuation turns out to be good, then it might be worth it... just feels like I would be watching a decent show for a while and then having to get through some utter shite.