rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Plenty of WTF moments but this was surely a hightlight:

R.I.P Deb

At the bottom of the ocean with the rest of the serial killers.

Dexter was told that Deb was shot so he left Hannah and Harrison. He told them that they'd meet up later. Hannah manages to evade the Marshall and escape the country.

Deb went into surgery for her gun shot wound and ended up more or less brain dead due to complications. Saxxon ended up going to the hospital to finish the job and was caught.

Dexter went to see Saxxon in custody to supposedly get a GSR sample. The receptionist didn't recognise Dexter at all. He ended up killing him and Batista and Quinn let him get away with it because it was in self defence. Even though they acknowledged that he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Dexter went back to the hospital and pulled the plug on Deb. He then wheeled her out of the hospital and carried her to his boat while there were tons of folk around. No one said anything.

This is the best bit coming up.

Dexter took the boat out to the hurricane and dumped Deb's body. He then drove into the hurricane. The remains of his boat were found and he was presumed dead. Hannah reads about it on her iPad and is sad.

Then we see that Dexter's still alive. AND HE'S A FUCKING LUMBERJACK!!!

For fuck's sake, now I have to actually watch the last season because I don't fucking believe you.

That's like, deliberately trying to write the actual shittiest possible way to end the series. I know there was a significant change in the production team after s4, but while the last few seasons have been shit, they've just been lazy-shit. This sounds like actual malice was involved. Like someone really disliked the show, not just the show, they personally disliked some of the main people who made the show, like some proper genuine hate, conjured by jealousy, or revenge or something; and they somehow managed to get control over the show's production through some long term, incredibly specific and loop-holey legal subterfuge, and then proceeded to actively try to come up with the worst way to end the show so that it would leave the most perfect rotten taste in everyone's mouths when they ever thought of the name "Dexter" ever again.

I gave up after the first episode (and was negged for doing so, lol) but even then I had no idea it would end that badly.

• Upvote 1

I just read the spoiler for the episode on the basis that nothing could possibly make watching it any worse than it has been. It sounds typically abysmal but, as Wroth says, so bad I need to see it to believe it.

Fuck this show. It's quite tragic that I feel this way, it's provided as many pleasurable hours as bad ones, but this series was so dreadful I'm genuinely glad it's finishing before it has chance to get even worse (and the way it was going that would have been a certainty).

It was self defence, lets give him a pass

I like how heavy handed they use the storm metaphor.

^ David Beckham's in it?

Hannah surviving and being the only one in the series to get a really happy ending (Come on, she's a killer, she doesn't give a fuck about him) is like deciding to end Game of Thrones by having the Lannisters all skip arm in arm down to Sesame Street.

^ David Beckham's in it?

Hannah surviving and being the only one in the series to get a really happy ending (Come on, she's a killer, she doesn't give a fuck about him) is like deciding to end Game of Thrones by having the Lannisters all skip arm in arm down to Sesame Street.

What do you mean?, she has to look after Harrison and pay for his upbringing.

I think 'currently' really needs to be changed to 'thankfully' in the topic title...

In the words of the great Clarence Boddicker:

"What is this shit?"

After the festering pile that was the rest of this season I didn't expcet them to pull any last minute triumphs, but that finale was awful it surpassed even my low, low expectations.

Special pats on the back to the special effects team, they really sold Miami about to be hit with a hurricane by taking shots of clearly sunny days and lowering the colour a bit.

At least Michael Caine got to see him one last time and get a measure of peace, no wait that was something else.

• Upvote 1

At least Michael Caine got to see him one last time and get a measure of peace, no wait that was something else.

Yeah. They might as well have just added the Hans Zimmer track to it.

Watched the finale this morning, and read the (as it turns out, inaccurate) spoilers. The latter, as stupid though it may have sounded, would have made for a more satisfying finale than what we got.

As it happens, I think some of the ideas in the finale were fine, it was just ruined once again by utterly ham-fisted execution, and the coda was just laughably terrible.

I almost found Deb dying quite moving, if only thanks to Hall's and Carpenter's performances (mainly the latter, because half the time Hall's 'upset' face makes him look like he badly needs a shit). But the script ruined any chance of these scenes being as affecting as they should have been. It was beyond ludicrous that Deb ended up apologising to Dexter for him missing his flight, and basically absolved him of all guilt and told him to have a happy life. Now that could possibly tie in with the whole karmic balance idea which was posited by Quinn in the ambulance, and that was Deb being a hero to give Dexter a happy future, but instead it felt like the writers removing the one tie Dexter had to Miami, the one last obstacle to him having a happy life with Hannah and Harrison.

Then you have Harrison whispering "I love Hannah" to Dexter, which is basically his sole excuse for faking his own death and leaving his son to grow up with a serial killer. There's been literally nothing leading up to this that suggests Hannah would be happy raising Harrison on her own (over the course of this season she's turned from an intelligent killer with a strong survival instinct to a wallflower; witness the way she's absolutely fine going ahead with Harrison and not being even slightly worried that Dexter might come to any harm while still chasing Saxon). Another example of a stupid contrivance making Dexter's path clear.

Of course Deb was going to die after the doctor said she'd be okay, but again, she had to die on Dexter's terms. She couldn't just die outright, she had to have a stroke which ensured Dexter could say goodbye to her in his own way. Quite apart from that, having Deb die and making him realise that he destroys the lives of those he cares about is just a carbon copy of what happened at the end of Season Four. A subject the writers could have explored in a meaningful way had they not decided to hit the reset button.

Saxon's death was rushed and anticlimactic. Then Batista and Quinn watch the footage, with Dexter quite clearly showing the calm and unerring accuracy of a practiced killer, and despite that - and let's not forget that Quinn's had his suspicions about Dexter before - they're both absolutely fine with it. Hey sure, bro, you get your flight. We'll sort out the fact that you killed a serial murder suspect in police custody, for which of course there will be no consequences whatsoever. (Incidentally, Quinn screaming at Saxon in the interrogation room felt to me like the sole truthful moment in that episode and perhaps demonstrated how much Desmond Harrington has been wasted in this show.)

But perhaps the most forehead-slappingly terrible thing about the whole episode was the apparent blindness of everyone in Miami. Saxon's walking around dripping blood everywhere with a gun in his hand and NO-ONE NOTICES. Hannah stabs a guy in the leg with a syringe on a coach while loudly announcing what she's just done and NO-ONE NOTICES. Dexter carries Deb's body out of the hospital, down the steps and onto his boat and NO-ONE NOTICES. And that's ignoring the fact that for an entire season an escaped serial killer has refused to change a single thing about her appearance and NO-ONE FUCKING NOTICES.

The worst thing is that I think the idea of

Dexter losing everyone he loves

is actually a less trite, obvious ending than the alternatives -

Dexter gets away with everything and lives happily ever ever, or he's caught, tried and goes to the chair.

But the way they've handled this entire last season made what could potentially have been a quite daring finale into something laughable.

• Upvote 4

Former Producer Clyde Phillips ending he would've pitched.

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

Former Producer Clyde Phillips ending he would've pitched.

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

Still don't think that ending is great, but much better than the one we got.

I still found it fun to watch because it was soooooo bad and then reading the comments here made it so worthwhile.

Plenty of WTF moments but this was surely a hightlight:

R.I.P Deb

At the bottom of the ocean with the rest of the serial killers.

But that was symbolic because

she was his last victim. Not directly but it because of his actions

Still, what a shit final series to a once great show. When a show I've loved and watched for years ends I usually feel some kind of emotion. With that, there was nothing, nothin at all :(

Even with

Debs death

there was nothing.

But that was symbolic because

she was his last victim. Not directly but it because of his actions

Still, what a shit final series to a once great show. When a show I've loved and watched for years ends I usually feel some kind of emotion. With that, there was nothing, nothin at all :(

Even with

Debs death

there was nothing.

I really think you're given the writer too much credit, still even if true what a shitty thing to do.

Glad I gave up not long after it became a tequila commecial with ridiculous exposition for the hard of thinking...