rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Can't believe I've given up on this. Every series up to this one, me and my brother would meet up and watch it with a few cans. I don't necessarily think it's bad, it's just that I've lost all enthusiasm for it. I think also that Hannibal, enjoying it as much as I did, made Dexter feel rather old hat.

Yeah, I think having watched Hannibal before this last series really highlights just how much Dexter has lost its edge from the early seasons (even though I think Hannibal is edgier than Dexter ever was, and really uncomfortable to watch, in a good way, if that makes sense).

You can't help but get the impression that if Dexter and Hannibal met, not only would Hannibal win, but Dexter would probably resign himself to his fate just to escape how humdrum and soap-opera his life has become, which is quite a feat considering he's supposed to be a serial killer.

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping next week that Hannah and Deb get it on while Dexter is out looking for Saxon. He then comes back, finds them together, admits he's found his perfect match and skips off into the sunset with Saxon, just like these two:

Diamonds-are-Forever-Bruce-Glover-Putter

It really has been terrible this season, but I've invested so many years to it now that I won't give up. I just can't see where it's going. Surely they should have just had a season with him being on the run and getting killed. If he ends up with a happy ending i'll fucking stab him myself.

• Upvote 2

I'm not bothered whether Dexter lives or dies, I just would like to have seen him in some kind of genuine peril this season - they could even have had him tried and imprisoned for his crimes then somehow he gets away before he goes to the chair and I wouldn't have minded. But this season's been the absolute nadir in terms of his actions having absolutely no consequences. The second episode (where Vogel's involvement with Dexter became clear and Deb was going wildly off the rails) had genuine potential, but it's been rapidly downhill from there. Much as Hall and Strahovski have chemistry, that whole relationship makes not a lick of sense. And the idea that Deb would suddenly be okay - not only accepting of

her role in the death of Laguerta, but entirely fine with Dexter having been responsible for her father's suicide - after a single session with Vogel is offensive, not to mention that she's now covering for a woman she's supposed to despise and who's tried to kill her before.

It's just bollocks.

But here's the thing: I don't think anyone would care if Dexter was a truly bad show. The fact that people are angry about it is because it still shows (very occasional) flashes of that old brilliance, the reason we all started watching in the first place.

• Upvote 2

Would have been so much better if this season has been a Silence of the Lambs type series. Deb should have sided with Laguerta and arrested Dexter and this season then having to use him to help catch a serial killer.

But instead it's been so boring. This week I fell asleep half way through and woke up just before it ended. Usually when that happens I go back and watch it, this time I just got my wife to tell me cause I couldn't be arsed. One day I may start the show again and just stop after Series 4 and remember the good times.

I thought this final season would be like the Fugitive, he's on the run as he's been revealed as a serial killer.

• Upvote 1

I thought this final season would be like the Fugitive, he's on the run as he's been revealed as a serial killer.

Now THAT would be worth watching.

As it is, I'm staying with this because I want to see where it's going to end, but I just want that end to come now.

Actually that would have been miles better that what I said. Shame we won't get that and our final memories of Dexter have been tarred by such a shit last season.

• Upvote 1

I thought it would be the most sensible and logical conclusion to Dexter?. I don't understand how the writers came to this conclusion for a finale.

It just seems like a 'normal' series, rather than a finale one- after 8 seasons you'd really expect the final one to up the ante a lot and be a major game changer. I expected him to be on the run as well and totally up against it, previous allies turned to enemies etc- a hugely wasted opportunity. That's nowhere they've really taken the character before, so it would have been perfect.

I know they were deliberating at one point whether the 8th season actually would be the last, but I don't really see how that could be a factor in this ending up how it has. Maybe the possibility of the spin-off meant that they didn't want to do anything too huge with the character? I don't know. Either way, it's crap.

The fact that people are angry about it is because it still shows (very occasional) flashes of that old brilliance, the reason we all started watching in the first place.

I'm not angry with it. I'm utterly bored with it precisely because it doesn't have any flashes of its previous brilliance. It's absolutely rubbish and the latest episode was a real chore to sit through. I was really hoping it was the last ever episode but no. Might fast forward through any remaining ones just to see Dexter's fate.

Another reason I ended up not really watching this season is because that fucking Hannah is back. She's a proper show-ruiner for me, one of those characters who you really despise (in a 'we don't want to see this character at all' way rather than a 'love to hate this character' way) yet whom the makers of the show seem to love.

• Upvote 1

Fit but quite unbelievably boring. The only honourable thing they could have done with her character would have been to make her a nudist. They didn't though, so to hell with her.

Not to mention the fact that either Dexter or Deb tolerating her in any way at all is a professional-wrestling level of writing (We were killing each other last month but now we're tag team champs and best friends! SWERVE!) that just doesn't allow me to suspend my disbelief.

Christ, it doesn't get any better. This season has had more than its fair share of characters doing unbelievably stupid things, but the penultimate episode takes the cake.

The notion of Dex gradually losing the need to kill is perfectly fine, it's just the utterly ham-fisted execution of it all. This should have been a gradual thing over several seasons, not just a last-minute 'y'know what? Can't be arsed', particularly when he's dealing with someone who has good reason to a) shop him and b) kill everyone he holds dear should he escape. Dexter's constantly killed to protect his family, and to eliminate those who've escaped justice. Now we're expected to swallow the idea that he's 100% certain Saxon is going to the chair and there's no way for him to get out of that?

Fuck off, Dexter.

• Upvote 1

Watching Dexter is fun only to read the comments here which makes it worth it. So at least something positive has come out of it.

• Upvote 2

Plus, a fucking US Marshall that has the ability to arrest anyone, anywhere in the country doesn't know that there's a city wide manhunt for a guy that cuts open skulls.

Okaaaaaay.

Ha, yeah. I was going to say that.

Not only that, but he somehow managed to miss Dexter exiting the building, despite him walking out in broad daylight. No wonder he hasn't caught Hannah yet.

You know what? I can't even be arsed to download it. I came here looking for spoilers so I could simply read up rather than waste an hour.

• Upvote 1

Plus, a fucking US Marshall that has the ability to arrest anyone, anywhere in the country doesn't know that there's a city wide manhunt for a guy that cuts open skulls.

Okaaaaaay.

Heh, I said the same thing to my wife just now.

Still going to watch the last one though :D

How about evil mastermind Oliver Saxon's diabolical plan to get Dexter, which basically amounted to reenacting that bit with the Nazguls in the Prancing Pony from Lord of the Rings.