rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

To be fair, Dexter has always been ridiculously conspicuous in most of what he does. Even back when it was good it used to irritate me every other episode or so, as he brazenly wandered around yet another location without any reason to believe he wouldn't be interrupted any moment. I suppose it was meant to be a device for tension but the way he was going about things was usually so unnecessary that it never worked for me.

Even the Guardian is joining in.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/aug/27/dexter-series-finale

Not watching Dexter? Well, who can blame you. At this point, the only people still watching are life-hating masochists like me who grimly cling on to each new arid, inert, incident-free episode just because they've already sat through seven and a half godforsaken years of this tripe and they feel a wrongheaded sense of duty to discover how it ends.

Well that describes me.

• Upvote 2

Apparently there is no Dexter this week. No idea why. On one hand I'm glad it won't be stinking up my Monday night viewing but on the other hand it means this guff will go on for a week longer than it deserves to.

No Ray Donovan either. They're both on Showtime the same night. Is there some sporting event on?

Oh, they appear to be showing the entire series of Ray Donovan that evening, apart from the new episode. Weird.

I'll leave you to figure out why channels hold off on new episodes of their top shows while 50% of the country is away from home on long weekend vacations.

And they can't even spell Labour. Arseholes.

Too laborious to spell it right.

I'll leave you to figure out why channels hold off on new episodes of their top shows while 50% of the country is away from home on long weekend vacations.

Nope, no idea. In the UK we've been able to record programmes while we're out since the 1970's.

• Upvote 2

To be fair, Dexter has always been ridiculously conspicuous in most of what he does. Even back when it was good it used to irritate me every other episode or so, as he brazenly wandered around yet another location without any reason to believe he wouldn't be interrupted any moment. I suppose it was meant to be a device for tension but the way he was going about things was usually so unnecessary that it never worked for me.

This is something I've always let slide, but gets pretty ridiculous: when he's stalking a target, he'll walk up to their house in broad daylight, pick the lock and have a wander around. He never looks to see if anyone is in, if anyone I watching or if the place is alarmed...

So why isn't Dexter on?
  • Upvote 4

"The only way I've survived as long as I have is by being careful."

5CuArGc.jpg

So loudly lecturing that kid in the middle of the motel car park, with a body in the boot, and a pair of blue rubber gloves on, in broad daylight, with Hannah standing there, was careful? Dear god.

Also, I watched the first episode again last week. He took blood slides, used a splatter visor, wore full body apron and gloves, shoe covers... The lot.

Then I watched the latest ones, where he just walks into places in his green jumper and jeans and gives not a single fuck.

I watched the first episode again on Netflix as well. What really struck me was how they portrayed what Dexter does, despite doing it to criminals, as unequivocally wrong and creepy. A far cry from now where he's basically shown as a superhero vigilante who they clearly want you to cheer, rather than a serial killer who hunts criminals because otherwise he'd be slicing up hookers. There were lots of shots from the victim's POV, the shots of Dexter in action were framed in an almost horror movie manner and he plays with his prey for quite a while, showing a high degree of sadism, before going to town on his victim with a powersaw.

The cinematography was also so much better back then, far more stylish, modern Dexter looks very flat and overlit in comparison. Miami Metro are doing actual police work and Doakes actually clears a case (with Dexter's help) as opposed to just going to crime scenes and then promptly forgetting about the suspects once Dexter disappears them. Speaking of which Dexter here only goes after criminals who the criminal justice system let slip rather than going out of his way to actively impede investigations. He's also just the blood spatter analysis instead of being a one person CSI team and cops actually comment on why he's trying to insert himself into investigations and briefings that are nothing to with him.

All in all it felt like a much different (and better) show.

• Upvote 9

He could have been up there with Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey and Walter White as one of TV's great monsterous but compelling protagonists. Instead it's extremely clear from any interviews with the current showrunner that he and his team don't actually see what Dexter's doing is all that bad and they seem to regard themselves as writing The Punisher with a fondness for kitchenware.

Remember when Doakes, who was black-ops and had probably seen some serious shit, was reduced to a gibbering mess when Dexter started doing his thing to a victim in front of him? How about Dexter going out with a rape victim so he deliberately won't have to have sex and the only way he can attempt arousal is thinking of a dismembered corpse? You wouldn't get a scenes like that anymore. The audience might not think Dexter is a supercool crimefighter anymore. Now he's a ladies man banging a supermodel and Deb was a bit perturbed about his hobby until she came to realise the truth that he's performing a necessary function.

• Upvote 8

In hindsight, probably should never have killed off...

Rita. A ratings grabber, sure, but now it just seems like the writers didn't really want to push themselves (unless Benz wanted out of the show), as the Rita situation was only going to get more difficult.

The Rita killing was rubbish because it was pretty much forgotten about approximately 10 minutes after it happened. It should have had a huge impact on the show and character, setting up the endgame for what remained of the series. Instead Dexter moved on to shagging Julia Stiles (and in real life allegedly) within a few episodes and the two kids went back to their home planet, while Harrison got the world's most accommodating nanny. Can't have complications getting in the way of Dexter's ability to be a super fun time vigilante after all.

Harrison got the world's most accommodating nanny.

Also possibly the world's thickest nanny.

"Errr, hi Jamie, I know it's 11:30pm but could you come and watch Harrison ? The office called and I have to go to a crime scene".

"Sure Dex - I'll just let Batista and Quinn, who haven't been called out and are sitting right here, know I'm coming over."

Any normal person would have at least been moaning to Quinn by now that It's really annoying that Dexter keeps getting called so late, and Quinn would be saying, "What are you talking about - we didn't call him". Which is exactly what she already did with Batista to catch Quinn out this season

• Upvote 1

And why isn't Quinn still suspicious of Dexter? He had the picture of Dexter dropping bin bags in the sea when he was hanging around with Lila and Robocop mysteriously went missing when he was invesigating Dexter (and had told Quinn about his suspicions to some extent)

It's such a bad show, and now it's not even Season 6 style funny bad, it's just boring.

And to make things worse, the showrunner has been talking about a spin off. So this might not even be the end!

Even if there is a spin-off, none of us are going to watch it.

We're only watching now as after watching for seven and a half seasons (well, six, I didn't watch S6), we might as well push through to the end. I'll probably go back and watch early Dexter on Netflix, but more of the same? Not a chance.

And why isn't Quinn still suspicious of Dexter? He had the picture of Dexter dropping bin bags in the sea when he was hanging around with Lila and Robocop mysteriously went missing when he was invesigating Dexter (and had told Quinn about his suspicions to some extent)

It's such a bad show, and now it's not even Season 6 style funny bad, it's just boring.

Didn't he make some evidence implicating Quinn disappear or something ? There's so many loose threads on this show now I'm getting lost.

Yeah, there was a drop of Robocop's blood on Quinn's shoes which Dexter lied about and said was Quinn's own. The end of the season was basically I know you're a killer and murdered Robocop, but you did me a solid so let's forget any of these events ever happened and never speak of them again.