Fusty Gusset

The Meg - Jason Statham vs Giant Shark

ive not read the books, but even in the trailer the size of the meg seems to change...

Spoiler

speculation time....  could there be 2 megs? a smaller younger one and then a mummy/daddy bigger one?

either way its the Statham vs Monster shark...... that shark is so going down!

43 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Either different growth stages or more than one animal.

Presumably meg, gig, peta etc.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is the size inconsistent, or is it just me?

it's easy to see.

Man, 6ft

Great White 20ft

Megalodon 60ft

megalodon-shark-scale-1.png

these posters show a shark closer to 600ft...

Edited by SeanR
shark chart
  • Empathy 1

On 27/06/2018 at 12:44, SeanR said:

these posters show a shark closer to 600ft...

They're gonna need a bigger boat.

• Upvote 1

I love Deep Blue Sea for it's scenery chewing, shark rap, dodgy cgi, shark attack carnage (and bonus points for the "Kojima explains Quiet" depths plunged in order to get Saffrom Burrows to strip to her pants). And I honestly am happier it starred Thomas Jane and not Statham.

I just can't stand Statham, he always sounds like an Eastenders soap actor who accidentally got cast in hollywood films.

The only film of his I enjoy watching is Ghosts of Mars. That is purely because it is a fantastic mishmash of a reknowned director losing it in old age and vomiting anything up onto the screen and Anthrax (not the chemical agent!). Because of that film Statham looks positively underplayed and a natural actor :D

11 hours ago, Clipper said:

I just can't stand Statham, he always sounds like an Eastenders soap actor who accidentally got cast in hollywood films.

I think Statham would probably agree with you. He's probably more than aware of his acting limitations but has found his niche as a modern day action star. And there aren't too many of them around these days, other than The Rock.

Massive fan of the books (they are more important than the bible/koran/lotr/haroldpotter et al) - they have made some changes (Angel is an albino Meg in the books) but I'm hopeful that enough of the insane moment in the books have made it to the screen (The original ending...well yes if they can film that then its going be pretty insane).... 

Statham is good value, he knows he's shit but at least he's genuinely good at martial arts and even more importantly, can sell it.

He's easily at his best when he leans into the absurdity like in crank and so on, I think he's crap in snatch for instance but that is his debut so I'll let him off. He's also bloody great in spy.

He's probably a better actor than a lot of similar people from the 80s, I mean I love Dolph but shit, he's really not very good at acting.

Also, when you see the bootleg Stathams like Luke Goss, my appreciation for him goes up more, even though he's obviously rubbish. That's part of the fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, GITGUDZILLA said:

Massive fan of the books (they are more important than the bible/koran/lotr/haroldpotter et al) - they have made some changes (Angel is an albino Meg in the books) but I'm hopeful that enough of the insane moment in the books have made it to the screen (The original ending...well yes if they can film that then its going be pretty insane).... 

it does look like theyve mashed up the first two books

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SeanR said:

it does look like theyve mashed up the first two books

I have all my fingers and fins crossed that this is massive and the entire series gets filmed (Hell's Aquarium is utterly batshit mental) - roll on August! :)

• Upvote 2

Just bought the first book on Kindle. They've renamed it "The Meg" as per the film. I can only think they added the "The" so it didn't sound like it was a film about a girl called Meg. Still a bit rubbish though.

• Upvote 1

On 03/07/2018 at 08:38, Monkeyboy said:

I think Statham would probably agree with you. He's probably more than aware of his acting limitations but has found his niche as a modern day action star. And there aren't too many of them around these days, other than The Rock.

He is essentially a slightly smaller Rock. His facial expressions are even the same.

• Upvote 2

On 04/07/2018 at 13:04, GITGUDZILLA said:

I have all my fingers and fins crossed that this is massive and the entire series gets filmed (Hell's Aquarium is utterly batshit mental) - roll on August! :)

Only book 3 onward is on Audible :(

Edit - OHHHHHH Book 1 is coming out on 12th. That's new!

• Upvote 1

I'm about 30% into the book. It's fun and pulpy. I like it.

Although, I'm seeing Statham's face whenever the main character speaks, and it doesn't quite fit. I think, in a bizarre way, it's making it more enjoyable. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I'm about 30% into the book. It's fun and pulpy. I like it.

Although, I'm seeing Statham's face whenever the main character speaks, and it doesn't quite fit. I think, in a bizarre way, it's making it more enjoyable. :lol:

Same. I can't see the Stath as Jonas Taylor, I think it will be good though. The books are fab.

So The Meg audio book complete. Not sure how I feel. It's a bit...pofaced. It never reaches OOT levels of seriousness or haminess, but is presented in far too a serious manner for the subject matter. (The tone of the movie trailer feels much more suitable for instance).

Book 2 isn't on Audible :( 3 onwards is though.

43 minutes ago, Hexx said:

So The Meg audio book complete. Not sure how I feel. It's a bit...pofaced. It never reaches OOT levels of seriousness or haminess, but is presented in far too a serious manner for the subject matter. (The tone of the movie trailer feels much more suitable for instance).

Book 2 isn't on Audible :( 3 onwards is though.

They get much sillier and schlockier from book 2 onward. Book 2 introduces an Elon Musk-esq supervillain who randomly switches to Latin in mid-sentence for no reason. Jonas is a bit straight-laced all right.

Just now, Silent Runner said:

They get much sillier and schlockier from book 2 onward. Book 2 introduces an Elon Musk-esq supervillain who randomly switches to Latin in mid-sentence for no reason. Jonas is a bit straight-laced all right.

Do you think it's possible to skip to book 3 (and maybe read wikipedia for book 2)?

You could skip The Trench all right if it's not available as an audio book. I think some characters return in book 3 (it's a while since I've read it) but it wouldn't be hard to pick it up. 

From the trailer for the film it looks like there's a lot of book 2 in there. 

35 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

You could skip The Trench all right if it's not available as an audio book. I think some characters return in book 3 (it's a while since I've read it) but it wouldn't be hard to pick it up. 

From the trailer for the film it looks like there's a lot of book 2 in there. 

see, that's what confused me about the book order.

there's stuff in the trailer that looks like it's from book 2,

Spoiler

with angel, the offspring of the first meg, in captivity etc...

I hope that after a mid-film battle between Jason and the Meg results in a tie, they are grudgingly forced to team up to take down a colossal enemy lobster that threatens all life in the Pacific, man and fish alike.

And then in the sequel he is forced to break the Meg out of a specially constructed impregnable underwater prison to stop a fusion powered cyber-octopus that eats cruise liners.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

I hope that after a mid-film battle between Jason and the Meg results in a tie, they are grudgingly forced to team up to take down a colossal enemy lobster that threatens all life in the Pacific, man and fish alike.

And then in the sequel he is forced to break the Meg out of a specially constructed impregnable underwater prison to stop a fusion powered cyber-octopus that eats cruise liners.

it's a

Spoiler

kronosaur, from the pliosaur family, but yeah, that happens.

then he

Spoiler

breaks angel out of aquaprison to take down her daughter and some male megalodons. She dies at the end.

so, yeah...

so just finished watching this and it was OK - not the best movie ive seen this summer and not the worst - its what it says on the tin Staham vs Giant shark.  One thing i guess that let it down for me was that it wasnt that gorey - very little blood in the movie just peeps and things almost getting chomped whole.  

Spoiler

at the end it litterally is Statham V giant shark as he goes mano o mano with it with just a knife and harpoon !